Spyder Garage

Default 2016 Spyder front ends?

Does anyone think the pending 2016 models (RS, ST, RT) will adopt the new look front end found on the F3s?

There has been very little change to those models since inception, and I'm wondering what this group of Spyder experts may be anticipating or hoping for in future models.

some are expecting the ST model to be discontinued, do you really think that's a possibility?

thanks all and ride safe

ViperWolf (work ryde & play ryde)
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No...
    The loss of frunk capacity makes it a very unlikely change...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Early soothsaying..??

ST's will stick around a bit more to see if the whole heat issue was the cause for low sales.
    The front end of the F3 was not a big hit, the loss of storage a downer and I feel that it is getting acceptance because of its other features, engine, transmission, seating, handling. If the ryde is good you can live with the look. They will leave the rest alone. Only one possibly is the RT same engine and cooling.

Question is how many models will they keep with the twin, how many will they have with the triple..?? How about a bigger twin..??

But then again who knows what lurks in the minds of designers and engineers..??
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Gene,

Re: But then again who knows what lurks in the minds of designers and engineers..???

And do you think we would actually tell people?

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just in case you were curious about the possibilities...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

A great topic for speculation. The one on here that knows is not going to talk until "the reveal day," whenever that comes this year.

The designs on all models, except for the F3, are now somewhat long in the tooth. The front ends were updated on the 2014 RT to accommodate the twin radiators for the 1330 triple.

Now that discontinued models have been brought up, I am thinking RS. It was the original and has been pretty much unchanged since its inception. Unless--they are going to use it as a permanent low price leader base model.

If not the RS for the reason I mentioned above, then the ST--since it is pretty much an RT without the top case (or bags) if you get the base model.

The 998 engine is tried and true, so I don't think that will go by the wayside for now. A bigger engine than the 1330? That could be an interesting possibility.

Even though I have bought more than one , BRP marketing and engineering has not consulted with me on any of the above.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the RT was going to get an update to the styling (unlikely...), I would guess that the rear of the bike would get new taillights that match the new Freedom trailer...
    I think that I agree with AK; something will happen with the RS...
    The question becomes...

...What?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If the RT was going to get an update to the styling (unlikely...), I would guess that the rear of the bike would get new taillights that match the new Freedom trailer...
    I think that I agree with AK; something will happen with the RS...
    The question becomes...

...What?
    I missed a rear end discussion in my previous post. Imagine that

A redesign of the rear on the RT does make sense. Match the trailer and make it a bit more modern. I like the idea.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What I'd LIKE to see for the RT...
    A top trunk that is larger: front to back
    Saddlebags that are larger in all three directions, and are top-loaders.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Just in case you were curious about the possibilities...
    UGLY! Looks like 3/4 of a halfassed car.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Somebody took a lot of time brewing it up...
    I sort of like the looks; just not the functionality...

Spyder Garage

Default Could this be...!!

Had one of these way back when in south america..Lotus super 7...could it be the inspiration for the F3...???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now that looks like almost TOO much fun!!

Spyder Garage

We all have our answers around the third week of September.

Spyder Garage

Honestly, if I would want them to change the front in any of the models it would be F3. It just doesn't go with the rest of the bike for me. I would trade my RSS (with some pain in my hard) if the front would be unique and aggressive just like the rest of the body. I think that the front is just too plain.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default what I'd like to see

Here is what I'd like to see - but remember I'm from Australia which is about a poofteenth of the market!

Bring out a low capacity 'entry level' RS - use the about 600cc triple which Can Am already have - this would meet our LAMS laws which limit power to weight capacity for learners and probationary riders for 3 years! == So many people ask me about my spyder and want to ride, but cannot or will not ride 2 wheels in Oz traffic for 3 years just to get to the spyder -- a great way to grow the market and capture riders of all ages from the start, a key to greater market penetration. Maybe Australia can piggy-back on the burgeoning Asian markets which prefer low capacity engines?? Big marketing/sales potential in this option.

KEEP the ST - I rode an RS and traded up to an ST. Yesterday I sat on an RSS in a showroom and couldn't get off fast enough. There is a market for non-RS and non-RT people. Time will tell if the F3 fills this niche, but I hope the ST stays.

As the ST frame is all set for the triple, perhaps this is the way to go for this model? I like the twin, but I have a feeling the triple will address some of the fuel range issues we have in our big country.

Inclusion of Australia and other non-American/Canadian countries in programs such as extended warranty and mileage badges.

As it's morning here and I've only had one cup of coffee (ie brain not quite in gear), and the sun is shining so the road beckons, that's all for the moment. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    UGLY! Looks like 3/4 of a halfassed car.
    Ugly I like the way the 14RT'S look. I hope that they don't change. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From a GS owner. There needs to be a sleek sporty model in the lineup. Keep the ST only put in a bigger engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I posted that picture of the RT with the F3 front end months ago and Lamont specifically said that was not going to happen.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I would like to see a "mini Bike" version of the spyder for the kids to ride around in the fields. It would be a great way yo get them addicted young. It might even lead to an enduro model that would be practical for those of us that live out in the middle of nowhere.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

We are all just guessing, but I could easily imagine that next year will see the RS get some attention, with an updated, but not strikingly different, front end and body. The main update that I would see coming is a 1330 engine and the six speed transmission. To me, since the RS is the sport model, the faster engine seems like high possibility this year.

Generally, we've seen that in any given year this is one, and only one, major innovation (if that). I doubt their resources extend beyond that in terms of R&D and manufacturing. This year was the F3, last year the 1330 in the RT (likely intended for 2013), and the ST was the major introduction that year.

I rarely see ST's on the road, in the dealerships, or on this forum, and don't think they are big sellers. If anything is discontinued to simplify the line, I think that that would be the one they would let go. People who would otherwise purchase and ST will end up choosing between the other models, but I think they will still be buyers.

Wait, were we taking about front ends....

Sorry, never mind.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I would like to see a "mini Bike" version of the spyder for the kids to ride around in the fields. It would be a great way yo get them addicted young. It might even lead to an enduro model that would be practical for those of us that live out in the middle of nowhere.

Just sayin'............
    Here you go! While not a mini bike with any sort of power... you can get them started early on!

http://www.amazon.com/SPORTrax-Spyde...m=AN4NU7QQUSSD

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black