Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ST Limited questions

Hello all! I was all set to pull the trigger on an RT Limited and for some reason the ST Limited is catching my eye now! So forgive the questions, but I have a few. These are things I found out about the RT but now the search continues.

Is there much difference between the 2015 and the 2014 ST Limited? The heat issues, are there any? Do the radiators blow forward like on the '14 and 15 RT? Any high speed vibration from the belt?

Any other information anyone can share about their ST experience is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Midian View Post
    Hello all! I was all set to pull the trigger on an RT Limited and for some reason the ST Limited is catching my eye now! So forgive the questions, but I have a few. These are things I found out about the RT but now the search continues.

Is there much difference between the 2015 and the 2014 ST Limited? The heat issues, are there any? Do the radiators blow forward like on the '14 and 15 RT? Any high speed vibration from the belt?

Any other information anyone can share about their ST experience is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
    The ST has the 998 v twin whereas the rt has the 3 cylinder 1330 motor beginning in either 2014 or 2015. The 1330 motor is better but the 998 is still good. No known changes that I'm aware of on the ST between 2014 & 2015
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

You get more stuff on the RT compared to the ST. Should save some bucks if you go with the ST.

Recommend giving each a test drive. In a lot of cases, the 1330 triple will win you over--big time.

A fun choice to ponder. They are both great machines.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I know a lot of folks are installing a new sway bar on their RT, is that same with the ST as well?

Spyder Garage

Yes to the swaybar. Cruise control is easy to add on an ST. It can be done for free. Just takes a couple hours work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Two different rydes...

choices...ST V-twin still sporty ryde but more comfy than the RS/RSS. RT Tripple comfortable touring ryde. You will need to test ryde them both and consider what kinda ryding you will be doing or like best. There are many comparisons you can read between them. The pros will be from those that love their rydes the cons from those that want more of the other rydes. You have the last word...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I got a new 2014 ST-Limited. I wont go on large tours anymore so I did not need a rear trunk (and the added weight of the RT), cant imagine a passenger either.

On the ST, I have only had it 3 weeks or so; no heat issues, no vibration...so far I love it. It is a head turner and sexy ! If I go for a weekend or week trip...I can carry all I need in the Frunk and saddle bags.

Mine came with cruise control and many extras. The closeout price on the 14 saved me a lot of money.

MSRP was almost $25K....I got this one for $17,600.00 I felt it was a good deal. I know there are still 14's out there, so you might get a hell of a deal over a 15. A couple photos of mine:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

I should add... FWIW, I like the appearance of the ST and it has just enough amenities to ride long distances but yet not look like a small car. I'm sure I would like the 1330 motor with more forgiving RPM range and more power. Here's a link to the big trip we took with the ST last year: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...rtooth-Tetons-!!!!
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

I love my '13 STL fyi under a year over 17k miles, 8 states down. Most im considering now is the trailer, bit of a rat pack when i travel no problem on the st. I recommend the smooth spyder "dual mode" back rest as Fist farkle. Great device. Yet to have a passenger 100% solo fun. Hope this helps,
    enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I have a '14 STL and really really like it. Not ready for for the RT yet as I do too many burnouts . My husband just bought the F3s, it's fast, fun and as different as the STL and RT. You really need to take both out for a long test drive.
    HAPPY SPYDER OWNER
    BRP 1" riser, Trunk liner & Fog Lights. NMN Triple Play & Turn Signal LED, Double Play, Front Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Light Kit, Center Tail Light. 3" Handlebar Riser Kit, Adj. Footrest Brackets & Axle Caps, and Chad Windshield. Kuryakyn Spider pegs & mounts, ISO Grips, & Throttle Boss. J&M radio (Custom Bracket). Evoluzione Power Bus. DEI Exhaust Wrap. AudioVox Cruise Control (Custom Bracket). Gerbing Electric clothing socket.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I was the same. Went to the motorsport place to look at buying a rt seen the st and liked the sportier look. My only decision I had to make then was color. circuit yellow or circuit yellow? Was tuff on me but now I added some kicker speakers and "speed clips" on the woofer in the frunk so I jam going thru town or take it out add the bags for a weekend getaway. I haven't made any long trips in mine yet. No heat issues on my 13 but I did remove the stock muffler for a voodoo. Like was said it's all in what you want to do with your

Spyder Garage

The RT is made for 2 up touring where the ST Limited Is lighter and more for riding 1 up. I found the seat on the ST a little farther back and was more comfortable for me a large person. The RT felt like I was more upright and cramped. If you occationally ride 2 up on the ST, It is not quite as nimble and you need to ride more conservatively. The Baja Ron Swaybar was a nice low cost addition. I feel like a smoothrider belt tentioner is in my future because I can still feel vibration from the belt. Their is always going to be things you can add to make it a better ride.

As for the heat issues, there are none as far as Im concerned. On my wifes Harley, The heat will cook you after awhile. The spyder is a lot cooler. when I shut it off, the fan will run for a little while.
    Last edited by AY4B; 04-30-2015 at 08:10 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Post A comment on engines

I am one of those that would not buy a spyder if only the 3 cyl was available. It's a matter of preference, but it is a smooth, slow revving, low rpm engine. The engine note does not compare to the v-twin, and neither does the throttle response, for putting on long distance miles though, it might be a winner.
    Those who can't, criticize those who do.

2011 Spyder RSS SM5 - Bought new Apr 2015

Spyder Garage

Love my 2014 STL. Rode it down here to Spyderfest. Had Squared Away align it and Spyderpops install a BajaRon sway bar. Now I love the bike even more.

For me the decision of an ST vs an RT came to two things: I thought the RT might be a bit too big for my first bike and I didn't want to spend the extra money. Even being surrounded by RT's this week I still feel good about my decision.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

We really love our ST limited. When we first started looking they only had 2 options, the RS "sport" and the big RT "touring". Both were at each end of the spectrum and we didnt want the lay down sport style and the RT was just too bulky and overkill for what we wanted. When they came out with the ST is was like the best of both worlds. Still sporty looking, less bulky and yet with the limited we got the GPS, bags and all. When we took our trike endorsement we got to ride both an RS S and an ST S. Really liked the way the RS handled. So within two weeks of getting our Spyder we added the Fox podium shocks and also the Baja Ron sway bar. INCREDIBLE the difference in handling...much better riding two up. We constantly get people coming up to chat about it. Love the sound of the v twin too (especially with the Akrapovic sport and baffles out).
    2013 Spyder ST Limited...Akrapovic Sport Silencer, Fog Lights, Backrest, Spyderpops BumpSkid, 2014 cooling panels, BajaRon swaybar, Fox shocks, RS-S mag wheels...
    2014 Spyder RT-S, Spyderpops BumpSkid, BajaRon Swaybar, TricLED lighting, Magic Mirrors, Akrapovic Sport Silencer...