Spyder Garage

Default long oval helmet

I have been on a quest to find a comfortable helmet.
    I have a long narrow head, (probably been dropped a few times too many).
    and I have Tourettes, so I twitch.
    most helmets sit too high on my head.
    I was at Broward Motorsports the other day picking up a part and I looked at the helmets.
    I tried on a Fulmer N4 (full face) in XXl which is what I usually try on and my head was swimming in it.
    I tried on a XL & it fit good. It's longer than wide and it is not too heavy.
    I also tried on the 75B which is a 3/4 helmet and that fit well also but I needed a XXL.
    I realize that the quality might be different then a higher priced helmet, but if I buy a $600 helmet and don't wear it
    what good is it.

So for all you people with football heads like me, go take a look at the Fulmer line
    Stefan

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm the other way, big round head. Most of the more expensive helmets are too narrow. Right now I am wearing a Scorpion EXO 500 XXXL.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Good advice to go where you can try them on. Mail order helmet purchasing can lead to surprises sometimes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Good advice to go where you can try them on. Mail order helmet purchasing can lead to surprises sometimes.
    RevZilla does a lot of video reviews on helmets, to include the shape head they fit . . . they also have a killer return policy . . . great business.

http://www.revzilla.com/2015-best-mo...s-buyers-guide

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Man. I thought I was the only one with a big melon like you guys. I wear a XXL Shoei RF 1100.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcoulter19 View Post
    Man. I thought I was the only one with a big melon like you guys. I wear a XXL Shoei RF 1100.
    I'm looking at getting a Modular and I like the neotec.

Bill C.

Spyder Garage

Check with bajaron. He hooked me up. The man knows sway bars, oil, clothing, helmets and the list goes on and on.

Spyder Garage

I too have a long, oval head and I wear an XL Arai Signet Q full face helmet. This will be the 3rd year that I've worn it. It fits me very well and I can wear it all day comfortably. It's pricey but I think it's well worth it.

Tony
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    2017 Red F3T

Mods
    Lamonster RIP Floorboards
    Lamonster H4 LED headlights
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights
    Lamonster LED White and Amber Fog Ring
    Lamonster Show Chrome Fender kit
    Lamonster Drink holder
    Lamonster Dual Power Plate with large X-Grip
    Lamonster F3 Driver Back Rest
    Lamonster Lid Lock
    Baker Air Wings Luggage Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarPlayer View Post
    I too have a long, oval head and I wear an XL Arai Signet Q full face helmet. This will be the 3rd year that I've worn it. It fits me very well and I can wear it all day comfortably. It's pricey but I think it's well worth it.

Tony
    I looked at that helmet at Bike week. Their rep Jeff was such a dick that I figured if he was so arrogant before the sale what would happen if I had an issue with the helmet.
    If the customer service is terrible when they are trying to get you to buy, it could only go downhill from there.
    I wish I knew somebody at Arai so I could let them know instead of just telling everybody I see.
    Stefan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    RevZilla does a lot of video reviews on helmets, to include the shape head they fit . . . they also have a killer return policy . . . great business.

http://www.revzilla.com/2015-best-mo...s-buyers-guide
    I looked and they do not carry the brand. Probably because Fulmer policy is not to sell on-line.
    I bought it on E-bay for $60.
    Stefan

Spyder Garage

Arai has a helmet for any shape head, if you are in the Lancaster, PA area The Service Pavilion will even fit you to the right helmet, As we know Arai is not cheap, but nether is your mellon

Spyder Garage

Take a look at this web page Web Bike World. It helped me narrow down what I wanted because it shows what kind of head they fit. Ordered mine from Revzilla. Find some articles that explain how a helmet should fit, lots of people get helmets that are too big and that doesn't protect very well. Remember a five dollar helmet is for a five dollar head.

We don't know what we don't know...

2013 RT Limited
    2012 RT-622 Trailer

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CruiseRT View Post
    Take a look at this web page Web Bike World. It helped me narrow down what I wanted because it shows what kind of head they fit. Ordered mine from Revzilla. Find some articles that explain how a helmet should fit, lots of people get helmets that are too big and that doesn't protect very well. Remember a five dollar helmet is for a five dollar head.
    Thanks for the info, pretty much matches what I figured. With a round head and wanting a modular the pickings are slim.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    I have been on a quest to find a comfortable helmet.
    I have a long narrow head, (probably been dropped a few times too many).
    and I have Tourettes, so I twitch.
    most helmets sit too high on my head.
    I was at Broward Motorsports the other day picking up a part and I looked at the helmets.
    I tried on a Fulmer N4 (full face) in XXl which is what I usually try on and my head was swimming in it.
    I tried on a XL & it fit good. It's longer than wide and it is not too heavy.
    I also tried on the 75B which is a 3/4 helmet and that fit well also but I needed a XXL.
    I realize that the quality might be different then a higher priced helmet, but if I buy a $600 helmet and don't wear it
    what good is it.

So for all you people with football heads like me, go take a look at the Fulmer line
    Stefan
    I have a 3XL football head and ended up very happy with an HJC CL-16 helmet (~$200). Getting a helmet anything other than DOT approval for a size bigger than XXL is hard to do in my case. So, all I get is DOT level protection which is plenty fine for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HedonismBot View Post
    I have a 3XL football head and ended up very happy with an HJC CL-16 helmet (~$200). Getting a helmet anything other than DOT approval for a size bigger than XXL is hard to do in my case. So, all I get is DOT level protection which is plenty fine for me.
    There are tests out there showing that at least some DOT helmets provide as much or in some cases, even more protection than the vaunted Snell rated helmets. Snell started out as a car helmet standard. That didn't translate well to the kind of impacts a motorcycle rider encounters. The very features that kept the car driver safe turned out to be quite detrimental to motorcyclists. But the image was there and it's virtually impossible to change the mind of most customers.

Over the years Snell has acquiesced a little here and a little there finally admitting that what was good for the goose was not necessarily good for the gander. Much of this because European and Asian helmets were producing helmets that transmitted far less energy to the heads of MC riders than Snell rated helmets.

It turned out that the lowly DOT rating allowed helmet makers to produce a safer helmet because they were not hamstrung by the MC detrimental Snell requirements. But a DOT helmet will not bring the same money as a Snell rated helmet because of consumer perception.

Snell has come a long way and their requirements are now comparable with the European standard. I fully expect the next Snell update to bring us all the way up to the EU standards.

So, if you're paying a decent amount of money for your DOT helmet. And it is made by a reputable manufacturer. You're probably getting good to very good protection.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CruiseRT View Post
    Very good advise. Web Bike World has a great deal of helmet info. Heads have different shapes. Most will fit into a neutral shaped helmet. But if you have a Long/Narrow or Round/Oval head, selection gets a bit more difficult.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a helmet I carry 3 brands. I will give you the best price I can. Many times I can beat other discount sources. And if I can't, you know you are getting a good deal elsewhere.

I carry Arai, Nolan and Speed & Strength. I've got some great prices on a few Arai helmets right now.

Of these 3, only 1 (Nolan) makes a modular helmet. And I know that is what many here want to ride. All make a 3/4 helmet.

If I know of a better deal on the helmet you're looking for I will let you know.

Spyder Garage

I had my own shop and internet business for 8 years. After re-tiring from teaching Middle school and coaching for 31 years. I specialized in riding gear. The rider with an oblong shaoed head is a tough one. You almost need to make the rounds of a few dealers and try on some helmets and hope you find one that fits YOU well. Other than that I agree with the comment about Arai having an oblong shape helmet. That brand is expensive but, hey what's it worth to have a good helmet that you will wear.
    Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Very good advise. Web Bike World has a great deal of helmet info. Heads have different shapes. Most will fit into a neutral shaped helmet. But if you have a Long/Narrow or Round/Oval head, selection gets a bit more difficult.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a helmet I carry 3 brands. I will give you the best price I can. Many times I can beat other discount sources. And if I can't, you know you are getting a good deal elsewhere.

I carry Arai, Nolan and Speed & Strength. I've got some great prices on a few Arai helmets right now.

Of these 3, only 1 (Nolan) makes a modular helmet. And I know that is what many here want to ride. All make a 3/4 helmet.

If I know of a better deal on the helmet you're looking for I will let you know.
    I guess I should have known you sold helmets, but some how, I missed it . . . I bought a Nolan N-104 last year from RevZilla . . . I'll be checking with you when it is time to replace it . . . by the way, it is the most comfortable helmet I've ever had . . . also the biggest (XXL) . . . it barely fits in my frunk!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

For me a $20 helmet that I will actually wear is better than a $600 helmet that is uncomfortable and I will not wear.
    I was at the point that I didn't care what the helmet cost as long as it is comfortable.
    Web Bike World did a comparison on one of the Fulmer helmets
    ww.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc-is-33-vs-fulmer-755/
    Stefan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I guess I should have known you sold helmets, but some how, I missed it . . . I bought a Nolan N-104 last year from RevZilla . . . I'll be checking with you when it is time to replace it . . . by the way, it is the most comfortable helmet I've ever had . . . also the biggest (XXL) . . . it barely fits in my frunk!
    Not a problem. I carry so much stuff even I have trouble keeping track of it. Revzilla is a good source and usually has pretty good prices. The main thing is to got a good helmet that fits properly and wear it. There are people driving vehicles with flashing lights that make a living off of people who don't....