Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CONSUMER REPORT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

yiks i do have a 2013 spyder rt and its been a grate ride yes some heat but i got it under cantrole for now ,and hoping the new fix will make it better ,but i do like it and much better than the 2010 rs that hurt my kneews after a 20 min ride;so lets go for a ride now its 65 out today im gone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    I love Sour Kraut

Me too, nothing better than Sour kraut and Pork with butter on dark rye bread!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Dave the 998 may be a " ROCK ", but if you compare the 998 to 1330 maintenance / service schedule and associated dealer charges ( and I'm sure Consumer Reports DID ) ....the 1330 is a bargain..............just sayin........Mike
    True, if you're just measuring cost-of-ownership and the PITA of a service schedule, which I'm sure CR includes.

But I know that CR places a lot of emphasis on actual reliability, and when it comes to that, the 998 is about as reliable as they get. It's what "surrounds" the engine that can get folks in trouble.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I have the report in PDF format but can't seem to be able to attach file here....any suggestions or can I e-mail it to someone to post?

Send it to me see address in sig card

Spyder Garage

Hi Bill,

My home and work e-mail is not liking that e-mail address

Lou

Need a host added to e-mail address, such as; @yahoo.com or @gmail.com......

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    Send it to me see address in sig card
    Last edited by Lou; 04-01-2015 at 02:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

CR bases most of their findings on surveys. Have any of you completed one on motorcycles, I have not...

Spyder Garage

Interesting. Before owning my Spyder, I had nothing but Japanese bikes. Last three were a Yamaha and two Kawi's. I honestly cannot recall any of them ever being in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance and tire replacements.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, BRP stumbled in their first few years of the Spyder and earned their bottom spot on the "repair Shop" ranking.

Spyder Garage

Best I can do with what I have........can't seem to rotate the sucker so tip your heads sideways

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2003 Honda Shadow 750. I have to say i didn't have any trouble with that bike and had it bout 4 years. I bought it used. The is a whole different riding experience. I have not had any trouble with my so far, 2012 Limited. Had it a little over a year and bought it used.

Spyder Garage

Default Here ya go...

Sorry. I can't walk by a crooked picture without straightening it.

Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bronzeflex42 View Post
    I had a 2003 Honda Shadow 750. I have to say i didn't have any trouble with that bike and had it bout 4 years. I bought it used. The is a whole different riding experience. I have not had any trouble with my so far, 2012 Limited. Had it a little over a year and bought it used.
    I had a Yamaha 50 that needed repair so often that I gave it away. I had a Suzuki that never needed anything. I had a BMW that was middle of the road.

So what? If you have high performance machines, you will have repair bills.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Interesting. Before owning my Spyder, I had nothing but Japanese bikes. Last three were a Yamaha and two Kawi's. I honestly cannot recall any of them ever being in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance and tire replacements.
    Likewise. Had over 40 rice burners. No mechanical problems with any of them other than routine maintenance and tires.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

When you are BRP and doing cutting edge designs packed with cool technology, and lots of accessories, you tend to have more service issues than say a Victory V-Twin.

I own both, have not had problems with either.
    Over the time I have owned 3 Spyders I have had a few of the classic problems but no Spyder I ever owned had to stay in the shop for a fix longer than one day.

Spyder Garage

Default love

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

CRACKED ME UP..... I LOVE IT...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's another one...

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

They are BOTH pretty funny.

Spyder Garage

I've had two Spyders with the 990 engine so far. My 1st was the 2008 GS SM5 and my latest, the 2013 RT limited SE5. Overall I've been happy with both and not much to complain about. As far as heat issues go, in all honesty my 2008 GS ran worse in those hot humid summer days and at times went into limp mode. I haven't had that kind of issue so far with the 2013 RT except when I climbed Mt Equinox at last years Spyderquest riding 2up with my daughter. It was running rough at the top of the mountain. Coming down it was fine and no issues for the rest of the event. These are high tech machines and need to be maintained in order to minimize problems. In fact the RT is due for it's 12,000 mile service, which I have scheduled for next week. I'm also waiting on the BRP recall update. I do see a 1330 ( F3 maybe?) in my future, but not at the expense of a loss I would take on trade-in at this time. My 2013 is still a pleasure to ride and I'm willing to keep it for more miles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    CONSUMER REPORT, May 2015 issue has rated 10 motorcycles: BMW, CAN AM, DUCATI, HARLEY, HONDA, KAWASAKI, SUZUKI, TRIUMPH, VICTORY & YAMAHA...
    YAMAHA came in 1st for "how ofter they go to the repair shop" yet it was 6th on "would owners buy it again"... our
    SPYD3R came in dead last on "repair shop" yet it came in 5th on "would you buy again".... pretty good article... Victory won the top spot on "buy again"... HD came in 2nd place... what really surprised me was that BMW came in 9th place, 1 ahead of CAN AM, on "repair shop" visits.... and here i always thought that BMW was the primo bike on the road... Honda came in 3rd on both counts...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R F3-S
    We should be interested in knowing how many bikes of each brand were in the survey???? When I read my copy of the report that was the first thought I had.. If they only had a few bikes from each brand the report is skewed or flawed.
    BIG F

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    We should be interested in knowing how many bikes of each brand were in the survey???? When I read my copy of the report that was the first thought I had.. If they only had a few bikes from each brand the report is skewed or flawed.
    BIG F
    The footnote says over 12,000 m/cs are in the survey. But the fact it also says differences of less than 10% are meaningless indicates the sample size was small, at least for some of the brands. The 10% comment addresses the skew issue you raise.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the only reason harley rated high on the "would buy again" is because those guys will only buy harleys no matter how unreliable or expensive they are. im surprised the spyder didnt rate lower on the "would you buy again" if for no other reason than all the heat issues with basically every model. I have a yamaha and its awesome. Never a problem so far, knock on wood, although i dont have a ton of miles on it. and it performs great. Always feel like i have a piece of precision engineering under me when i ride it. I liked my Suzuki cruiser a lot too before i sold it for the spyder. The spyder may also rate that high because there isnt really any competition for it and although they are all heat beasts its still the safest out there and especially for 2 up which is what i use it for.