Spyder Garage

Default Heated gear: Insulated or not ?

Hi, guys:

I am planning on buying a Klim Gore-Tex jacket. Klim being a windprood/waterproof outer shell without insulation, I need a thermal layer and I am considering a heated liner.

Things seem to narrow down to 2 different types of heated gear: the Firstgear-style "temperature neutral", non-insulated liners or the Gerbing-style with Thinsulate. Other companies also fall in on either side.

From what I read, non-insulated liners might be thinner and a bit more comfortable under a jacket than insulated ones.

What I am worried about is that worn with a Gore-tex shell, it will have cold spots that owners wearing insulated outer jackets may not feel.

I do not want to stir a debate about which brand is better, but I am looking for advice/comment from someone who has experience with heated gear with a Gore-Tex outer shell.

...Ben...
    Last edited by MtlBen; 04-03-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default I have . . .

. . . . heated vest. By itself, 45 - 50 degrees is fine. With a jacket, down to 32. With a full suit, even 25 is ok.

I don't care for the full jackets, BUT, if you're buying heated gloves, that is the way to go ( most have built in wiring management down the sleeves wich makes it so much easier ).

I don't really care for Gortex jackets either, they tend to be too light and loose and do lots of flapping/ballooning in the wind - noisy, uncomfortable and ineffective.

On the heated gear, make sure it fits snugly and only wear a light layer beneath it otherwise it will not be effective.

The heated vest is one of my most valued pieces of riding gear.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Default Gerbing

Both my wife and I have had Gerbing liners for years. My wife is a freeze baby and her liner keeps her very warm. We both have outer jackets and put the liners under the jacket when very cold. Hope this helps.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

​I have a first gear jacket, gloves and remote controller from Baja Ron. I have a one piece gore tex like riding suit. Depending on your cold tolerance works well from freezing to not needing it ~ mid fifties. I tend to be a cold intolerant type person. Best money invested so far for comfort.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use a Warm and Safe (they make the First Gear heated stuff) heated jacket liner and they tell you in the instructions not to use the jacket's regular liner.http://www.warmnsafe.com/

Last edited by Highwayman2013; 04-04-2015 at 08:48 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I recommend the non-insulated, heated liner. The insulated version eliminates the need to wear a T-Shirt or similar light, thin garment under the heated liner. But the insulated liner can be bulky and not fit as well. It can also make it more difficult to get a jacket on and off. If you're not going to be riding in the Arctic, the non-insulated is the way to go. Less expensive as well.

If you would like a price quote on the Firstgear products, PM me. I can't list my pricing.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I recommend the non-insulated, heated liner. The insulated version eliminates the need to wear a T-Shirt or similar light, thin garment under the heated liner. But the insulated liner can be bulky and not fit as well. It can also make it more difficult to get a jacket on and off. If you're not going to be riding in the Arctic, the non-insulated is the way to go. Less expensive as well.

If you would like a price quote on the Firstgear products, PM me. I can't list my pricing.
    BajaRon:

I tend to ride until the temperature drops to 8-9 degrees C (46-48 deg F). Under my current jacket (an Icon Patrol), I like to wear a turtle neck ski base layer, which I was thinking of using with the heated liner under a non-insulated outer shell. Any concerns with this setup (cold spots or other) ?

I noticed that the Warm&Safe site shows A Generation 3 and a Generation 4 heated liner. Is the FirstGear model a Gen 3 or 4 ?

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

We share the same weather!

I use a Warm& Safe / First Gear heated liner under my regular insulated Frank Thomas motorcycle jacket. With the adjustable temperature control I'm never cold in weather down to 2 or 3 C, (I don't ride in weather colder than that). I also have First Gear heated gloves which attach to pigtails that come out of the bottom of the liner's sleeves.

I don't like drafts so I also wear a neck collar that extends down onto my shoulders.

I attached the temperature controller on the handlebar cover on the left side & plug the vest into a BMW type socket on the left upper panel. The temperature controller is fed from an auxiliary fuse box I installed & the output from it goes to the BMW socket.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    We share the same weather!
    It was quite a shock to wake up in a snowstorm on April 4rth !

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I use a Warm& Safe / First Gear heated liner under my regular insulated Frank Thomas motorcycle jacket. ...
    I read some older discussion threads that mentionned that pretty much any heated liner would do well under an insulated jacket, since it would trap the heat and help spread it around.

I also read that a non-insulated liner worn under a non-insulated jacket would cause warm/cold spots because heat is not trapped and cold would be felt through the non-heated areas.

But that was a 5-6 years old discussion thread. I know that liners have evolved since and now have better heating panel coverage, so that's why I am seeking advice from riders with a setup similar to the one I am trying to put together.

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MtlBen View Post
    It was quite a shock to wake up in a snowstorm on April 4rth !

I read some older discussion threads that mentionned that pretty much any heated liner would do well under an insulated jacket, since it would trap the heat and help spread it around.

I also read that a non-insulated liner worn under a non-insulated jacket would cause warm/cold spots because heat is not trapped and cold would be felt through the non-heated areas.

But that was a 5-6 years old discussion thread. I know that liners have evolved since and now have better heating panel coverage, so that's why I am seeking advice from riders with a setup similar to the one I am trying to put together.

...Ben...
    My liner is at least 10 years old so I'm sure technology has improved them. Good luck with your research.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MtlBen View Post
    BajaRon:

I tend to ride until the temperature drops to 8-9 degrees C (46-48 deg F). Under my current jacket (an Icon Patrol), I like to wear a turtle neck ski base layer, which I was thinking of using with the heated liner under a non-insulated outer shell. Any concerns with this setup (cold spots or other) ?

I noticed that the Warm&Safe site shows A Generation 3 and a Generation 4 heated liner. Is the FirstGear model a Gen 3 or 4 ?

...Ben...
    Firstgear uses all Warm & Safe gear. It's just re-branded. However, there are knockoffs out there that are exact replicas visually, but not functionally. I don't say this just because I sell Firstgear, but because it is true and because I've had customers end up with the Warm & Safe/Firstgear look-a-likes and been very unhappy with them.

Everything I carry is the current production model. Three are times when I have access to discontinued items at very good prices. Frankly, many times the 'New-Improved' version isn't really any better at all and these are real bargains. They just change the product cosmetically to generate more sales.

At other times, real improvements have been made to the product and the benefits of the new item far outweigh the savings available on the discontinued item.

With Firstgear heated gear, upgrades have always been worth while.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

A lot of this comes down to the person. I am not a electric kind of guy. I use layers, granted which is not as convient. TEE shirt, sweat shirt, Jacket with liner, neck gaitor or baarclava, sweat pants and protective pants on bottom. Beyond that a Frog Toggs rain suit and insulated boot.
    Normal ride/no ride is 20 F for short or long distance. PGR mission short distance, have ridden (KIA mission) at 9 F for a hundred miles. Heated grips are nice thou.
    Back to start, a lot depends on person. a friend wears and turn on his electric stuff at the low tempeture of 45F
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner