Spyder Garage

Default Psycho (old Darth) Mods

You may have seen this on another thread, but this is definitely in the mod category....

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?79134-High-Tech-Good-Friday-SpyderFest-2015&p=958910&viewfull=1#post958910

Spyder Garage

Default Psycho ( Old Darth ) Mods

Phil,
    Looks great. Thanks for sharing additional pictures at lunch today. Good to see Bobbie and you. Have a good time at SpyderFest.
    Regards,
    Reese
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default All back together

And ready to load up for Spyderfest!!!

Last edited by Phil; 04-19-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default How we did the EL on Psycho

We had SO many stop and ask questions at Spyderfest 2015 about how we did the paint job on Bobbie's bike- Psycho (to be renamed...). It's too long to post but let me do a few highlights here....

1. We became aware of Darkside Scientific (DS) in about 2013. I was enamored with the technology of making paint light up. I get the technology of Electroluminescent material, but never in an actual paint. I called them and had 2-3 conversations about how it could be done on one of our Spyders.
    2. Bobbie & I went to SEMA car show in Vegas late October 2014 and met with the DS team. We decided to make Bobbie's bike the very first Spyder in the world to have the DS Lumilor paint applied to it.
    3. Around December 1, 2014, I ordered a spare set of body panels (frunk, fog shrouds, saddle bag covers). This took about 3 weeks.
    4. I called Sue Hopper and had the first of about 20 conversations about the project. First explaining the technology until she thoroughly understood it. Then getting into the design.
    6. We ordered from DS several 'speed shapes' for Sue to learn the technique of painting on top of the EL coating.
    7. I shipped all of the tupperware to Sue and she began the layout. Sue sent us may progress pics for approval along the way. This took about 2-3 weeks
    8. Sue then sent the panels to DS in Ohio for them to apply the paint in the areas that Sue designated.
    9. The DS process is a layered, very meticulous process. The bottom layer conducts electricity. there is a layer that is the phosphors that actually light up. Then there is a top layer that conducts electricity. Then there are power supplies that translate 12vdc to 100vac. This bit took about 8-10 weeks.
    10. DS shipped the panels back to Sue where the artistry began. Sue sent pics along the way so we could approve each step. Sue's bit took about 3 weeks to paint and clear coat.
    11. Finally the completed body panels were shipped and on the way to our home. When the panels arrived, I began the task of figuring out how I was going to wire it all up to work the best way possible. There were about 4 options and I had to weigh the good and bad of each. Finally, all of the panels were back in place with all of the wiring and controllers!
    12. Three days later, we packed up and headed to Spyderfest 2015.

Here are several pics of the process.....

The panels all painted at DS and lit----

Where the wires come through to the back...

Putting the saddle bags back together....

Wire routing. NOTE- make the holes offset to allow the wire to easily bend...

Wide shot in our garage, the night I finished putting it together....

At the unveiling @ Spyderfest 2015.....

At the light show.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    We had SO many stop and ask questions at Spyderfest 2015 about how we did the paint job on Bobbie's bike- Psycho (to be renamed...). It's too long to post but let me do a few highlights here....

1. We became aware of Darkside Scientific (DS) in about 2013. I was enamored with the technology of making paint light up. I get the technology of Electroluminescent material, but never in an actual paint. I called them and had 2-3 conversations about how it could be done on one of our Spyders.
    2. Bobbie & I went to SEMA car show in Vegas late October 2014 and met with the DS team. We decided to make Bobbie's bike the very first Spyder in the world to have the DS Lumilor paint applied to it.
    3. Around December 1, 2014, I ordered a spare set of body panels (frunk, fog shrouds, saddle bag covers). This took about 3 weeks.
    4. I called Sue Hopper and had the first of about 20 conversations about the project. First explaining the technology until she thoroughly understood it. Then getting into the design.
    6. We ordered from DS several 'speed shapes' for Sue to learn the technique of painting on top of the EL coating.
    7. I shipped all of the tupperware to Sue and she began the layout. Sue sent us may progress pics for approval along the way. This took about 2-3 weeks
    8. Sue then sent the panels to DS in Ohio for them to apply the paint in the areas that Sue designated.
    9. The DS process is a layered, very meticulous process. The bottom layer conducts electricity. there is a layer that is the phosphors that actually light up. Then there is a top layer that conducts electricity. Then there are power supplies that translate 12vdc to 100vac. This bit took about 8-10 weeks.
    10. DS shipped the panels back to Sue where the artistry began. Sue sent pics along the way so we could approve each step. Sue's bit took about 3 weeks to paint and clear coat.
    11. Finally the completed body panels were shipped and on the way to our home. When the panels arrived, I began the task of figuring out how I was going to wire it all up to work the best way possible. There were about 4 options and I had to weigh the good and bad of each. Finally, all of the panels were back in place with all of the wiring and controllers!
    12. Three days later, we packed up and headed to Spyderfest 2015.

Here are several pics of the process.....

The panels all painted at DS and lit----

Where the wires come through to the back...

Putting the saddle bags back together....

Wire routing. NOTE- make the holes offset to allow the wire to easily bend...

Wide shot in our garage, the night I finished putting it together....

At the unveiling @ Spyderfest 2015.....

At the light show.....

That is so fine!!

Spyder Garage

That is Awesome
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Bump Skid
    Ultimate Seat
    Air Horn
    Fuze Block
    LED Marker & Brake lights
    Custom Art Work

Spyder Garage

Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

WOW !! Extremely creative work of art
    A definite eye catcher.

Spyder Garage

Yesterday, Phil met us, Spyder Ryders of East Texas and gave us a mind blowing tour of his offices in Tyler. Thank you Phil It was an experience we will never forget. Kinda like touring a futuristic blend of Star Trek meets the Garden of Eden.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default THANKS!

It was my joy to give the tour! Great to see everyone....

Spyder Garage

Phycho needs to be renamed "Via Dolorosa"
    It reminded me of Sandy Patti's song
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

AMAZING job!

Spyder Garage

AY4B- We actually were going to rename her 'REDEEMED', but so far have never gotten around to it! It's all part of the story......