Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

To contrast with the above discussion here's my take. As I mention in the first response to the OP I find the tablet plus Sygic app to be great. First, you can use any Android or Apple tablet (I think!) if it has a GPS receiver built in. I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 7". The price has stayed steady at around $180 to $200. The Sygic app is about $30, one time purchase. Map updates have been about 2 to 4 times a year. It uses Tom Tom maps for N America. The program is highly configurable, including your choices of what POIs you want to show, like gas stations and restaurants. It also has the speed notification feature the reviewer mentions about the Zooz, except it's programmable by MPH above limit, not percent. If I had the space available on my Spyder I would consider a 10" Galaxy! No dinky 5.5" screen for me!

Most tablets are not waterproof. I have a shield over mine and have ridden in heavy rain with no problem. Water drops do get on the screen, and the back got wet once, but that has not caused a problem. The one HUGE advantage of using a tablet is that when I stop to eat I just pop off the tablet and take it inside and catch up on email and SL! Try doing that with your dedicated GPS!

One shortcoming is that routes developed on Google maps cannot be imported easily.

A tablet with a GPS app, and there are several but I think Sygic is the best, is an alternative worthy of consideration!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users Motorcycle Mama & Papa's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by szohar View Post
    Just found this review on the mentioned ZooZ GPS.

https://youtu.be/EuyEmInOsWU
    I have recently purchased the GPS that you can play through your radio from ZooZ. I'm so new I did not know it had that feature. I will be posting a review as soon as I become more familiar. So far SO good. The above you tube video is excellent. Thanks Shane - well done.
    "Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight" - Benjamin Franklin

Spyder Garage

Default GPS

WasWinger, I do see the advantages you mentioned regarding a tablet as a GPS, just few clarifications regarding this setup:

• Tablets are not water and shock proof
    • Tablets screen are not viewable in sunlight, the ZooZ GPS uses special bright and anti glare screen
    • Tablets touchscreen are not glove friendly, I don't think they will work while wearing a glove
    • Motorcycle GPS uses big buttons so they can be used while riding
    • The ZooZ GPS have many programmable options, if you search around you will find out that the iGo Primo is the most advanced navigation software out there.

Just my opinion best on many years of using GPS for different applications.
    This message was sent between rides

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by szohar View Post
    WasWinger, I do see the advantages you mentioned regarding a tablet as a GPS, just few clarifications regarding this setup:

• Tablets are not water and shock proof
    True, but with my shield I have not found that to be a problem!

Tablets screen are not viewable in sunlight, the ZooZ GPS uses special bright and anti glare screen
    With an anti-glare screen protector on my tablet the only time I have some difficulty seeing the screen is when the sun is directly behind me!

Tablets touchscreen are not glove friendly, I don't think they will work while wearing a glove
    True, but a tablet stylus works and is easy to handle with a glove on.

Motorcycle GPS uses big buttons so they can be used while riding
    Big buttons are a distinct advantage, I'll concede.

The ZooZ GPS have many programmable options, if you search around you will find out that the iGo Primo is the most advanced navigation software out there.
    I'm not familiar with iGo Primo and haven't used it so won't comment other than Sygic is also quite advanced!

Just my opinion best on many years of using GPS for different applications.
    And as a vendor for the product!!

My setup cost only about 1/2 of your offering, and a whole lot less than that compared to BRP offering! I still say it's a great option for the dyed-in-the-wool tech DIYer with a tight wallet!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)