Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That was an expensive fix for shimmy a 2015 RT?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    Well, I fixed it!! I bought a 2015 RT LTD!. Really, I did, but it turned out to be the top shock bolt was loose!
    Wow! That simple! Well, just goes to show that checking the simple stuff first is usually the best way to at least eliminate a simple fix.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBud View Post
    While I don't disagree with you one bit, that does seem crazy, I don't really think that is the direct problem. I've been using these tires like that for 2 years and only started feeling the "shimmy" for a few weeks. Unfortunately I never even noticed the amount of weights until just now.
    I also had the DPS/Limp Mode alert this past weekend while on a ryde. I've never had any alarm before. I pulled over and shut the tryke down. I pulled out the manual and checked what the alarm was about, I started it up and it was gone. I checked for active fault codes, but that was blank. I rode several hundred miles this weekend without that occurring again. Perhaps I was riding the break, but I'm usually pretty careful about that. But I can't say for sure.
    Coincidence...I hope so!
    Agreed. If 17 weights worked at one point something had to change for that wheel to be a problem. Still, they should never pass a Spyder through assembly with a wheel that needed that much weight to make it right. My only point was that if the wheel/tire combination was that far out. Normal wear might create a serious imbalance which might not occur on a wheel/tire assembly that was more harmonious to begin with.

In other words. If the tire were the culprit, that could mean a big chunk of weight in the tread (wear) area of the tire. The further out from center the imbalance is, the greater the weight needed to balance it. As that weighted area wears, the potential for a great deal of imbalance would occur.

Let us know what the actual problem is when you find it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The further out from center the imbalance is, the greater the weight needed to balance it. As that weighted area wears, the potential for a great deal of imbalance would occur.
    Fantastic explanation BajaRon. That makes perfect sense and I fully agree with you. I'm gunna hopefully get her in for the 12k this week and get the tires checked as well.
    I'll post an update when there is one....
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    Well, I fixed it!! I bought a 2015 RT LTD!. Really, I did, but it turned out to be the top shock bolt was loose!
    Is that all it takes?? I hope i get a shimmy real soon, then I will fix it the same way you did. Enjoy your new ride.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

[QUOTE=bmwlarry;961062]My 2011 RT has developed a terrible front end shimmy from 41 mph thru 49 mph.

What could be causing it? You left out one important chunk of information. What is the miles on the tires.

like Bob D suggested a belt layer in a tire can cause you all kinds of grief in that speed range

My RTL dOes it tween 41/43@ 40 deg F and since it only happens then I don't worry about it. T

Laser alignment done
    all front end suspension components tight and {\QUOTE]