Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Yet

Spyder Garage

Default Not Yet

I don't own a Can Am spyder .... YET. Plan on selling my two dual sports first. One thing or two things that have held me back is the MPG and I never see any Spyder with side bags except the high end models. Doesn't anyone travel/camp? I have really gotten spoiled with 50+ MPG with the two I own now so it will be hard to drop back down to less than 30 MPG. Also I love to travel and camp. I pack accordingly and need side bags. Been google searching for a rack to hang a set of Givi TRK 46N but no luck. What is everyone doing for packing?

Spyder Garage

Default Really..!!!

Hopexto welcome you soon...you must be looking in the wrong places. There are soft bags, hard bags, trunks etc available for most models. The RT's are the onlt model with them built on. Givi makes them as well as corbin and of course brp. The fun factor makes up for the mpg difference...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by camogirl View Post
    I don't own a Can Am spyder .... YET. Plan on selling my two dual sports first. One thing or two things that have held me back is the MPG and I never see any Spyder with side bags except the high end models. Doesn't anyone travel/camp? I have really gotten spoiled with 50+ MPG with the two I own now so it will be hard to drop back down to less than 30 MPG. Also I love to travel and camp. I pack accordingly and need side bags. Been google searching for a rack to hang a set of Givi TRK 46N but no luck. What is everyone doing for packing?
    Here is the thing. The options are so very many. Even an RS will let you mount saddlebags. What it comes down to is what you consider travel and what you consider camping.

If you take your dual sport off road to get to remote camp grounds...it's 50/50. You will get there to be sure, but you will not go very fast off road and it could damage the machine.

Also, if you are looking to use the bags that you have on your bikes now... I doubt that will work. (Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dual Sport???

Seriously; you CAN hang bags off of any of the Spyders...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have an RS and use saddlebags and a tank bag when off on a trip.

Firstly remember on an RS/ST you have the 'frunk' i.e. a large storage area at the front. I carry my tent, sleeping bag and bedroll in my frunk.

You can use Givi EA100 throw-over panniers on an RS however because of the indicators you have to have them quite forward with means they tend to cover the pillion pegs. So they are ok if your not planning to carry a pillion and are a cheap, easy to remove option. I had these and relocated the indicators so I could also carry a pillion - I put the straps cross under the seat. the seat lifts up so still easy to remove.

The Givi V35s also fit the Spyder and they have a mounting kit for the Spyder for these. Again the indicators will need to be re-located - brackets come with the mounting kit but they are a bit naff.

Can-am also do panniers for the RS/ST - look similar to the Givi ones but the system for relocating the indicators is a bit better.

I ended up getting the V35 mounting kit for the Spyder but then just made up brackets for my EA100 panniers. In my case I use the panniers to carry 2 petrol cans, tyre repair kit, pump, water, etc. As they were going to end up smelling of petrol sooner or later it wasn't worth the cost of getting the hard panniers:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When the wife and I ride and do a few day getaway I use a 47l Givi top box that I mounted to a spare sport rack lid. I pack my stuff in the front trunk and the wife packs hers in the Givi box. The cool thing about the box is that it has a padded backrest, removes like a suitcase very easily, and removes completely when riding solo.uploadfromtaptalk1430571136262.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The new fenders... a 2013??

Spyder Garage

If you go the RT route, you'll have the frunk, trunk & 2 side saddle bags plus the option of a luggage rack.

Last edited by Purple Guy; 05-04-2015 at 09:06 AM.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The new fenders... a 2013??
    No. A 12' with 13' fenders and your 10' wheels. [emoji106]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    If you go the RT route, you'll have the frunk, trunk & 2 side saddle bags plus the option of a luggage rack.

The problem for a lot of us with the RT is that we don't ride loaded to the hilt all the time. A lot of us do more day trips with some sport riding. Having the bars in your lap just doesn't work for a lot of us as well as all the RT's extra heft just isn't conducive to the way a lot of us ride. Additionally, IMHO it's hideous looking.

The RT is a great cross country pack like a mule machine, but it is more limited on what you can do to it vs. The RS.
    Now, make all the RT luggage removable and things change a bit.
    Again....JMHO...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    No. A 12' with 13' fenders and your 10' wheels. [emoji106]
    ...Lookin' good!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=DrewNJ;970322]The problem for a lot of us with the RT is that we don't ride loaded to the hilt all the time. A lot of us do more day trips with some sport riding. Having the bars in your lap just doesn't work for a lot of us as well as all the RT's extra heft just isn't conducive to the way a lot of us ride. QUOTE]

Not everybody needs or wants the storage capacity...
    Different strokes, for different folks!
    ;

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;970328]
    The problem for a lot of us with the RT is that we don't ride loaded to the hilt all the time. A lot of us do more day trips with some sport riding. Having the bars in your lap just doesn't work for a lot of us as well as all the RT's extra heft just isn't conducive to the way a lot of us ride. QUOTE]

;
    Absolutely!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's a "disturbance in The Force"...
    We haven't disagreed over anything in about a WEEK!

Spyder Garage

Other posters have addressed your questions

My take: Gas mileage--not the 's long suit. Most that buy do not consider miles per gallon as a requirement. Realistic expectations. The 998 engine will get you 31 mpg average. The 1330 (2014 RT's and up, 2015 F3) engine will get closer to 39 mpg average.

Saddle bags are not a problem. They now come in all shapes and sizes. BRP as well as aftermarket versions. The frunk also is great for storage. And then--there are seat bag duffles, etc.

Good luck in your hunt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There's a "disturbance in The Force"...
    We haven't disagreed over anything in about a WEEK!
    Come to the dark side.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Not Yet Part 2

WOW I stand corrected. There are bags and it sounds like the MPG is better with the newer models. I don't want a RT, mostly due to cost. I like the looks of the others better at least for me. I didn't realize the trunk was so big to carry camping gear. I will be looking for a older one due to budget concerns. When I mentioned dual sport bikes of mine. One is a 2002 KLR650 and then a 2011 Vstrom DL650. I live on a gravel road to that is the dual sport for me. But I love MC camping and fishing. But due to health reasons (not ready to quit) I am thinking of the spyder.
    Love all the advice here and especially pictures. Like I didn't think / realize that there is a problem with gravel and the belt drive. Not until I read one post where one of the forum members made a cool belt shield to protect it against this. Here in Wisconsin we have lots of gravel roads.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have to "run rocks"; there are belt guards available to help reduce the chances of catching a pebble in a tender spot...

Spyder Garage

WOW I stand corrected. There are bags and it sounds like the MPG is better with the newer models. I don't want a RT, mostly due to cost. I like the looks of the others better at least for me. I didn't realize the trunk was so big to carry camping gear. I will be looking for a older one due to budget concerns. When I mentioned dual sport bikes of mine. One is a 2002 KLR650 and then a 2011 Vstrom DL650. I live on a gravel road to that is the dual sport for me. But I love MC camping and fishing. But due to health reasons (not ready to quit) I am thinking of the spyder.
    Love all the advice here and especially pictures. Like I didn't think / realize that there is a problem with gravel and the belt drive. Not until I read one post where one of the forum members made a cool belt shield to protect it against this. Here in Wisconsin we have lots of gravel roads.
    We have a lot of gravel roads here and so I fitted a SpyderPops 'missing' guard (a sponsor of this site). This was pretty cheap and did the job on normal gravel - well worth the investment.

The problem comes when you hit fresh chip and tar (and by fresh I mean the machines are still there laying it and the tars hot and sticky). The tar helps the stones stick to the wheels, and you get a shower (well more a storm) of stones off the wheels going in all directions. The worst one is the front left wheel as a lot of the stones come back towards the belt. I hit this for a couple of km's and at the end had three stones lodged in my rear sprocket when I stopped at the other end to check. The tar also helps them stick to the belt and sprocket of course. I didn't spot a fourth small one until I'd done another 50km and by then it had damaged my belt, though fortunately not enough for it to need replacing.

Just to mention it is a small tent I carry in the frunk:-)

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;970328]
    The problem for a lot of us with the RT is that we don't ride loaded to the hilt all the time. A lot of us do more day trips with some sport riding. Having the bars in your lap just doesn't work for a lot of us as well as all the RT's extra heft just isn't conducive to the way a lot of us ride. QUOTE]

;

That's why they have more than one model....
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default First Ride

I took a demo ride today on a 2015 ST. I was impressed at the comfort and scared in the curves. I did get a little better by the end of the demo. After almost 300k on 2 wheels it is hard to relearn a total different way to ride. Took my first curve at 45, it was posted at 35. The shimmy in the front scared me silly. So I figured since I was sitting straight and not counter leaning I figured it was me. So I tried riding it like my snowmobile. Ah, much better. Still it will take time to not reach for the clutch, front brake or the clutch handle.
    They did have a 2014 ST limited, but 20k is a little out of my budget range. So now I am on the hunt. Can anyone tell me which years to stay away from. Or since I will probably be looking for used is there something I should keep my eye out for?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took a demo ride today on a 2015 ST. I was impressed at the comfort and scared in the curves. I did get a little better by the end of the demo. After almost 300k on 2 wheels it is hard to relearn a total different way to ride. Took my first curve at 45, it was posted at 35. The shimmy in the front scared me silly. So I figured since I was sitting straight and not counter leaning I figured it was me. So I tried riding it like my snowmobile. Ah, much better. Still it will take time to not reach for the clutch, front brake or the clutch handle.
    They did have a 2014 ST limited, but 20k is a little out of my budget range. So now I am on the hunt. Can anyone tell me which years to stay away from. Or since I will probably be looking for used is there something I should keep my eye out for?
    Stay away from 2013..... period.

Spyder Garage

Stay away from 2013..... period.

MY 2013 ST Limited has been absolutely trouble free. Just make sure you have the 2014 air flow panels. 2013/14/15 ST is the same machine.

Maybe you meant say stay away from the 2013 RT?
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

I believe the ST only appeared on the scene in 2013, at least that's the case in NZ. So if your thinking of going for an ST then you are limited to the 2013 onwards.

Most of the heat issues with the 2013's have been with the RT's not the ST/RS's. Unfortunately all 2013's have rather unjustly been tarred with the same brush.

There was a problem with the engine mapping with the ST/RS 2013 that generated more heat but that was fixed with an update around mid 2013. The other contributing factor was the 2013 ST/RS's have a different exhaust system from the earlier RS's. From 2013 the CAT is separate and mounted under the rear of the engine which did increase the heat in the engine area. As far as I'm aware from 2014 onwards the only change that was made to the ST/RS's was some slightly modified body panels with an extra air scoops at the top to help air movement and reduce heat.

So if your looking at ST's then it's worth considering a 2013, partly because the price is likely to be good just because of the reputation of heat issues - though that may also impact your resale value of course. If you did get one though you'd want to factor in getting the updated body panels which I think someone posted cost about US$300. One of the site sponsors also does a CAT bypass which obviously also helps keep heat down.

The RS has of course been around longer and some owners have turned them into de facto ST's so if the price of ST's is still a bit high it may be worth looking at those.