Spyder Garage

Default I can't counter steer

So I try to lean into the turn in a kind of exaggerated manner, but the seat is grabby and won't let me move far. Even at low speed, there is quite a lot of centrifugal force to overcome. So I don't think what I am doing would work well at any speeds above 20 mph. Any tips for a former sport bike rider who wants to do the twisties?
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Do you countersteer your car?? Spyder steers like a car.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Count the wheels...one, two, three. Many of the twisty riders use body lean to keep them from being thrown off the Spyder from the counter force of the turn. I can't tell you how to do this because I am a very conservative rider. But counter stearing is not to be had on a Spyder, from what I understand. After 100,000 combined miles on 3 Spyders and over 500,000 accident free miles on 2 wheels, that's all the experience I have.
    Last edited by Dudley; 04-24-2015 at 08:09 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    So I try to lean into the turn in a kind of exaggerated manner, but the seat is grabby and won't let me move far. Even at low speed, there is quite a lot of centrifugal force to overcome. So I don't think what I am doing would work well at any speeds above 20 mph. Any tips for a former sport bike rider who wants to do the twisties?
    You need to unlearn the unconscious act of counter steering... it will lead you to disaster on a Spyder.

This machine is not like a two wheeled vehicle. Drive it like you would a Cobra, a Vette or a Lambo. It has similar characteristics.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In the twists, I stay on my feet about as much as on the seat. That way I can shift my whole body as needed to counterbalance.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I am unlearning 58 years of motorcycles. Now that I have learned to dig the thigh into the fake tank and plant the other foot on the peg on curves, life on a Spyder is much better. The only motorcycle likeness with a Spyder is, the wind blows in ya face and you can fall off!
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Default Exactly . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    I am unlearning 58 years of motorcycles. Now that I have learned to dig the thigh into the fake tank and plant the other foot on the peg on curves, life on a Spyder is much better. The only motorcycle likeness with a Spyder is, the wind blows in ya face and you can fall off!
    . . . . . as you go into a turn to the Left, straighten your Right Leg and "stand" on the peg - it will support your bodies weight and the centrifugal force acting on it. Your butt will come up off and back into the seat a little providing a nice firm brace. And keep your Left knee snug to the F3's body. Your hips may twist a little, but your torso can stay upright with hardly any effort. When I do that, I never feel like I am being pushed off the bike - it feels more like skiing.

The other part of that I think most people miss is that you are Pulling the Left handlebar grip in and Pushing the Right grip/throttle out - not hard, but keeping it in balance for the turn and control of the throttle. That supports your upper body. I find I tend to lean a little left, but nothing like being on a bike and in a left turn that is mostly from tucking in my elbow from pulling the handlebars.

There is a lot going on ( throttle, handlebar, ready on the brake, ect. ) so take it easy at first, but if you "stand" on the peg, you should not feel like you are being pushed off the bike.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default STEERING

The Spyders are Motorcycles in NAME / category only...............drive it like a car or you are going in the DITCH fast......JMHO.....Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Being a former crotch rocket rider and also a sport touring rider as in ST1100 & ST1300 you can not counter steer
    a Spyder ... it does not lean... for those who don't know what counter steer is... that means you lean the opposite
    way you are turning, with the Spyder or any type of Quad you must lean into the turn or you will be thrown off.
    I must say I do miss 2 wheels and am looking for another ST1100.... like in my avatar
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Default Formula...one

What I have found is it is like driving a formula one car while on horseback. Turn it into the turns like a car shift your weight to stay on and be comfortable. If you over do it the nanny will scold you by countering for you. Relax you will get the hang of it and love it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Neither can I!! At least not on a Spyder!
    Worry not Rogue Hawk! You'll soon get used to the differences. All you have to do is
    simply forget everything you learned about riding on two wheels!
    As you have an F3, your learning curve will be slightly easier than with an RS or RT.
    You sit in the F3 and much lower thus the forces that seem to want to throw you off the bike
    are much reduced.
    Give it a couple of hundred miles and you'll have it down pat!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Of COURSE you can counter-steer...

...right before the whole crashing part comes into play...

Read the riding tips in your manual.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . . as you go into a turn to the Left, straighten your Right Leg and "stand" on the peg - it will support your bodies weight and the centrifugal force acting on it. Your butt will come up off and back into the seat a little providing a nice firm brace. And keep your Left knee snug to the F3's body. Your hips may twist a little, but your torso can stay upright with hardly any effort. When I do that, I never feel like I am being pushed off the bike - it feels more like skiing.

The other part of that I think most people miss is that you are Pulling the Left handlebar grip in and Pushing the Right grip/throttle out - not hard, but keeping it in balance for the turn and control of the throttle. That supports your upper body. I find I tend to lean a little left, but nothing like being on a bike and in a left turn that is mostly from tucking in my elbow from pulling the handlebars.

There is a lot going on ( throttle, handlebar, ready on the brake, ect. ) so take it easy at first, but if you "stand" on the peg, you should not feel like you are being pushed off the bike.

Tom
    Ha, 10-4 Tom that is what I wanted to say. Sure made a difference for me. I went out and flogged tht Blue Ridge Parkway gap road this week, WOW.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lean your body into the turn. Move your head toward the handlebar grip on the inside of the turn. You will be able to attack the twisties. No counter steering! Just steering.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    What I have found is it is like driving a formula one car while on horseback. ..

That is the best description I have read so far.... and it is very accurate.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Yes, thanks. Some very logical ways to handle it.

I wonder if anyone ever made a three wheeler than leans like a bike. I'm not a mechanical engineer, so I don't know if that would work.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Default The answer is . . . .

Yes, thanks. Some very logical ways to handle it.

I wonder if anyone ever made a three wheeler than leans like a bike. I'm not a mechanical engineer, so I don't know if that would work.
    . . . . Yes, they have. No, it isn't really practical or useful. Remember, like many have stated, it is steering, like a car. If it was a good thing to lean the body ( beyond the normal suspension ), race cars would do it.

Spyders are made to be ridden, they are not a means of conveyance like an elevator or escalator where you passively stand around while you are being moved.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Countersteering

The inability to countersteer didn't bother me as much as having no front brake lever. Last time I had that was fifty years ago when I removed the front brake on my Harley chopper because it was cool!! I still go for the front brake lever, fifty years of muscle memory is hard to ignore...

Spyder Garage

I think you can't still incorporate a lot of what you used when riding two wheels.When approaching a corner, move to the outside of the lane before entering the curve. I always hold my knees into the tank head level same as on two wheels. Look through the turn. I ride with a guy who Raced bike's for many years and watching him do twisties is like I'm follow a BMW or FJR it's smooth and effortless. just my 2 cents. Each individual has what works for them.

Enjoy

Spyder Garage

Post #7 and #13 have you covered. That is the way I do it. The G force seem to melt away.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

What I have learned is that the RT is inherently stable, I run twisties near my home that put any bike to the test. The sensation of falling away from the turn can be unnerving but It never acts out in the corners even when I am far above the recommended speed. As I enter the turn I follow the typical motorcyle protocals and from there I add:
    1. Clamp my thighs to the sides
    2. shift my body slightly away from the direction of the turn
    3. Look into and ahead of the turn
    4. Down shift and break aggressively as I come into the turn
    5. Full throttle as I move through the curve

I found that letting go of the throttle in the turn tends to make the bike swing wide, powering into the curve keeps her in the lines.

I never had as much fun on a 2 wheeler as there is very little body english in a counter steer. The RT connects me to the machine and I fell I am part of the action, not just a rider.