Spyder Garage

Default Really need your input!! Leangth of 2x10 ramps to use?

I'm picking up my RT tomorrow. Renting a 6x12 uhaul with no ramps. Its approximately 18" from ground to the deck. Would 8' 2x10's work or should I go longer? Will they hold?

Rich

Spyder Garage

I would be concerned about the weight of the bike snapping the boards , especially at the midpoint. Others may have personal experience and can confirm or deny whether they will work. If you have a better option I would use it. Good luck and congrats on your new ryde!

Spyder Garage

put a cinder block at the midpoint

Spyder Garage

very important you secure the ramps to trailer and make sure to support the boards in the middle so they dont bounce which could cause them to break and get very expensive

Spyder Garage

First, measure the width of the tailgate on the trailer, it HAS to be wide enough for the Spyder.... more than 5 feet. In my experience with UHaul, the smaller trailers have narrow tailgates, I had to go to a 2 axle to get a wide enough space for the Spyder.
    Steel ramps are a lot better than 2 x 10 s problem is, you'll need 2 sets, but UHaul might have some to rent.

john

Spyder Garage

10' worked fine for me. You will need some kind of support to stop board from bowing. (Cinder block or cribbing of some kind). You should have an other person to help watch be sure the the board don't kick off trailer as you enter. Use good tie downs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Eight footer will do nicely...

... but some mid-span support will be needed!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I have a 3" bolt..

...that runs thru the board and prevents board from moving on the ramp. Plus I jack up the trailer at the hitch - vehicle and trailer - helps increase slope as well. I also have a 2x4 under ramp edge where it touches the ground where front wheels go to also increase angle of ramp. One other area to be aware of: that the bike does not hit where the ramp and trailer meet - don't want to damage exhaust by hitting that spot. My boards are only 32" long; works for me.

As another thought: after I found where the ramp boards fit, I spray painted around the edge of the board on the trailer ramp -- makes it easy next time you load/unload your Spyder.

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

The direct answer to your question -- Yes. But, x2 to what everyone else has said -- Be careful and think it all out or .....

Last edited by aeroshots; 04-03-2015 at 08:29 AM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRAILERING

Quote Originally Posted by rworell View Post
    I'm picking up my RT tomorrow. Renting a 6x12 uhaul with no ramps. Its approximately 18" from ground to the deck. Would 8' 2x10's work or should I go longer? Will they hold?

Rich
    Others have very good idea's, .....at 18 inches ...8 ft. will be fine ......I tie plastic milk crates under my 10 ft ramps in the middle for support.....Good Luck ...Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Maybe an alternative.

If you have a landscaping rental place by you ( small diggers/loaders, large mowers, ect. ) check and see if they have tilt-flatbed trailers. Most will rent the trailers. Makes it soooo easy.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Rich

Don't shoot the messenger, but can't you find a trailer with an endgate/ramp and forget about bowing boards, ramps, etc.????? It would make your life a lot easier.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

8' would work, if supported in the middle. I never found a U-Haul open trailer that was wide enough? You'd have less hassle if you got a trailer with a tail gate.....no need to worry what to do with the boards.....if you go with a tail gate, make sure the angle will allow you to ease the nose up without hitting.

Spyder Garage

I use 3 aluminum ramps with no problems, attached with 6" nails set in a hole to keep the ramps from moving away from the trailer.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Rich
    Measure the inside of the trailer at the tailgate. I rented a 6x12 and it was a few inches too narrow to get the Spyder on. For some reason u-Haul narrows the tailgate. You would be better off finding. Rental yard that rents utility trailers.

Spyder Garage

...and make double sure you secure the ramps downward before loading or unloading. Maybe run a motorcycle strap over the end of the ramp closest to the trailer and tie it down. Otherwise expect the ramp to pop up. It will damage your Spyder if it pops up.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

If you have to rent a trailer, I vote for a landscape trailer with ramp, or possible even look into dealer deliever if you can not ride it home
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rich
    The 1 I rented from uhaul was a 6x12 without the ramp and just a drop down tailgate that just about a few inches from the ground. I used a speed bump in driveway to load bike. Placed 2x4s from ground on tailgate infront of front tires. unloading of bike I just found a sloped drive way & backed it off. Some people over think stuff too much.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Keep it simple.

Why don't you just dress warm and ride it home?