Spyder Garage

Default 'E' in the gear indicator?

Folks I have a brand new 2014 rt-s se6, and while riding right after I shift (usually from 4th to 5th or 5th to 6th gear), I have sometimes seen the 'E' indicator in the display before it turns into the actual gear number. No affect on the shift at all, just a display thing. Is this a normal thing or could this be the start of the shift sensor issue I've seen listed here? I only have about 160 miles on it. Any help appreciated.

Spyder Garage

I don't know for sure but the 2014's have a ECO mode. Possibly that is why?

Just a guess?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I do have it in Eco mode but that is a different indicator in the display. This E is where the gear number is. Normally it would be R-N-1-2-3-4-5-6 OR it has the little green up arrow to indicate shift. It's just that after I shift sometimes, just before it changes from the current gear, it shows an E for a second or two and then shows the gear number I shifted into.

Spyder Garage

On previous years an E meant a gear position sensor switch issue. Sorry I can't help more on 2014 and up.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

This happens to me and I think I've seen others mention it here. For some reason, the gear isn't sensed by the gear sensor for a few seconds. It is only occasional and has always corrected itself on my Spyder. Unless it becomes a frequent issue, I wouldn't personally worry about it. I notice it every 500-1000 miles.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Well I saw this about 4-5 times just riding today (about 60 miles), so I'm not sure if I should be worried or not. I'll certainly keep my eye on it, but can it cause any problems other than just a display thing?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlg View Post
    Well I saw this about 4-5 times just riding today (about 60 miles), so I'm not sure if I should be worried or not. I'll certainly keep my eye on it, but can it cause any problems other than just a display thing?
    That is a lot. If you happen to have a GoPro or a video camera that you can keep focused on the display and running to create a record to bring into the dealership, that may help you. I had an issue with my tachometer that was intermittent, and even though I couldn't make it happen on command, once I showed my dealer the video they replaced it without any issue at all.

The only issue with it being in E mode that I know (and many here know far more than I do) is that you can't shift again until the E goes away, which can be an issue. The display is telling you what the bike "knows" and is more important than just what you are able to see.

Somebody here will be smarter than me and have more information.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

many times one needs to make positive shifts. Tapping to lightly can delay a tad and the gear sensor dosen't see the shift fast enough and indicates your between gears. Mostly newer units during the break in period.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    many times one needs to make positive shifts. Tapping to lightly can delay a tad and the gear sensor dosen't see the shift fast enough and indicates your between gears. Mostly newer units during the break in period.
    Experienced the same a few times early on. None lately.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default I see the "E"...

...but only when I'm putting it in Reverse. It goes away once it locks in...now that I know what it means I'll watch it and if it persists will tell the dealer when I take it in for the scheduled maintenance.

Spyder Garage

E indicates a GBPS (Gesr Box Position Sensor) fault or related part. The GBPS detects what gear the Spyder is in.

The E you are seeing is more likely resuling from over-reving the gear and shifting too late rather than a bad part/sensor. I say this because I too saw this error code flash when I first started riding my Spyder. The Spyder is so quiet compared to my other bikes and on my other bikes the engine noise makes it so obvious when it is time to shift whereas on my Spyder I found myself forgetting to shift up to a higher gear more than once. Shortly after seeing the E the rev limiter kicked in which would momentarily decelerate the engine to bring the RPMs to a safe speed.

Try shifting a little sooner in those gears and see if that corrects the issue
    Last edited by 3 Wheel Rider; 04-30-2015 at 10:23 PM.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it shows the proper gear once they mesh-up; it's just what you'll see in the middle of the shifting process...
    The bike literally isn't in ANY gear, and has no other way to tell you what it senses.
    Try slowing your shifts, and being more deliberate with them.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My advice is to take it in and have the dealer look at it. I had this problem and it can be an indication that your sensor is coming loose. I was out in the desert when mine came loose and I could only go into reverse after that. A tow truck came and got me. The dealer said it came loose because the manufacturer installed it incorrectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tony
    2014 RT

Mods: Adjustable side wind deflectors; Adjustable vented windshield; Rear and front trunk lights; Replaced the foot pegs with Web Boards; Gerbing heater controls; Garmin Zumo 390LM GPS; Fog lights; Front headlamp accent lights; Replaced the standard fender light bulbs with LEDs; BumpSkid; Frunk insert and stripes from WrapMySPyder; BajaRon Swaybar; Laser alignment.

Spyder Garage

Thanks 3 wheel rider and bob. It looks like I might have been too quick on the paddle shifter. When I was riding today, I made sure to hit the shifter with a solid touch and I didn't see the 'e' indicator once. I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm hoping it was the dreaded OE code (operator error) . Thanks again.