Spyder Garage

Default Belt alignment issues....your inputs please

Hey Team Spyder Ryders,

Floto612, disabled ryder here.....with the snow coming earlier here, I took my Spyder to my dealer for servicing, now 3 weeks later, they still cannot control the belt adjustment. BRP is not supporting them with valid inputs.

We did an engine re-alignment, still each time we set the belt to 1mm from the cog, run it up to 50 mph, the belt walks to the outside........or walks into the cog, every frick'n time.

Has anyone had this issue and what did you do to overcome it?

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Mine seems to stick pretty much where I set it... except in reverse. Then it walks a bit.

I jack the bike up... run it (at speed) in third gear... and set the alignment with it running. I leave about 1/8" clearance from the flange.

Now, with that said, the final tightening on the axle nut can push the alignment off. For example, if I position the wrench to the top of the axle and "push" it tight, the alignment is affected.

If I position the wrench under the axle and "pull" to tighten, the desired position seems to remain very close.

Quote Originally Posted by floto612 View Post
    Hey Team Spyder Ryders,

Floto612, disabled ryder here.....with the snow coming earlier here, I took my Spyder to my dealer for servicing, now 3 weeks later, they still cannot control the belt adjustment. BRP is not supporting them with valid inputs.

We did an engine re-alignment, still each time we set the belt to 1mm from the cog, run it up to 50 mph, the belt walks to the outside........or walks into the cog, every frick'n time.

Has anyone had this issue and what did you do to overcome it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is what I found also. I gave up trying to get it "Just Right". As long as it is not making heavy black marks on the flange, I leave it alone. Also, after a discussion with a BRP guy on the factory tour, I do not keep my belt real tight. In fact I keep it real loose. So far (9000 + miles) I have no issues with it. Also no groweling from the rear bearings.

The belt will move around EVERY time you use reverse. Do not let this be a concern.

Spyder Garage

I never could get it just right on my Boss Hoss but I've been pretty lucky on the Spyder. As a matter of fact when I changed the belt on Chris's Spyder I nailed it the first time. Luck of the draw I guess.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5974

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I assume the dealer has looked for free play in both the swing arm bushings or bearings, and the rear wheel bearings. Excess play in either area can make it impossible to get the alignment to stay, within reason. Bad engine bolts, or worn mounting bushings or holes, could do the same thing, but are not as likely. Also, slop in the transmission output shaft, due to bad bearings or excess end play, can do it. All these have to be eliminated as possibilities. keep in mind there could be more than one issue.

I agree with the concept of loosening the belt some, but you may have to do it yourself. BRP's spec is way too tight. Probably a cause of their requirement for replacing the rear wheel bearings frequently. I also agree with the concept of getting it "close" and being satisfied. I draw the line before "black marks" or belt debris, but as long as there is always at least room for a fingernail between either front or rear sprocket flanges, it should be OK. On our Spyder, the belt does seem to wander a tiny bit. If it wanders more than a little, hard against either flange, something is wrong. If one sided, it is an alignment/adjustment issue, even a bent frame or motor mounts. If it wanders back and forth, and can't be set, something is probably loose or sloppy somewhere. Good luck tracking it down!
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Default good thoughts...on bearing and bushings

Thx so far for your inputs!

Scotty, I think you may have something and this info I will bring to my Service Manager. Will update you as I get over this matter. floto612

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default belt tension

Make sure the dealer goes through every belt adjustment process step by step. There is as part of the adjustment involving plucking the belt for proper tension. The dealer was auto shipped a gauge to determine the frequency (tone) the belt gives off when plucked. No joke

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Nailed it on the first try.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I never could get it just right on my Boss Hoss but I've been pretty lucky on the Spyder. As a matter of fact when I changed the belt on Chris's Spyder I nailed it the first time. Luck of the draw I guess.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5974
    Thanks for the clear and concise direction. No more moaning or vibrations. I dreaded going to the dealer and for good reason. I'm a pretty good mechanic and I do have the patience needed to get it right. It took 4 drives and checks to dial it in. Great forum. Thanks