Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users GreenSpyderGirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Member...Should I Wait to get my F3?

I have ridden my 2012 RS-S for a little over 3000 miles and love it,however I had quite a bit of shoulder fatigue after a 600 mile ride bent forward due to the sport position of the RS-S. I love the sporty ride of it but will be doing some longer rides. Was ready to go buy an F3 but reading about the vibration issues I am wondering if I should wait for Can Am to figure it out.

Spyder Garage

I would look at putting on some handlebar risers first. I did that to my wife's old RS and it worked great for her.

On the flip side, I don't think every F3 has the vibration issue. Also, I am sure a belt tensioner will be coming out soon for them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Thanks. Been a lurker, finally decided to be active.

Spyder Garage

Default Test it...

It's all in the ryde...test ryde the F3 and see. If you are happy with the RSS (my favorite) adapt it for your ryde. There are many sponsors with solutions to help you get the best ryde. There is a big difference in power train so test ryd....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The vibration is no more than any other Spyder I've owned, it far less than some.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The vibration is no more than any other Spyder I've owned, it far less than some.
    Thanks..I am an old motocrosser from years back, so somewhat accustomed to different vibrations. Nothing on my RS-S has seemed out of the norm for a high RPM engine. Reassuring to hear your comment Lamontster. Going to test ride the F3 this week.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpyderGirl View Post
    Thanks..I am an old motocrosser from years back, so somewhat accustomed to different vibrations. Nothing on my RS-S has seemed out of the norm for a high RPM engine. Reassuring to hear your comment Lamontster. Going to test ride the F3 this week.
    Well it has to be said that my F3 doesn't vibrate unduly and the vibration that is present is very minimal. The 1330 motor is gloriously smooth and the gearbox (SE6) is sublime.
    It is certainly not a deal breaker for me.

Spyder Garage

Handlebar risers are a great solution for a more comfortable ride on the RS. Get 3 or 4 inch versions though. The OEM shorter versions did not work at all for me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Handlebar risers are a great solution for a more comfortable ride on the RS. Get 3 or 4 inch versions though. The OEM shorter versions did not work at all for me.
    HeliBars with the one inch OEM riser worked for me!

Spyder Garage

I would wait for the next F3 model year if you really want one. The prices will go down a lot on this model year left overs and I doubt there will be any difference in the bike. Second reason is it seems every change BRP makes there are some teething pains. Let all the early adopters be the test pilot for you.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Agree

OJ UK has said it perfectly in regards to vibration. I get a minimal amount of vibration, no more than I did on my old RTS.

I can't say enough about taking one out for a test ride, you will not be disappointed! But be prepared to feel the F3 fever

Good luck in whatever choice you make!

Spyder Garage

I have ridden my 2012 RS-S for a little over 3000 miles and love it,however I had quite a bit of shoulder fatigue after a 600 mile ride bent forward due to the sport position of the RS-S. I love the sporty ride of it but will be doing some longer rides. Was ready to go buy an F3 but reading about the vibration issues I am wondering if I should wait for Can Am to figure it out.
    I have some shoulder issues, surgeries on both of them, and I've done 160 mile rides on the F3 with no issue. I'll be riding it to Sturgis in Aug. so that'll be a test.
    2015 F3s White

BRP Drivers and Passenger backrest
    Blue Ridge windshield
    Corbin Saddle Bags

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    HeliBars with the one inch OEM riser worked for me!
    I am referencing risers and OEM handlebars. No experience with HeliBars.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My initial instinct was to wait until the 2nd year release of a new model. I am still going to test ride, but am also going to look into OEM risers for my RSS to hold me over.thanks for the input all.

Spyder Garage

There is a lot of options out there for the 12 rss for risers and most are easy installs.
    I have a 13 rs and didn't have tat many options so i put the ST handlebars on and solved my shoulder fatique.

As far as the F3 i took one for a ride last week. Loved it. Vibration was not an issue. Now the wind thats a different story. The wind beat me to death 80mph i was hanging on pretty tight. Would have to try one with a winshield and see if there is a differance. I do know windshields were an issue with the f3. but won't take long for aftermarket to jump on board. Until that is resolved i will wait, but is an awesome ride.. BRP did a good job along with Lamonts advice

Spyder Garage

My initial instinct was to wait until the 2nd year release of a new model. I am still going to test ride, but am also going to look into OEM risers for my RSS to hold me over.thanks for the input all.
    Nice to meet you GreenSpyderGirl. I rode away from the dealer on my new F3-S this past Saturday and do not have any vibration issues at all. I ordered it in January and it makes me wonder if the good folks at BRP held up delivery to get some things sorted out.

I once took my 2010 RSS SE5 on a 4 day, 1,500 mile run from Philly to Daytona Beach and back. There was pain involved.

The forward foot controls of the F3 quite simply remove the need to use your upper body to steer. I brace my weight against the foot pegs now instead of hanging my ass off to the side and going chin to hand. The lower center of gravity is also very helpful in keeping me 'in' the saddle instead of 'on' it.

I loved my RSS, but I now wish her good days with her new owner. She always brought a smile to my face. The F3, makes me howl and say 'Hell ya' out loud.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmChris View Post
    Nice to meet you GreenSpyderGirl. I rode away from the dealer on my new F3-S this past Saturday and do not have any vibration issues at all. I ordered it in January and it makes me wonder if the good folks at BRP held up delivery to get some things sorted out.

I once took my 2010 RSS SE5 on a 4 day, 1,500 mile run from Philly to Daytona Beach and back. There was pain involved.

The forward foot controls of the F3 quite simply remove the need to use your upper body to steer. I brace my weight against the foot pegs now instead of hanging my ass off to the side and going chin to hand. The lower center of gravity is also very helpful in keeping me 'in' the saddle instead of 'on' it.

I loved my RSS, but I now wish her good days with her new owner. She always brought a smile to my face. The F3, makes me howl and say 'Hell ya' out loud.
    totally agree. just traded the rss for an f3s. could not be any happier!!!

Spyder Garage

IMO i'd try some mods first. Jumping into a F3 with only 3000 miles on RS could hurt the wallet A LOT. That is how I ended up with a pair Spyders. The trade in value of my '10 was not great when I got my '13 RT-L and in the long run it was better to keep it.
    Open up your Mind and let your Fantasies Unwind!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mclaw44 View Post
    IMO i'd try some mods first. Jumping into a F3 with only 3000 miles on RS could hurt the wallet A LOT. That is how I ended up with a pair Spyders. The trade in value of my '10 was not great when I got my '13 RT-L and in the long run it was better to keep it.
    True on the financial front. I only had $6,900 left on my 2010 and the dealer gave me $8.000 trade in. It worked out well for me. You are quite correct to advise caution. Never get in over your head with the money.

Spyder Garage

Thought about an F3 but got a great deal on a 2011 RS-S and loving it! The Heli bar improves the sport position. I will be making some comfort mods for long distance riding. F3 is so tempting but thinking economics, I rather spend more time riding than working OT to payoff an F3!
    Currently Own: 2011 RS-S SM5 - BRP Comfort Seat, Juice Box Pro, Two Brothers Exhaust

Previously Owned: 1991 GS500E

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

With complete respect to your knowledge and experience, I think some of us are feeling more vibration and more so "grinding" than others. The grinding sensation feels like I'm riding over a metal grate. It is pretty severe but over a relatively small MPH/RPM. I've had other bikes with belts and this is not the same. That being said, it is definitely NOT a reason to hold off getting this bike. I'm sure an adjustment or belt tensioner or something will fix this "problem" (harmonic vibration will always be an inherent issue with belts). It is a GREAT bike!
    2022 Spyder RT SEA-TO-SKY Mystery Blue... (bought new May 2023, a work in progress...)

2015 Can-Am Red F3-S, SE6
    CalSci shield, Elka stage 5 rear shock, stage 4 front shocks, Akrapovic silencer, BajaRon Bar, Roadster Renovations vibration dampener, Tricled LED headlights and auxiliary lights, driver floorboard, driver and passenger backrests, Tricled Safety Led package, Shad BRP/SH36 side cases, Baker built luggage rack, Tricled Rear run/brake/turn signal led, Tricled LED piezo brake bullet strobe, JDM Astar LED bulbs for rear and front lights, Airhawk seat pad, USB power outlet

Registered Users SarasotaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    With complete respect to your knowledge and experience, I think some of us are feeling more vibration and more so "grinding" than others. The grinding sensation feels like I'm riding over a metal grate. It is pretty severe but over a relatively small MPH/RPM. I've had other bikes with belts and this is not the same. That being said, it is definitely NOT a reason to hold off getting this bike. I'm sure an adjustment or belt tensioner or something will fix this "problem" (harmonic vibration will always be an inherent issue with belts). It is a GREAT bike!
    I have had my F3 for 3 weeks now and have no vibration issues. LOVE the bike and it is a blast to ride. Most fun I've had riding in quite a while. I too was contemplating the wait for next years model, but that would be one year less of not riding the bike now.
    2015 Red F3 SE6 pending: better headlight bulbs, BR windshield, passenger backrest, Tricled safety lights and lighted bumpskid/ISP key holder....hopefully all by Biketoberfest.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    Spot on this is exactly what my F3-S does - it is different from my 08' RS belt vibration (which went away with belt tension increase (still within spec. and belt alignment). So far our resident add-on belt tensioner expert has not come up with a fix - he is/was getting 50-60% decrease - he is still working on improving same.

As far as belt tension factory specs, I wonder if there isn't additional design margin that would allow for the high end to increase - many of us design engineers have been known to include significant design margins. If so in this case, maybe BRP will at some point increase the tension specs ( been known to happen before).

For now I am riding more worrying less and powering through the grind
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

The BRP spacer block is almost unnoticeable. Get a big riser it'll make your ride nice and comfortable. I always wanted the helibar riser but found a 2013 ST first
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES