Spyder Garage

Default Bringing my baby to the shop

Earlier this week, after a 50 mile ride, the "Check Engine" light came on. I checked the codes and found: P0171 ECM System too lean Bank 1 & P0174 ECM System too lean Bank 2. I drove it the 50 miles back home and didn't notice any anomalies with performance, temp, etc. After reading several past threads, I plan on driving it about 50 miles to the dealer this coming Saturday. Does anyone have any advise against this?
    Thanks in advance
    Lin
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yep, I have the same problem

This next trip to the shop will be the 4th time its been in for the same issue. So far they can't solve the problem. Let me know if you get a fix for those codes and I'll do the same for you if I get a fix. I started logging all my limp modes by millage so I'll have a record just in case worse comes to worse. Oh, by the way, mine seem to run fine. I've had no problems driving it to the dealer.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 04-19-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Should be no problem driving to dealer. Please keep us informed about the fix.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ride it . I had similar situation for months where they couldn't find a real problem. Too long a story, it is apparently fixed now with new left fuel injection sys and 2 new plugs. I just kept riding it because it ran perfectly. Very frustrating though. Throttle potentiometer was replaced twice, I put 1500 miles on a loaner 2014 limited during two extended shop visits where they checked everything, but P0174 just kept coming and disappearing or they reset it with the BUDS computer. And that obnoxious orange screen flashing and going nuts was a pain. But it's been a really great bike and think it will be until I quit riding in my "ever older"" old age.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

sounds like your o2 sensor may be giving you problems. Then again if you clear the computer with the key walk the ryde again with out getting the problem it could be a lapse in the system. Happens. As far as ryding to the dealer you should be fine on a liesure ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Did 220 miles

this afternoon and evening and had 7 limp mode stops to reboot (I guess) the computer by turning off the bike and removing the key. 3 instances were in daylight and 5 were in the dark. Wife was not happy about sitting in the dark along a lonely section of freeway and back roads waiting to clear a limp mode. I wasn't happy with a flashing orange screen in my face, in the dark. But,,,,,,,,,the bike ran great. 42 MPG 2up in the mountains. Can't get much better than that can you? The folks we were riding with were getting a bit unhappy so I told them to stop waiting for me and go on home. I'd call them later to let them know we got home alright. If not, please feed the dogs until we show up.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Its Back! Yep PO 174 code again

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    Earlier this week, after a 50 mile ride, the "Check Engine" light came on. I checked the codes and found: P0171 ECM System too lean Bank 1 & P0174 ECM System too lean Bank 2. I drove it the 50 miles back home and didn't notice any anomalies with performance, temp, etc. After reading several past threads, I plan on driving it about 50 miles to the dealer this coming Saturday. Does anyone have any advise against this?
    Thanks in advance
    Lin
    We also have had a recurrent PO174 code/Orange Screen on our 2011 RT SM5 on about 4 different occasions. Last time in was last November and had a new oxygen sensor and previous times had had throttle bodies, canister replaced and purge valves replaced at different times. It appears to run fine otherwise, and I have always checked the temps and other vital fluids and driven it for short trips until we got it in for an appointment.

Today it showed up again and we finished our 100 mile group ride with no issues other than the alternating orange check engine light/screen.

Hope someone finds a fix. All service time has been documented and on warranty. 66,000 miles and counting.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default Update

I just picked her up this afternoon. It had flashed the check engine light all the way to the dealer last Saturday. The tech found several codes that suggested purge valve or fuel pump. Both tested fine. The codes were cleared and have not returned. Keeping my fingers crossed they don't.
    2016 RT-S Special Series

Spyder Garage

Default Check the two small vacum lines connected to the throttle bodies

Thanks in advance
    Lin
    Check your Spyder's throttle body vacuum lines.
    The two small vacum lines connected to the throttle bodies are notorious for getting brittle and cracking due to the temps under the plastic.
    They can create many lean conditions when they leak air.

Unfortunately, the OEM replacements are made of the same material and will fail too.
    Many people go to there local auto parts store and buy high temperature silicon lines, cut them to length to match the original lines, and never have anymore problems.

- Mike
    2019 F3 Unlimited , Oxford Blue Dark Edition

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike. I knew about the vac lines and specifically asked if they had been inspected. They had. I have been on a couple of rides since getting back from the dealer and have NOT had the problems recur.

Lin
    2016 RT-S Special Series

Spyder Garage

Default Your Welcome

Thanks Mike. I knew about the vac lines and specifically asked if they had been inspected. They had. I have been on a couple of rides since getting back from the dealer and have NOT had the problems recur.

Lin
    Good luck. I have a 2103 RT-S and I have been contemplating replacement of the hose with high temp silicone lines so I don't have to worry about them.

- Mike
    2019 F3 Unlimited , Oxford Blue Dark Edition