Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Handicap Stickers

Having suffered a TBI in 2001, I was sure my riding days were over..but not so. I decided to order 2 vinyl handicap stickers to attach to my helmet and rear fender. When I park, I can display my plaque in an plexiglass holder I made. I secure it through the arm of the mirror.
    I had mixed feelings about the stickers. Not sure if I will leave them on or not. On one hand, some say it will make me a target. Other say I should get a break and maybe even be a conversation starter with those that may not understand my injury, which would be great.
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Vader; 03-30-2015 at 04:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have a few friends who have handicap license plates on their Spyders. They have never had any problems that i am aware of, don't think i would put one on my helmet though.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Display and use your Handicap plaque . . . you are entitled to it. If people use them one their cars why shouldn't you use one on your Spyder?

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We have a wheelchair plate on the Fat White Chick. Since I normally back into parking spaces, I expect sooner or later we can expect a comment from someone who can't be bothered to look at the plate if we park in a wheelchair space. I will politely suggest they walk to the back, look at the plate, then go bother someone else.

The only time a sticker might be useful is if we ride to a public event where there are parking attendants. I have to keep stopping to request handicapped parking. It's a minor inconvenience.

Down here in Floriduh, it's hard to even find spaces during snowbird season. We usually take whatever we can get.

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one..!!

if you don't have the license plate type but have the hanging type what you are doing is good. Don't know about the helmet one but the fender one is good....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

No HC plates for motorcycles in Alaska. I have a hang tag. Put it in a plastic bag and clamp it to my windshield with a couple clothes pins.

No problem with theft of tag. Got a nasty note once. The guy was waiting in his pick up truck for me to come back to my . When he saw me bent over and limping, he did not say much. I waved "hi" to him.

I knew who it was as I saw him finishing up the note when I was exiting the store.

The man was self appointed HC enforcement. He had no HC plate or tag that I saw.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Not sure if you actually have a legal handycap sticker or if you just bought some stickers? Did you have a Doctor sign a form to take to the DMV and get the placard or plate. If you did this you are perfectly legal. If you just sent off for some handicap stickers you are not legal. Your post says you sent off for two handycap stickers. If you did this on your own and are parking in the handycap zones you are in violation of your states laws and could be liable for a very large fine. Legal placards have a state number with an expiration date on them and are issued by the state with a Doctors form on file.

What is a TBI?

I have handycap license plates on all my vehicles including my Spyder.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 03-30-2015 at 03:38 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Test run

Having the plaque and holder is good when I park. If I back into a spot, it can be easily displayed and seen.

I went on a ride today after affixing the stickers to the helmet and fender. While in the right lane of a parkway, I noticed a real nice chopper approaching in the left lane.. He actually slowed, and being he had a peanut helmet I was able to hear him, over both our exhausts, "Good for you!".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Not sure if you actually have a legal handycap sticker or if you just bought some stickers? Did you have a Doctor sign a form to take to the DMV and get the placard or plate. If you did this you are perfectly legal. If you just sent off for some handicap stickers you are not leagal. Your post says you sent off for two handycap stickers. If you did this on your own and are parking in the handycap zones you are in violation of your states laws and could be liable for a very large fine.

What is a TBI?

Jack
    Good point about legalities. Here, a doctors authorization is required. The HC plates for cars are special for AK. The hang tags are the "universal" state versions, with an expiration date printed on them. I had no problem using my AK tag when I was in HI and SD though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

What is a TBI?

Jack
    Traumatic Brain Injury - often has similar symptoms to a stroke.

Spyder Garage

Default TBI

Not sure if you actually have a legal handycap sticker or if you just bought some stickers? Did you have a Doctor sign a form to take to the DMV and get the placard or plate. If you did this you are perfectly legal. If you just sent off for some handicap stickers you are not legal. Your post says you sent off for two handycap stickers. If you did this on your own and are parking in the handycap zones you are in violation of your states laws and could be liable for a very large fine. Legal placards have a state number with an expiration date on them and are issued by the state with a Doctors form on file.

What is a TBI?

Jack
    Hey Jack, Let me clear things up..As stated in my original post, I do have a NYS issued handicap plaque and a holder I created with the help of my wife. I can display it when I park and not worry it will be taken with the holder and a cable lock. The reason behind the stickers was as a "heads up" to those behind me.
    Now the TBI.. In 2001 I suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury. Many issues resulted in my brain being injured. Memory balance, speech, reading and writing all had to be re learned. There are other minor issues but those are the main ones.
    Thanks to Scoots for answering first!

Spyder Garage

here in NYC i don't think a sticker would help with other people seeing it and cutting you some slack. it is like the cards people put on their cars saying CHILD ON BOARD OR I EVEN SAW ONE THAT SAID SHOW DOGS ON BOARD. the people in the city just don't care
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Hey Jack, Let me clear things up..As stated in my original post, I do have a NYS issued handicap plaque and a holder I created with the help of my wife. I can display it when I park and not worry it will be taken with the holder and a cable lock. The reason behind the stickers was as a "heads up" to those behind me.
    Now the TBI.. In 2001 I suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury. Many issues resulted in my brain being injured. Memory balance, speech, reading and writing all had to be re learned. There are other minor issues but those are the main ones.
    Thanks to Scoots for answering first!
    OK Vader, when you stated you "sent away" for stickers it got me wondering. Glad your legal and all. Riding in California last fall someone pulled into a H/C spot beside me and stuck a home made sticker in the windshield. We were both in Starbucks when some one came up to me and asked if I was parked in the H/C spot. They said the police were looking at my Spyder. I went out only to find out they were trying to locate the guy with the phony sticker. They went in and came out with him in handcuffs. H/C parking violation, no drivers license, and wanted on a warrant. They took him into custody and towed his car.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default I have a handicap plaque

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    here in NYC i don't think a sticker would help with other people seeing it and cutting you some slack. it is like the cards people put on their cars saying CHILD ON BOARD OR I EVEN SAW ONE THAT SAID SHOW DOGS ON BOARD. the people in the city just don't care
    As I stated I am my very first post, I do have a NYS issued handicap plaque. I use it when I park. I added the stickers just so those riding behind me are made aware that I have limitations.
    And in NYC, my blue handicap plaque does NOT allow me to park anywhere on the street.. Just in marked spots in parking lots. Although if you are a resident of NYC (the five boros) you can get a different plaque.

Spyder Garage

Default No worries!

OK Vader, when you stated you "sent away" for stickers it got me wondering. Glad your legal and all. Riding in California last fall someone pulled into a H/C spot beside me and stuck a home made sticker in the windshield. We were both in Starbucks when some one came up to me and asked if I was parked in the H/C spot. They said the police were looking at my Spyder. I went out only to find out they were trying to locate the guy with the phony sticker. They went in and came out with him in handcuffs. H/C parking violation, no drivers license, and wanted on a warrant. They took him into custody and towed his car.

Jack
    No problem, Jack.. And I often wonder how other see me. I have a slight limp all the time. Some days my balance is real bad.. Looks like I've had one too many, lol. But being I use to roll around in a wheelchair and stumbled around with a walker, I consider myself lucky to have gotten as far as I have. I am super stoked to be riding again.

Spyder Garage

As I stated I am my very first post, I do have a NYS issued handicap plaque. I use it when I park. I added the stickers just so those riding behind me are made aware that I have limitations.
    And in NYC, my blue handicap plaque does NOT allow me to park anywhere on the street.. Just in marked spots in parking lots. Although if you are a resident of NYC (the five boros) you can get a different plaque.
    i understood what you were talking about, i have a hang tag also
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Jack
    I would have laughed so hard I'd probably injured myself.

Spyder Garage

Default Handicap Tag

I have the hanging HC plaque, My disablities come and go and sometimes can't even be noticed by others, I have Multiple Sclerosis and there are good days and bad days and had people ask me why I have a HC tag, I was not on crutches,wheelchair or a cane but those are good days and bad days puts a cane in my hand for assistance with my walking.

Spyder Garage

No problem, Jack.. And I often wonder how other see me. I have a slight limp all the time. Some days my balance is real bad.. Looks like I've had one too many, lol. But being I use to roll around in a wheelchair and stumbled around with a walker, I consider myself lucky to have gotten as far as I have. I am super stoked to be riding again.
    Good for you!

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am right there with you. I have MS as well. Some days even I don't notice it and others feel like I got hit by a truck and he came back to make sure he got me. I wasn't going to get a handicapped plate, my pride and fighting spirit is a hard sell to give in, but days like today which have been difficult I say f*ck this, give me the plate! lol

Quote Originally Posted by ekfraz View Post
    I have the hanging HC plaque, My disablities come and go and sometimes can't even be noticed by others, I have Multiple Sclerosis and there are good days and bad days and had people ask me why I have a HC tag, I was not on crutches,wheelchair or a cane but those are good days and bad days puts a cane in my hand for assistance with my walking.

Spyder Garage

Hiya vaderImageUploadedByTapatalk1427782573.930822.jpg per a Leo buddy i learned that all a info must match, not just sticker quality, as well as person with up to date handicap id be present. Too many kids borrowing cars and abusing tags. If it comes into question. Just fyi i was able to punch holes in mine and bolt through windshield some clear packing tape & no worries. Now I've got plate and keep the hanger for the truck. No confrontations yet more people looking at the bike than anything. I've got my recovery pics on phone ready and have shared with few polite onlookers that do ask.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Me too!!

... I often wonder how other see me. I have a slight limp all the time. Some days my balance is real bad.. Looks like I've had one too many, lol. But being I use to roll around in a wheelchair and stumbled around with a walker, I consider myself lucky to have gotten as far as I have. I am super stoked to be riding again.
    Sounds like the same cause as my injuries (something not at all obvious to most) & certainly sounds like the same result, especially the need to relearn how to do so many of those things others just take for granted - and I'd really love just an occasional day without the massive headache & ongoing pain - I've really had enough of that already!!

But like you said Vader, I'm absolutely stoked that the Spyder has let me get back out on the road & into the open air (I call it my Hi-speed Mobility scooter!) while the (state govt issued) handicap sticker has helped me with some mobility around town... Altho it is a little embarrassing when people come up to me & berate me for parking in a Handicap parking space "cos it's obvious that anyone who can ride a bike like that can't really need the Handicap Parking sticker" only to have them launch into their "You're just (a) drunk" routine if I try to respond cos my speech is always slurred nowdays & I stumble/lurch along even when walking with the sticks.... And don't even think about trying to explain that to the 'well meaning' types who sidle up to quietly slip me the meeting times/places for the local AA branch...

Is that upsetting? Yeah, sure is!! Hurts even! And sometimes it makes me angry to think that people who are that ignorant & offensive keep on getting away with behaving like that - buuut it usually doesn't take too long to come around to thinking that they really can't help it; they are stuck with that personality and probably couldn't do anything to change their outlook on life even if they wanted to now; that's all they can look forwards to each day, while even if it hurts me a bit to do it, I can still climb aboard my Spyder & ride on out of there!!

On a good day, an hour riding the RT can be as good for pain relief as my afternoon dose of morphine!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-31-2015 at 03:21 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Hey Bfromla! Thanks Peter

Thanks guys for the comments. Being I have the issued parking plaque from my yown, my intent adding the stickers was just yo open up people's minds, which I believe I have accomplished. Will there still be those that may say unkind things or stare..probably. Will I care..I doubt it. I just happy to be riding again.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Default Handicapped stickers

Must agree with CruzrJoe...not onthe helmet. Fixed to the bike is a no brained. As an AKA I know the feeling when someone gives the "stare"... But I am proud to raise the pant leg and offer them the opportunity to photograph me on or off the bike😎. It has gotten much better in the recent past but there truly are those that just don't get it. Those of us with a bonafide disability certainly would rather be able to park and walk the distance but sometimes simply can't. A little courtesy certainly goes a long way. Thanks for the opportunity to ride again safely and with confidence.

Spyder Garage

Biggest abuse of H/C Placards I have seen is they are way out of date. Some by years. Probably 1 out of 4 are out of date and no longer valid and still taking up a H/C space. In AZ the Placard has holes punched out for expiration date. and not real easy to tamper with. Several I know have children with disabilities and still use while the child is not with them. Then there is the wife or husband using when the disabled is not with them.

There are many abuses with the 6 month temporary placards. People continue to use them long after they expire. IMHO license plates with handicap privileges is the best way to go and the most legitimate way but even they are abused by spouses and other family members. As we all know the H/C person must be present to use any of these.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick