Thread: CBs

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder CB

I have had the Spyder CB installed on my 2013 and 2014 RT. I moved away from the Sena because the group I do long distance touring with each summer (Country Roads Group Riding) uses only CBs for inter-bike communication. On both bikes I replaced the OEM CB antenna with the J&M CB antenna. It is supposed to be matched to the Spyder CB.

As others have said, the range is no more than a mile and less than that usually. Even in the flatlands of Nebraska and the Dakotas last summer, reception was line of sight.

The documentation is basically useless. I have struggled with the relationship between volume and squelch (I know about both having been a ham since the 1970s). Kick the volume up so reception can be heard and the squelch is activated. Raise the squelch and i can't hear the receive because it blocks it.

In my full-face helmet, I have the BRP headset installed. The cord is too short. My friends with Harleys and Goldwings have wonderful, long cords from helmet to bike. In my 3/4 helmet, I use the J&M headset the cord of which is slightly longer than the BRP.

I have looked for local CB repairmen who could check the SWR and install a small, 10 watt amp in line for a boost in the transmission. There is no one in my area who repairs CB and the one radio comm shop won't touch it.

What we need, in my opinion, is for someone knowledgeable about CB to test the Spyder unit and to find the right antenna and right amp for it with installation instructions. I had hoped BRP might step up to the challenge but there are so few installed that is probably not worth the time and effort.

I would never have installed the BRP CB; I was more than satisfied with my Sena. But I need to be able to communicate with the leader and other members of the group I ride with so I had it put in.

ken tompkins

Spyder Garage

I ride under the same situation as kenthompson. I use a midlands portable cb with sena sr10 and the smh10 headset. I also use a firestik non-groundplane antenna. At best it is still line of site and i can communicate with one Harley guy 3/4 mile but another not over 1/4 mile. So even other company's have problems. CB is not great on bikes. This way is better then the grand or better you would invest in the BRP unit.

I have used sena bluetooth for years and get as good range but not as easy for group talks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Based on my "old CB days" a CB really needs a good ground plane. Cars are good because they are large and all metal. This is also why semi truckers could get HUGE transmission distances and skips.

The Spyder and motorcycles are much less massive in general. Thus I do not think any CB will do well even one peaked and tweaked. We just do not have the ground plane mass.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up My experience

I would love to share my CB experience, but I have never heard an incoming sound nor has anyone ever responded when I tried to transmit. I don't know if this was the result of installation error when the installer hooked the center lead of the coax to the same stud that they hooked the ground strap to. I have a new antenna and will try it when I face the replacement of the water pump seal, the hoses, and the thermostat housing and can get the RT back together.

Remember to live before you die.

Spyder Garage

HOG riders I know (and my own experience) have minimum problems with their CBs and we typically get @ 3mile coverage from the scout to the rear lead on the open road.

Considering the sam company makes them for both HD and Can-Am, I'm at a loss as to why the Can-AM is the pits and the H-D shines.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Based on my "old CB days" a CB really needs a good ground plane. Cars are good because they are large and all metal. This is also why semi truckers could get HUGE transmission distances and skips.

The Spyder and motorcycles are much less massive in general. Thus I do not think any CB will do well even one peaked and tweaked. We just do not have the ground plane mass.

Bob

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    HOG riders I know (and my own experience) have minimum problems with their CBs and we typically get @ 3mile coverage from the scout to the rear lead on the open road.

Considering the sam company makes them for both HD and Can-Am, I'm at a loss as to why the Can-AM is the pits and the H-D shines.

AJ
    Well I cannot relate to 3 miles to be honest. Back in my "CB days" I could get way more than that (like 30 miles average) and on some days based on atmospheric conditions, skips both directions 100 miles was not uncommon.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vidman View Post
    I ride under the same situation as kenthompson. I use a midlands portable cb with sena sr10 and the smh10 headset. I also use a firestik non-groundplane antenna. At best it is still line of site and i can communicate with one Harley guy 3/4 mile but another not over 1/4 mile. So even other company's have problems. CB is not great on bikes. This way is better then the grand or better you would invest in the BRP unit.

I have used sena bluetooth for years and get as good range but not as easy for group talks.
    I just bought the sena 20S bluetooth headset and the sena SR10 dongle and a midland portable CB I want to to try and use a 24"rubber antenna to see how I far I can communicate.
    Before I try to figure out how to mount a No Ground Plane CB antenna to the spyder RT.

I had the BRP CB/Comm system on my 2010 RT and it did not work very well at all. Such a waste of money !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    I just bought the sena 20S bluetooth headset and the sena SR10 dongle and a midland portable CB I want to to try and use a 24"rubber antenna to see how I far I can communicate.
    Before I try to figure out how to mount a No Ground Plane CB antenna to the spyder RT.

I had the BRP CB/Comm system on my 2010 RT and it did not work very well at all. Such a waste of money !
    I ran with an older RS portable with a rubber ducky type portable antenna. I got like 1/4 mile at best.

I mounted my Firestick to the luggage rack on my RT. I am still attempting to think of a way to mount the antenna into the slot where the CanAm antenna goes. I am also hoping Finless does a video to use the PTT button on the bike with the SR10.