Spyder Garage

Default How long have your Elka Shocks ....

Lasted before needing service? Did you do preventive maintance or send them in when they leaked?
    Last edited by Buggy; 04-29-2015 at 10:04 PM.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

the first set i had lasted a couple of months b4 one leaked. sent them back and now the set i have are almost a year old with no problems
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

seems like a lot of elka issues croping up all of a sudden. Didn't know they were such high maintenance shocks. Don't have them can't afford them and from the latest don't want them. Have to look into the Race Tech shocks or Fox...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I've had mine a little over a year and 6000 miles. So far no problems and they work VERY well. But with the recent developments, I could no longer recommend them with the lack of customer support and poor longevity.

I can say I was NOT told about an annual rebuild requirement nor was there any 'fine print paperwork' in the box so stating. I got nothing but the shocks, preset and preloaded for my bike from Pitbull. They have been perfect so no difficulty with Pitbull and they had them in stock and shipped quickly.

If Elka does not want to loose this market entirely, they need to step up and up their game. They are far too expensive an option to be without MFG support.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Originally purchased mine at Spyderfest 2012, since then I've put on roughly 15,000 miles and have never had them serviced. I've had no problems at all. At time of purchase I was also unaware of its maintenance schedule. Regardless I would not purchase them again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk
    2011 Pearl White RT Limited
    HMT Brake Light, Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Lights, GloRyders, Seal Floorboards, Powerlet 12V, Garage Door Momentary Button, Bump Skid, Elka's Stage 1, Ultimate Sea, Air Wings

Member of the Woodstock Spyder Ryders (Illinois)

Spyder Garage

500 miles on mine and both have to go to WV to be serviced at my expense....pissed

Spyder Garage

I had my Elka's for almost 5 years and never touched them.

Spyder Garage

Default Update on service requirements - Elka Shocks

Having an order placed for Stage 2 shocks I was concerned to read about the yearly service requirements and so I called Elka for clarification fully prepared to cancel my order. I spoke with Sebastien at Elka. He explained that the yearly service recommendation was aimed at shocks used in a competive situation and should not be applied to a shock used in a normal street riding scenario like most Spyder encounter. He estimated that shocks used in that manner could last 4-5 years before requiring service. Sebastien said he has seen shocks used in motocross when inspected after a full season still meeting specs. This information gave me the confidence to continue with my order. At least they are serviceable after a few years service, (hopefully), better that than a throw away unit.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Hello,

Like all suspension, the oil inside the shocks have a lifespan which is influenced by many factors:

- mileage
    - type of mileage or use
    - quality of the oil
    - quality of the internal suspension components
    - quality of engineering and design.

That being said, there is no need to get your Elka shocks serviced after 1 year. This recommendation is more suited to our offroad customers who subject their suspension components to considerably more abuse that what they are exposed to on your Spyders.
    Our suspension products do not require more maintenance than our competitors, so for those of you who currently have our products and have expressed concern about service intervals, rest assured that there are no issues with the quality of our products.

Regards,

John Ilkiw
    Elka Suspension