Spyder Garage

Default Who uses a Non-BRP headset with a 2014 CB?

As some of you may have seen, I have an ongoing problem trying to get the factory BRP CB working on my 2014 RT-Limited. THe original post is here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...B-problem-HELP!

As of now, the dealer reports making progress with the problem, but states that my two headsets (one a J&M, one an EdSets) cause problems, but a BRP headset doesn't. This is unacceptable to me, as I wish to have a helmet & headset that is usable on different bikes by changing out the lower cord.

Basically, I'm looking to see if anyone has had success using a NON-BRP headset with a 2014 or newer RT CB. If you have, please respond with the year/model of Spyder and make/model of headset.

Thanks!
    Gene

Gene

2015 Honda Goldwing Comfort/Audio

**SOLD**2014 RT Limited, Black Currant
    B
    1975 Yamaha RD-125, Red
    1500 miles, all stock time capsule!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gened4288 View Post
    As some of you may have seen, I have an ongoing problem trying to get the factory BRP CB working on my 2014 RT-Limited. THe original post is here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...B-problem-HELP!

As of now, the dealer reports making progress with the problem, but states that my two headsets (one a J&M, one an EdSets) cause problems, but a BRP headset doesn't. This is unacceptable to me, as I wish to have a helmet & headset that is usable on different bikes by changing out the lower cord.

Basically, I'm looking to see if anyone has had success using a NON-BRP headset with a 2014 or newer RT CB. If you have, please respond with the year/model of Spyder and make/model of headset.

Thanks!
    Gene
    I use a J & M headset on my '14RTS without problems. Used J & M when I had a '10 RT, too. I can't believe that BRP (through a dealer) is still offering the bull about needing one of their headsets. J & M with the proper lower cord works fine, although the CB radio is not the best.

Spyder Garage

I have two new J&M Performance headsets plus and older J&M headset in a third helmet that all produce a squeal in the factory CB on my 2014 RT-S when both rider and passenger helmets are connected. The dealer has changed out the CB module, antennae kit, and the Entertainment Harness without success. Their next step is to try the Can-Am headset. Note: if just one headset is connected, no squeal and the CB works.

A friend of mine who has worked on radios in the Air Force, and on Gold Wings, thinks the squeal is the result of feedback between the two antennas on the rear trunk. He thinks tuning the CB antennae may help. We are going to try this sometime this week. I will post the results.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    I can't believe that BRP (through a dealer) is still offering the bull about needing one of their headsets. J & M with the proper lower cord works fine, although the CB radio is not the best.
    Yup, it sure is frustrating! There's no reason that it should work fine on some bikes, but not on others. If I can get a few responses of folks who have successfully used non-BRP headsets with '14 CB's, I can tell the dealer and BRP that they can fix my bike properly and have a leg to stand on (although that shouldn't be necessary!). The dealer's mechanic states that while he would like to try a few different things, he's hamstrung by BRP in that they'll only pay for what THEY want done, not what he tries. When I asked him about talking to a BRP Service Rep, he said they don't want to do phone calls...leave them an email and they'll get back to him. When I said that's not always the best/most efficient way to do things (sometimes a quick conversation can eliminate lots of back-and-forth emails), he said that getting a BRP Rep on the phone was like trying to get the President of the US on the phone!

Gene

Gene

B
    1975 Yamaha RD-125, Red

Spyder Garage

Actually, there are some differences with headsets. I use the J&M headset with my 2010 RT with CB. I also have EdSets in another helmet and worked directly with Ed to get it working on the Spyder, which was new at the time. I rode down to his shop a few times. He had given me some inline devices to plug into his mic to make it work. I really don't recall the results, as I never wear that particular helmet while riding the Spyder, plus I'm certain he worked out all the bugs long before your 2014 Spyder came along.

If, on the other hand, you're using EdSets and they are an older set...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Default J & M headsets

Had a 2011 RT-S with BRP CB installed. Had trouble with the unit since bought it. Took to another dealer, closer, and had them look at. Lead tech looked at it and found that we had two different unmatched units. CB was on one kind and antenna was of another kind. Matched the antenna with CB and has worked fine ever since. Had a 2014, now, with dealer installed CB with everything matched, using J & M headsets and working great.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default CB update II

The dealer has replaced the antennae kit, wiring harness, and CB module. Still have the squeal when both headsets connected. With only one headset connected, no squeal and the CB works fine. A friend checked the SWR of the antennae. IT was high at 1.8 to 1.9 and the CB registered 1 watt vs 2 to 3 that was expected. The friend thought the radio speaker magnet was effecting the CB transmission and causing feedback resulting in the squeal when transmitting.

Attaching a strong magnet to the frame was suggested. Tried a strong speaker magnet attached to the gas tank, which has a ground wire. First thought this eliminated the squeal but not really.

Tried to change the antennae for a J&M one but the different screw sizes.

So on today's ride, when I needed to transmit on the CB, I had my girl friend unplug her head set. Then plug it back in to use the intercom. We could receive transmissions, just not sent without squeal if both headsets connected,

The dealer is suppose to be getting me a Can-Am headset to try . Been 2 weeks waiting now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DonST View Post
    The dealer has replaced the antennae kit, wiring harness, and CB module. Still have the squeal when both headsets connected. With only one headset connected, no squeal and the CB works fine. A friend checked the SWR of the antennae. IT was high at 1.8 to 1.9 and the CB registered 1 watt vs 2 to 3 that was expected. The friend thought the radio speaker magnet was effecting the CB transmission and causing feedback resulting in the squeal when transmitting.

Attaching a strong magnet to the frame was suggested. Tried a strong speaker magnet attached to the gas tank, which has a ground wire. First thought this eliminated the squeal but not really.

Tried to change the antennae for a J&M one but the different screw sizes.

So on today's ride, when I needed to transmit on the CB, I had my girl friend unplug her head set. Then plug it back in to use the intercom. We could receive transmissions, just not sent without squeal if both headsets connected,

The dealer is suppose to be getting me a Can-Am headset to try . Been 2 weeks waiting now.
    FINALLY got mine fixed. Well, the dealer partially fixed it and (thanks to this forum) I fixed it completely (I hope. Going on a long trip next week, time will tell). Anyway, the dealer installed 2 different CB's and 3 different entertainment/com harnesses and still had issues. They added additional grounding from the CB and stereo to the frame where the battery was in the 998 bikes. This got rid of the squeal using a BRP or J&M headset, but not my EdSets unit. They said that if it works with a BRP headset, that's all I should expect, as any other headset is unsupported and may damage the CB.

I brought the bike home and tore into it to fix it right. I removed the left rear assembly that houses the CB antenna and rear speaker and installed a wire to ground the metal mounting block for the CB antenna (interestingly, the factory ground strap mounts to the plastic and the antenna mounting block has NO ground connection - photos attached).

I plugged in my EdSets headset and tried it out...YAY, NO squealing! I reconnected the speaker wires, and...BOO, squeal is back! I then added an RF choke (actually 2 of them - photo attached) to the speaker wires and tried it again...YAY, NO squealing! I installed some additional RF chokes to the CB harness and front headset connector wire for a little extra insurance.

So, long story made short: A) Ground EVERYTHING really well, and B) Add a few RF chokes. Hope this works as well for you as it did for me!

Gene
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gene

B
    1975 Yamaha RD-125, Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't ground the antenna mounting block.

Quote Originally Posted by gened4288 View Post
    FINALLY got mine fixed. Well, the dealer partially fixed it and (thanks to this forum) I fixed it completely (I hope. Going on a long trip next week, time will tell). Anyway, the dealer installed 2 different CB's and 3 different entertainment/com harnesses and still had issues. They added additional grounding from the CB and stereo to the frame where the battery was in the 998 bikes. This got rid of the squeal using a BRP or J&M headset, but not my EdSets unit. They said that if it works with a BRP headset, that's all I should expect, as any other headset is unsupported and may damage the CB.

I brought the bike home and tore into it to fix it right. I removed the left rear assembly that houses the CB antenna and rear speaker and installed a wire to ground the metal mounting block for the CB antenna (interestingly, the factory ground strap mounts to the plastic and the antenna mounting block has NO ground connection - photos attached).

I plugged in my EdSets headset and tried it out...YAY, NO squealing! I reconnected the speaker wires, and...BOO, squeal is back! I then added an RF choke (actually 2 of them - photo attached) to the speaker wires and tried it again...YAY, NO squealing! I installed some additional RF chokes to the CB harness and front headset connector wire for a little extra insurance.

So, long story made short: A) Ground EVERYTHING really well, and B) Add a few RF chokes. Hope this works as well for you as it did for me!

Gene
    If I'm understanding your post and your pictures correctly, you grounded the antenna mounting block. That's the "hot" lead for the radio, the center conductor of the coax feeding the antenna. You do NOT want to ground that. You could actually damage your CB if that's what you actually did. All of your other suggestions sound good. I especially liked your idea of putting ferrite chokes on the speaker leads. I may do that on mine.

I had the same squealing problem with my 2014 RTS when I plugged in two J&M headsets. Interestingly enough, one of them was quite old, and one was relatively new. The problem was the worst when the old one was plugged in. I tried another person's newer J&M and the problem went away, so I replaced my older one and the problem was cured. One other suggestion that helped mine. I put clamp on ferrite chokes, like what you put on the speaker leads, on both down cords, right near where they plug into the Spyder. That helped even more.

Bottom line is, that CB they put in the Spyder is a piece of junk and very susceptible to RF interference. I've been a Ham Radio operator for over 50 years, and this is a classic case of RF intrusion into the audio system of the radio. It's ridiculous that you pay nearly a grand for a radio and it doesn't work perfect. What headset you use shouldn't matter. BRP needs to talk to Honda. I had a Goldwing before I got my Spyder and NEVER had problem one with the CB, and I've always used J&M audio. I think mine is now finally working, but it sure was a struggle. Oh, and by the way, it was replaced once. The first one didn't work at all, either on receive OR transmit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vern2014RTS View Post
    If I'm understanding your post and your pictures correctly, you grounded the antenna mounting block. That's the "hot" lead for the radio, the center conductor of the coax feeding the antenna. You do NOT want to ground that. You could actually damage your CB if that's what you actually did. All of your other suggestions sound good. I especially liked your idea of putting ferrite chokes on the speaker leads. I may do that on mine.

I had the same squealing problem with my 2014 RTS when I plugged in two J&M headsets. Interestingly enough, one of them was quite old, and one was relatively new. The problem was the worst when the old one was plugged in. I tried another person's newer J&M and the problem went away, so I replaced my older one and the problem was cured. One other suggestion that helped mine. I put clamp on ferrite chokes, like what you put on the speaker leads, on both down cords, right near where they plug into the Spyder. That helped even more.

Bottom line is, that CB they put in the Spyder is a piece of junk and very susceptible to RF interference. I've been a Ham Radio operator for over 50 years, and this is a classic case of RF intrusion into the audio system of the radio. It's ridiculous that you pay nearly a grand for a radio and it doesn't work perfect. What headset you use shouldn't matter. BRP needs to talk to Honda. I had a Goldwing before I got my Spyder and NEVER had problem one with the CB, and I've always used J&M audio. I think mine is now finally working, but it sure was a struggle. Oh, and by the way, it was replaced once. The first one didn't work at all, either on receive OR transmit.
    Thank you! I'm on my way to the garage to remove the ground wire.

Gene

Gene

B
    1975 Yamaha RD-125, Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I got the same song and dance from BRP about me using a J&M Elite headset. It turned out to be a poor grounding job by the dealer when they installed the CB/Comm system from the start.
    My spyder at the time was 2010 RT S on my 2015 no BRP CB/Comm system.

Spyder Garage

I have a oem cb on my 2014 RTL and use Edset Headsets. It works perfectly. I guess I am lucky.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White