Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Sprocket issues

Not looking good. Popping sound from front sprocket. Bolt was loose, re-torqued 85ft-lbs, sound gone. 2 times around neighborhood and it was back loose less than 30-40 ft-lbs. scheduled to leave for SpyderFest Wednesday morning. Dealership closed on Monday. Not sure if it is the bolt, shaft, or sprocket. Not in such a great mood right now. [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]Torqued bolt 3-4 k miles ago. Hopefully I can get this resolved before Wednesday morning. 2008 GS SM5 26k miles. HELP!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

You're right. Doesn't sound good. I wish I had some encouragement for you but it sounds like your splines may be gone. Hopefully, if this is the case, they are only gone on the sprocket. Not on the shaft.

One note though, there is supposed to be lock-tite on the bolt threads to keep it from backing out. If, when the bolt is tight, you don't get slippage. You may be able to get by if you can keep the bolt tight. But it is likely that at least some, if not most of your splines are gone. I would want to know how bad it is before I went long distance on it.

You might take the pulley off and see what you're actually dealing with in that respect. If you take the lower bolt out of your rear shock, raise the Spyder to where the belt is loose. You can remove the sprocket without having to readjust, align the belt when you're done.

Good luck and i wish you the best.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

though you don't mention any slipage just popping sound I would say it is in the bolt. As Ron mentioned, loctite is required to keep the bolt from backing off. I have seen posts to this effect. If you can pull the bolt and check the treads and shaft for deformaties (stretching) replace it if you can and loctite it. Test ryde it some more. But best would be as Ron said...pull it all apart and inspect it all...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

This has Happened to Spyderpops many times on his GS in 90K or so. He's been able to replace his sprocket without changing the shaft.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Not looking good

Quote Originally Posted by DunaJ View Post
    Not looking good. Popping sound from front sprocket. Bolt was loose, re-torqued 85ft-lbs, sound gone. 2 times around neighborhood and it was back loose less than 30-40 ft-lbs. scheduled to leave for SpyderFest Wednesday morning. Dealership closed on Monday. Not sure if it is the bolt, shaft, or sprocket. Not in such a great mood right now. [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]Torqued bolt 3-4 k miles ago. Hopefully I can get this resolved before Wednesday morning. 2008 GS SM5 26k miles. HELP!!!!!!!!

That sucks! Maybe your dealer has a demo Spyder that needs a couple thousand miles put on it

Spyder Garage

Just checked closest open dealership (30 miles) and they don't have the sprocket in stock. They said it shows closest dealership that has it in sock is in MO >400 miles away. Don't know if I should wait until dealerships open tomorrow or see if the dealerships in MO CAN overnight it. Drama!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Seems that most dealerships are closed on Mondays. Anyone know where I may be able to get a sprocket overnight delivery to Dallas, Texas????? Still keeping hope alive to attend SpyderFest 2015!!!!! Thanks in Advance for all your help!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Seems that most dealerships are closed on Mondays. Anyone know where I may be able to get a sprocket overnight delivery to Dallas, Texas????? Still keeping hope alive to attend SpyderFest 2015!!!!! Thanks in Advance for all your help!!!!!

I assume since you are trying to get a new sprocket that you have removed the old one and found that the shaft is OK? Got a few pics?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I haven't removed the old sprocket yet. Didn't want to without replacement part in hand. I really don't want to chance just changing the bolt when history indicates the sprocket fails.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I haven't removed the old sprocket yet. Didn't want to without replacement part in hand. I really don't want to chance just changing the bolt when history indicates the sprocket fails.
    I just went through this a week ago on a friends 2008 GS (see http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...highlight=elkk) The sprocket is designed to be softer than the shaft so I doubt your output shaft is hurt at all. The sprocket is $105 and there was a spare in STL at Big St. Charles Motor Sports (636) 946-6487 and there is one in their sister store in Nashville IL. The bolt is hard to find locally, I tried 3 hardware stores and finally found one at NAPA Auto Parts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by elkk View Post
    I just went through this a week ago on a friends 2008 GS (see http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...highlight=elkk) The sprocket is designed to be softer than the shaft so I doubt your output shaft is hurt at all. The sprocket is $105 and there was a spare in STL at Big St. Charles Motor Sports (636) 946-6487 and there is one in their sister store in Nashville IL. The bolt is hard to find locally, I tried 3 hardware stores and finally found one at NAPA Auto Parts.
    Thanks for the information!!!!! I will call them.

Spyder Garage

I just called and Big St Charles Motor Sports no longer has sprocket part number 705501201 in stock. I guess I will keep looking!!!!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just called and Big St Charles Motor Sports no longer has sprocket part number 705501201 in stock. I guess I will keep looking!!!!!!!

I guarantee you either Big St. Charles Motorsports (Ron is parts manager) or Holzhauer Motorsports in Nashville IL 618-327-4005 (Dan) has it in stock under one of these part numbers: Nashville had it under the old part number.

New Part Number is 705501201 This Part Replaces

705500744, 705501239

*** Any one of these part# will work ***

I know because They had 2 that I ordered, and I only took one, just 10 days ago.

Spyder Garage

Why not pull the bolt and the front sprocket. It's not that hard unless you have quite a bit of damage to your parts. Plus, if you have a bad shaft (which is not likely but possible) paying a bunch of money to overnight a new pulley isn't going to do it for you anyway. Check it out and you may find that you can put it back together with locktite on the bolt and make it to Spyderfest. Pitbull may have a sprocket or you can get one shipped there.

Granted, a bit more adventurous than the average person might suggest. And it's easy to tell someone else that they should give it a go. But honestly, if there is enough spline left on the pulley and you know the bolt will stay put. It might beat waiting for a sprocket to show up a day late and a dollar short.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Try this..!!

cheapcycleparts.com...front sproket #705501201 @ $90.47. Check with them always done me right...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430221984.359335.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430222002.800187.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430222016.976888.jpg

Well pulled the sprocket and it needs replaced. Shaft splines look good. Now the search for a replacement sprocket begins!!!!! Thanks to everyone of this site for such good information and advise!!!!!! If you know of a sprocket please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

I have to disagree about the splines on the shaft. They don't look good to me IMHO. The shaft needs to be replaced too, but not right away. If it was mine I would put a new sprocket on. Continue to drive it and make arrangements to get it fixed properly.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I have to disagree about the splines on the shaft. They don't look good to me IMHO. The shaft needs to be replaced too, but not right away. If it was mine I would put a new sprocket on. Continue to drive it and make arrangements to get it fixed properly.
    Does anyone have a picture of what a good shaft splines look like?????

Spyder Garage

It is hard to tell for sure about the shaft splines with the shadows and angle of the pictures. But they look good enough to me. Close shots tend to get a bit distorted so that could account for some of the splines looking a bit torqued. You'll know better when you run a new sprocket on. It will be easier to tell if there is any deformity in the shaft splines.

It does look like your shaft seal is leaking. Might have been hogged out by some wobble in the sprocket when it was coming loose. Not bad enough to be a problem but I'm wondering if a new seal might not be a bad idea while you're there. Get a new bolt too! And of course the lock tite which was probably missing from the beginning.

Good Luck! You're headed in the right direction now!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

Get a new bolt too! And of course the lock tite which was probably missing from the beginning.

Good Luck! You're headed in the right direction now!
    Which loctite to use? Blue or Red???

Spyder Garage

Which loctite to use? Blue or Red???

I am not sure what is recommended. But I would not use Red (even if recommended). If you use the Red then that is the last time you will ever get that bolt off. You might as well weld it on!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Having just gone through this 2 weeks ago on a friends 2008 GS SE5, I have to disagree..the splines on the shaft look fine, it's a hardened shaft, the sprocket is pot metal and much softer material. If the spline (main) shaft needs to be replaced it's all over for a 2008 GS with 28k miles on it. Minimum dealer parts and labor exceeds $3500.00. Major job. Some dealers wanna sell you a short block.

Get the new sprocket, new bolt, red loctite and torque it to 85flb and ride it for another 28k miles (check the bolt at each oli change).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by elkk View Post
    Having just gone through this 2 weeks ago on a friends 2008 GS SE5, I have to disagree..the splines on the shaft look fine, it's a hardened shaft, the sprocket is pot metal and much softer material. If the spline (main) shaft needs to be replaced it's all over for a 2008 GS with 28k miles on it. Minimum dealer parts and labor exceeds $3500.00. Major job. Some dealers wanna sell you a short block.

Get the new sprocket, new bolt, red loctite and torque it to 85flb and ride it for another 28k miles (check the bolt at each oli change).
    Where did the flats go on the top of the splines?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Not all output shafts have wide splines with the spline peak flat and matching the shaft OD. My KTM uses a fine spline on the output shaft. It does have small narrow flats at the top, nothing like a Japanese bike. Those shafts do get destroyed since the steel countershaft sprocket is secured by a snapring and the movement wears the shaft.

I am not sure if wear exists from the photos, but they don't look bad either. Personally, I would slide the tip of a scribe or similar along the splines length and inspect for a worn step. From there decide what action to take.

FWIW, prior to installing the bolt with threadlocker, ensure cleanliness of the threads both on the bolt and inside the shaft. Something that cleans and dries with no residue is best. Some say Brakleen does leave a residue but I have used it for ears with no issues when using threadlockers.

All the best with it.

PK

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Billy..not sure about the flats on that shaft, may have never had them or the photo might not show them well. The softer pulley could not have caused that much damage to the hardened shaft. Take a look at my link http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...highlight=elkk I think he will be fine.