Thread: Jacket

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Jacket

Hey all, I am looking for a good all around jacket for all/most seasons. I know I will probably get a mesh one for some summer early mornings and evenings, but I am mainly interested in a good one for Spring, Fall and Winter. What do you all suggest for a good all-around with zip out liners, waterproofing, etc. Coming from the two wheel world I am used to half helmets and hoodies so this is all new to me! Thanks in advance!

Spyder Garage

Default Choices choices..!!

there are many but if you get a vented jacket with a removable liner it will work with moderate changes...heated liners for more drastic changes...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use one from TourMaster...

The main body of it is mesh, and it comes with a nylon water-resistant shell, and an insulated liner.
    It's comfortable from the thirties, up into triple digits.
    One jacket for three Seasons!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I wear Tourmaster Flex jackets. Sounds like the jacket Bob Denman described. For 99% of the riding we do, including rain as long as it's not a downpour, it's all we need.

Cotton

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default TOURMASTER INTAKE 3.0 MESH JACKET W/LINERS

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    there are many but if you get a vented jacket with a removable liner it will work with moderate changes...heated liners for more drastic changes...
    I'VE BEEN WEARING THIS COMBINATION, WITH AND WITHOUT AN ELECTRIC VEST, FOR 10 YEARS, HERE IN MONTANA. WINTER, SUMMER, ALL YEAR ROUND. I FIND IT TO BE THE PERFECT COMBINATION.
    CAPNCRUNCH : =)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I use one from TourMaster...

The main body of it is mesh, and it comes with a nylon water-resistant shell, and an insulated liner.
    It's comfortable from the thirties, up into triple digits.
    One jacket for three Seasons!
    That's the Intake Air jacket from Tourmaster. When I had my shop and on line business. It was my best selling jacket. The mesh outer and 2 liners make it a great all year round jacket.

Spyder Garage

I am partial to Firsgear products because I use them and I sell them. But also because they are a great jacket at a great price. There are a lot of great jacket choices out there, so look around. But for a 3 season jacket, the Jaunt T2 and the Kilimanjaro are great jackets. (Fall/Winter/Summer)

For really hot weather, a mesh jacket is the most comfortable.

The Firstgear Adventure Mesh jacket is also a 3 season jacket but a different 3 seasons. (Spring/Summer/Fall) In this case you would probably need something else for cold winter riding.

You can see the Firstgear products to compare here. http://www.firstgear-usa.com/staging...r/jackets.html

Revzilla has some great, detailed reviews on these jackets here. http://www.revzilla.com

My pricing is very good but I can't list pricing here. Just email me at fyredad@hotmail.com or PM me here at Spyderlovers and I can price any Firstgear product for you.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I like Joe Rocket but there are lots of different one around, ask the peopl you see actually using a jacket how they feel about it. Most of us like to talk.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Joe Rocket

I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic Hi Vis jacket. I like the fit, adjustability and removable liner. No issues.
    IMHO, I would try on a bunch and see what's best. Remember to try and simulate the riding position you will be in, just to make sure the length of the sleeves is good.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Firstgear is pretty good all around with liners and vented areas depending on your desired level of coverage.

Baja Ron is a sponsor here and sells them.

All my non-leather is Firstgear except for a couple early purchase BRP. One textile and one leather there. Both very good, but on the pricy side.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

When I'm not wearing a leather jacket, it's this one...

http://www.511tactical.com/5-in-1-jacket.html.

...waterproof, lightweight but very warm with the fleece in, comfortable, durable, lots of pockets, very well made and designed.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    My wife and I wear Tourmaster Flex jackets. Sounds like the jacket Bob Denman described. For 99% of the riding we do, including rain as long as it's not a downpour, it's all we need.

Cotton
    I had the Flex 2...
    They've got the Flex 3 out now...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a Can-Am Cavalier and it is pretty great. I didn't think I would get much use out of it since I live in Las Vegas but it was my go to jacket for this past year. Even in the extreme heat it was great with a cool vest under it. Waterproof too. The only negative is that mine faded from the sun.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We own a couple of Firstgear jackets and love them. A lot of function & quality for the price.

Spyder Garage

Default I have a Can Am Caliber Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Midian View Post
    Hey all, I am looking for a good all around jacket for all/most seasons. I know I will probably get a mesh one for some summer early mornings and evenings, but I am mainly interested in a good one for Spring, Fall and Winter. What do you all suggest for a good all-around with zip out liners, waterproofing, etc. Coming from the two wheel world I am used to half helmets and hoodies so this is all new to me! Thanks in advance!
    If you do your homework you can get one on Ebay for less than $120.00. That's new, with tags. I's a nice all around jacket with a zip out lining. In extreme cold weather you may need an additional layer.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

If it's HOT and HUMID a mesh jacket doesn't do much good, plus they're generally a LOT less protection. I've been wearing the same Motorport Kevlar/Lycra for more than 15 years. Custom made and a great warranty. I have the pants too.
    https://www.motoport.com/

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Thin liner is worthless!

I have a First Gear mesh jacket that came with a thin windbreaker liner. My experience showed the liner to be pretty much useless. The reason being that the only time I used it was when the weather was cool and I wanted to keep the cold air off my skin. But what happens is the the cold air flows right through the mesh of the jacket and pushes the liner tight against my skin. The cold from the air just travels right through the liner to my skin, so even though it breaks the wind it doesn't break the cold. What I found to work really well is a golfer's lightweight windbreaker worn over the mesh jacket. That way I have an insulating layer of air between my skin and the windbreaker.

I don't know how well an insulated liner would work. When the windbreaker isn't enough I wear one, or more, of three different lightweight jackets under the mesh jacket.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Joe Rcket

I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 for Summer (<85 degrees) and a Joe Rocket textile for the Spring, Fall, Winter.

I also have a First Gear Thermal suit for when I ride in temps >35 degrees.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi,

I thought I'd share one of our popular jackets we have available on our eBay store, its a BRP Spyder Caliber Jacket!

Water resistant, removable liner and has ventilation.

We have the charcoal black available in M-2XL & Magnesium in L-XL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-No...e=STRK:MESE:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Non-Curr...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Also, just a reminder we do have a discount code available for all SpyderLover community members when you purchase $40 or more on our online store. Just enter "SPYDERLOVERS" at checkout on our online store! We have all Spyder gear and accessories available.

http://www.imotorsportsinc.com/--xstore
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default REV IT SANDS 2 Jacket and Pants

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/rev-i...jacket-review/

I have the high viz jacket and really like it, Got it last year rode from Ontario Canada to Tennessee last May. The weather was cold when we left the temp was 42F .
    We rode 12hrs the first day with a little drizzle rain here and there. It was cold until all the way to West Virginia where we stopped for the night. It did not warm up until we got closer to Tennessee.
    The jacket and pants performed great. As it got warmer I could take the liners out of the jacket.
    For me it was well worth the money.

Spyder Garage

Default Roadgear jacket

Roadgear makes some good jackets with CE armor. If you go direct to their website, they have a pretty good sale going on a couple of their three season jackets. I just got an Xcaliber jacket that was on sale and had a thirty percent coupon code for even more off. Got a rainproof, hip length jacket, with armor for about $140 including delivery. Can't beat that price and I really like the fit and features. We'll see if I still like it after a bunch of miles.

i have a Joe Rocket Phoenix for the hot weather.
    Scoot

2015 RT-S
    BajaRon swaybar, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Battery Tender power connector, the "Missing Belt Guard", "Don't Eat The Mud" mud flap, JT's dash mount, RAM mounts for electronic stuff.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos@iMotorsports View Post
    Hi,

I thought I'd share one of our popular jackets we have available on our eBay store, its a BRP Spyder Caliber Jacket!

Water resistant, removable liner and has ventilation.

We have the charcoal black available in M-2XL & Magnesium in L-XL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-No...e=STRK:MESE:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Non-Curr...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Also, just a reminder we do have a discount code available for all SpyderLover community members when you purchase $40 or more on our online store. Just enter "SPYDERLOVERS" at checkout on our online store! We have all Spyder gear and accessories available.

http://www.imotorsportsinc.com/--xstore
    I have one of those. Very good stuff.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am very satisfied with my Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket in dayglow yellow and black. I particularly sought out the Kili because is comes in Tall sizes. I've left home in 27-28o weather warm as toast with nothing more than the quilted liner, wool shirt, over pants and heated grips.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

About 5 or 6 years ago I bought the Tourmaster Flex 2 for when I was motorcycling and thought it was a great jacket. I recently purchased the Tourmaster Flex 3 when I got the Spyder.....same great jacket for all seasons with some minor changes.
    2014 Silver RT LTD, SE6