Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thanks folks!
    A little worried I have not heard from the dealer yet about the warranty claim.....
    I will wait till this afternoon and call then.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

No news... is good news...

Spyder Garage

Just got a call from the dealer. Good news is BRP acknowledged the warranty work. Bad news as I suspected, the dealer doesn't have the clutch housing gasket and seals in stock. I figured that would be the case but its understandable. Now outlook for my Spyder to be fixed is mid next week. If all goes well, looks like I will be able to ride the Bert's canyon cruise May 9th. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Sniff, sniff...
    Darth is at the dealer now. Now awaiting how long it will take based on any possible parts they do not have and will need to order....
    NorCalBud, I did chat with Niles at Bert's about the service schedule. They are going to confirm the Ca. thing. Either way if Ca. is excluded, it's because of Ca. EPA reasons not because there is a strange vortex in Ca. causing service schedules to be different
    FYI if you want the Service Bulletin that went to dealers AND the letter that went to users/customers. Here is a ZIP containing both.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9B...ew?usp=sharing

Bob
    Thanks for the info Bob! I somehow missed that info, but that's exactly why I asked about it. I just turned 12k miles and have been attempting to stay current with the schedule. But a 2k mile reprieve can sure help when I have Spyder, car and Truck Insurance due this month.
    I'm glad things are working out well for you so far regarding the "foreign matter".
    Thanks again!
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Spyder Garage

Finless is not happy being Spyderless

Would have loved to have gone for a ride this weekend......

Hopefully only a few more days and I will have it back

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe you can hang out in the showroom; bumming test rides on all of the bikes...
    Don't forget to drink up ALL of the coffee, eat every donut, ad ask a gazillion questions to anybody within earshot...

They'll find a way to get the parts, and get you out of there!

Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Just curious did you do the valve lash check?

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Just curious did you do the valve lash check?

JT
    Yes I figured since they are going to tear it down I am having everything done now for the 14K service except what I had already done (plugs and wires). My estimate is $900 not counting my SRA-LA discount and of course minus the warranty work for the set screw.

I also did an oil change and they think they will be able to do everything without dumping it but I told them to do it if they had any indication they needed to since the valve covers will be off.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Yes I figured since they are going to tear it down I am having everything done now for the 14K service except what I had already done (plugs and wires). My estimate is $900 not counting my SRA-LA discount and of course minus the warranty work for the set screw.

I also did an oil change and they think they will be able to do everything without dumping it but I told them to do it if they had any indication they needed to since the valve covers will be off.

Bob
    Since the valve covers are off did you tell them to fix the oil in the air box issue you said you had in another post. It is a reasonably easy fix.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Since the valve covers are off did you tell them to fix the oil in the air box issue you said you had in another post. It is a reasonably easy fix.
    The oil leak was not from the air box. It was caused by oil squirting from that set screw hole forcing it up between the clutch housing the and engine case. It was not from the air box.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

The oil leak was not from the air box. It was caused by oil squirting from that set screw hole forcing it up between the clutch housing the and engine case. It was not from the air box.

Bob
    I know that. In another thread a couple of weeks ago in a discussion about excessive oil in the air box. I thought it was you that said that posted that you had this problem. If so time good to fix it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Awe CRAP!

Well talked to my dealer today.

Best case I wont get my Spyder till Friday now.
    I kind of expected that due to the job needed with removing the clutch housing and for SURE I do not want them to be rushed.

In the end I have a feeling I may not be riding at the Bert's Canyon ride this year here in SoCal.

It's better to have my Spyder done right than rushed for this ride and I told them that!!!!
    I told Bryan (the service manager), it needs to be RIGHT not half assed as I am extremely picky and will be checking their work.

We agreed that Friday was a best case scenario but agreed I as a customer won't be upset if not. Again I want it done right not rushed for a ride my dealer is SPONSORING this weekend!!!!!

In the end I was hoping that my entire Spyder ownership life I would not need a warranty call and work done. Pisses me off that one little set screw caused all this grief and leads to a MAJOR TEAR DOWN of my Spyder's engine

I will just say that now I am not sure the reliability of the Spyder is not in question.
    Earlier I thought all these warranty claims were a figment of being online. e.g you hear more about the problems online than the people that don't have problems...
    Alas, add me to the list of being a Spyder owner AND having to see a dealer for a issue requiring MAJOR work.
    I do not like that as to DATE, I have never owned anything that something like this happened! No car, no previous motorcycle, NADA!

I was chatting with my wife over last weekend, and if I honestly get one more issue like this, I am done and going to pick up something else. If my dealer screws this work up, that will be it for me and BRP. It's at a platinum dealer and should get done properly (yet,,,, I am worried). Sorry, but I cannot go through this again!

If you cannot trust what you ride, then the fun of riding goes bye bye...

Sorry to be negative but alas, not that happy right now

I am hoping this is a one time occurrence and the rest of my Spyder ownership will be good!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 05-05-2015 at 08:06 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Bob they'll get you running right they know they better! You're a celebrity! They could at least give you a loaner to ride if they don't finish it on time!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    Bob they'll get you running right they know they better! You're a celebrity! They could at least give you a loaner to ride if they don't finish it on time!
    When I get a status today I will ask about the possibility of a loaner for the ride.

As for the celebrity thing (which I am not in my opinion). I doubt my dealer even knows anything about me (I am sure they don't in fact) and thus I doubt I would get any special handling over any other customer. But thanks for the positive thinking

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bob, our dealer here lent an F3S to Rick last weekend, it doesn't hurt to ask.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Bob, our dealer here lent an F3S to Rick last weekend, it doesn't hurt to ask.
    Yes I saw all that on facebook.. That was cool they did that!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

And the saga continues....

I wont have it now till Saturday AM (my choice and I wont go into why).

One thing I learned from this is service managers can be full of hoowie!!! They are sales men that don't really know the answer and like to "sell you that they are taking care of you". Well not trying to say all are but in this case, this one was....

When I called at 10:30 AM today for a status, the manager said "Oh yea... the tech is about ready to button it up!".
    I said "OK I can be there about 2:00". He paused and then said, "end of the day"

WTH? How do you go from just about ready to button it up to end of the day?

So 2 hours later I called and this time asked specifically asked for the service writer I first worked with (I guess the assistant manager).
    He said "The tech has about 5-6 hours more work and just started this AM. It might be ready by the end of the day".
    I am like WHAT!!!!
    I said to him, your manager told me on Tuesday the parts arrived and the tech started that day!!!!!

I hate BS slinging to put off having to listen to a customer complain. JUST TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!
    I would not have been upset if the manager just told me on Tuesday they could not start till Thursday and explain why..... Yes I would not have been happy but I would have understood! Sheesh

I mean come on... I realize a service manager has to balance customer satisfaction and getting the job done. My bike is not the only one in the shop being worked on... I get it.... But to flat out BS... Someone needs to teach these people real customer service... Sometimes you have to tell the BAD with the good and have the people skills to deal with someone that may not be happy about the parts being in but that you cannot start the work for 2 more days... Don't lie to a customer just to get out of having to deal with them not being happy, it just bites you in the tail end later anyway!
    So you know why I say this. I was a Customer Field Service person for Xerox for years. I know how to treat customers and workload demands! Telling them the truth thus building a long term trust, is way better than spinning tangled webs!

OK so sorry for my rant.... I fully trust the tech at this dealer but if I ever have to go there again, I will avoid the service manager and talk to the people doing the work to get the straight poop.

Anyway, there is light at the end of the tunnel

Now just to hope it all got done right.......

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 05-07-2015 at 06:13 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Good luck
    hope everything goes well
    And you can rant about not telling the truth all you want because I hate it if they give me a line of BS
    and if I find out about it I usually go to their boss
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Like we got the wherewithal to buy spyders cause we're dumb?
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

And the saga continues....

I wont have it now till Saturday AM (my choice and I wont go into why).

One thing I learned from this is service managers can be full of hoowie!!! They are sales men that don't really know the answer and like to "sell you that they are taking care of you". Well not trying to say all are but in this case, this one was....

When I called at 10:30 AM today for a status, the manager said "Oh yea... the tech is about ready to button it up!".
    I said "OK I can be there about 2:00". He paused and then said, "end of the day"

WTH? How do you go from just about ready to button it up to end of the day?

So 2 hours later I called and this time asked specifically asked for the service writer I first worked with (I guess the assistant manager).
    He said "The tech has about 5-6 hours more work and just started this AM. It might be ready by the end of the day".
    I am like WHAT!!!!
    I said to him, your manager told me on Tuesday the parts arrived and the tech started that day!!!!!

I hate BS slinging to put off having to listen to a customer complain. JUST TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!
    I would not have been upset if the manager just told me on Tuesday they could not start till Thursday and explain why..... Yes I would not have been happy but I would have understood! Sheesh

I mean come on... I realize a service manager has to balance customer satisfaction and getting the job done. My bike is not the only one in the shop being worked on... I get it.... But to flat out BS... Someone needs to teach these people real customer service... Sometimes you have to tell the BAD with the good and have the people skills to deal with someone that may not be happy about the parts being in but that you cannot start the work for 2 more days... Don't lie to a customer just to get out of having to deal with them not being happy, it just bites you in the tail end later anyway!
    So you know why I say this. I was a Customer Field Service person for Xerox for years. I know how to treat customers and workload demands! Telling them the truth thus building a long term trust, is way better than spinning tangled webs!

OK so sorry for my rant.... I fully trust the tech at this dealer but if I ever have to go there again, I will avoid the service manager and talk to the people doing the work to get the straight poop.

Anyway, there is light at the end of the tunnel

Now just to hope it all got done right.......

Bob
    I agree with you about service dept. Just tell the truth it will be a lot easier in the end. Telling the Customer what they think they want hear just does not build trust.

I hope that light at the end of the tunnel is not a train.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Funny Billy funny.....

So just a little reasoning why I decided to pick it up Saturday morning instead of today.

Saturday morning is a ride with hundreds of Spyders that my dealer is sponsoring. I go every year. I don't want to say the dealers name but you all smart people can figure it out if you want

Anyway, today a bad weather system is going through and it was predicted yesterday. Even the service writer told me yesterday he was not going to ride in either. High winds and big down pours of rain. Last night was crazy too! At about 1:00 AM a small twister came through here.... Do damage or anything but sounded like a freight train. Pretty scary for Ca.

Anyway on to my reasoning. I could pick it up today and ride in the rain. But then I thought,,,,, if I have any post service issues and breakdown, it wont be fun standing in the rain on the side of some freeway waiting for a tow!
    Tomorrow there is no rain and the storm will have passed. For the BIG RIDE, the dealer will be having chase trucks that can tow Spyders. Also the ride is through twisties and up a mountain from sea level to almost 6,000 feet! So it will be a somewhat hard ride. I figure if something screws up, it will happen on this ride and a chase truck can get me back to the same dealer it was fixed at! So I pick up my Spyder that morning 1 hour before the ride starts!

Not a bad deal aye? I am going to ride my Spyder as hard as I can

I guess in the end, this turned out to be pretty good timing wouldn't you say?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Bob, have a good and safe ride tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdr View Post
    Bob, have a good and safe ride tomorrow.

Thanks! I hope too!

Here is how many were at the ride last year. I expect it will be more this year. If I breakdown, pretty sure all will be OK

Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Keep us posted
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

The day has come!

See you all on the other side...

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black