Spyder Garage

Default Red & Blue Flashing Headlight

We bought an RT Limited in mid February at dealer 100 miles from home. To bring it home we put the dog in the truck and made a day of it. On the way home, my wife riding her new motorcycle, I noticed a couple of times that the headlights would appear to be flashing red and blue for a while then go back to normal. I figured it was sunlight and sun glasses causing an optical illusion. This was viewed in the mirrors of the truck. Yesterday we were riding and she was following me on our TriGlide. I noticed the flashing lights again. I raised my tinted visor, took off my sunlight glasses etc., trying to figure this out. They would still flash red and blue. The right one would flash blue on and off alternately with the left one flashing red. The lights appear to be yellow normally but when they flash there is no yellow visible. This will go on for several seconds then they return to normal. This scenario will repeat for several minutes, the flashing for a while then back to normal then the flashing again. Yesterday this condition lasted for approximately 10 minutes. Long enough to view with naked eyes, no glasses of tinted visors. The mirror was the only between my eyes and the lights. The first time we were going south, yesterday we were traveling north. We have been on several rides but this is the only times that I have witnessed this. I was wishing I had a camera that I could record it with.

Any ideas as to the cause?

=bob=
    2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ???????

Unless the bulbs were changed they aren't red & blue ...............What you are noticing is the LOW beam shutter bouncing up & down .....it is common to all Spyders except European models ( they have a different system ).........Just leave the HIGH BEAMS on in the daytime .....it solves the problem and no one will notice the Highs are even on........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Relax. .!!

this is normal. When RT's are behind me I notice the same effect. The shutter system is strange and the ST's now apparently have the dual filament bulbs and no shutters but the others are all still the same...like Mike said.....run your highs/shutters wide open during the day...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Red and Blue flashing headlight

The flashes seem very well timed. Bouncing shutter, to me, would indicate random timing. I am glad to hear that it is a common thing as would hate to be accused of impersonating law enforcement. My wife said she rides with the HI beams and fog lights on all the time. While it was occurring the other day, I had her try HI and LO beams with the fog lights on and off. It didn't make a difference to the flashing. Then they just go back to normal.

=bob=
    Last edited by brerrabbit; 03-29-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Spyder Garage

It is normal sort of. The very fat headlight lens acts like a prism and splits the white light into it's different color parts. Visible at the edges of the beam like the horizontal cut off line on low beam. So as the Spyder travels over the dips, dives and potholes and because the wheelbase is so short. The headlight angle keeps changing so it looks like the lights are flashing and you will see color changes where the white light is split.

If it is real bad it could be a sign that the headlights are aimed too high. A slight adjustment will greatly reduce this effect. Only a small adjust may be necessary. Also it can be a good idea the run with high beams during the day and will eliminate the issue during the daylight hours.

The bouncing shutter thing I think somebody made up one day and IMHO has no basis in fact. Well at least no one has offer any proof this is true.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the ideas. I find no reference to the shutters in the '14 RT manual supplement. They are mentioned in the '13 shop manual. No doubt here as to shutter ideas and the refraction being involved. But....

What would cause the shutters to alternate, one down and one up. It is always the same thing. Blue light from right side, left side off then Red light from left side and right side off. It doesn't flicker. The lights alternate on-off with a perceived 'on' time of about 1/2 to one second interval. It looks very much like the red and blue light from a law enforcement vehicle. This will go on for several seconds possibly a minute, then it goes back to normal for a while. Then it will start again.

It is possible that all these ideas contribute to the phenomena. Separation distance may also be involved. Next time I see them I will try to test these theories.

I must be really bored.

=bob=

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brerrabbit View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I find no reference to the shutters in the '14 RT manual supplement. They are mentioned in the '13 shop manual. No doubt here as to shutter ideas and the refraction being involved. But....

What would cause the shutters to alternate, one down and one up. It is always the same thing. Blue light from right side, left side off then Red light from left side and right side off. It doesn't flicker. The lights alternate on-off with a perceived 'on' time of about 1/2 to one second interval. It looks very much like the red and blue light from a law enforcement vehicle. This will go on for several seconds possibly a minute, then it goes back to normal for a while. Then it will start again.

It is possible that all these ideas contribute to the phenomena. Separation distance may also be involved. Next time I see them I will try to test these theories.

I must be really bored.

=bob=
    Forget about the shutters. Has nothing to do with it. If both headlights are not aimed exactly the same they will look like different colors.

I know you're bored but turn your attention to something more important.

P.S. This topic of discussion has been going on since 2008.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Ok, at this point we have shutter flutter, light refraction and possible Doppler effect. In late '08 and early '09 I was working in Dulce NM. So as ancient astronaut theorists would suggest...............

=bob=

Spyder Garage

A lot of us are running the high beams all the time to avoid the "shutter bounce" issue. Akspyderlady did not have her high beams on yesterdays first ride of the year. It appeared her headlights were flashing. We got the red/blue effect on our 2009 RS. High beams fixed it.

We don't do a lot of night driving--because there is no night here in summer. But high beams on all the time at night can be an issue. Daytime--not so much.

When cars start pulling over for you--time to go to high beams in the day time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    A lot of us are running the high beams all the time to avoid the "shutter bounce" issue. Akspyderlady did not have her high beams on yesterdays first ride of the year. It appeared her headlights were flashing. We got the red/blue effect on our 2009 RS. High beams fixed it.

We don't do a lot of night driving--because there is no night here in summer. But high beams on all the time at night can be an issue. Daytime--not so much.

When cars start pulling over for you--time to go to high beams in the day time.
    I do not doubt the theories I have received prior to this post including the ones I have come up with myself but they leave a few things unaccounted for. I believe billybovine had a good idea about turning my attention to something more important but that means I will have to stop procrastinating.

Unaccounted for:
    1. She runs with HI beam on all the time. Switching between HI and LO did not cause it to stop. It worked the same on both HI and LO.
    2. The timing of the flashes. They seem to be alternating on a timed cycle for several seconds at a time. Not blinking or fluttering on and off. It does not appear to be random time slots.
    3. Lack of normal headlight during the flash cycle. When the red is off, there is no light at all on the left side. Same with the blue on the right side when it is off.
    4. There is never a time when both sides are off at the same time. One is on or they are transitioning. I have watched them for several minutes (while riding, not parked, so I could have missed something).
    5. Blue and red light never alternate from one side to the other. In other words, blue never shows up where the red light has been.
    6. Refraction of the light would mean I would be able to see the colors at any time by raising or lowering my point of view. Squatting if you will. So far I have not been able to find the correct angle.

It appears there is no definitive answer at the moment. Maybe someone has a better explanation. She emailed BRP about it and got the response that basically asked why she would bother them with this as the dealer is all knowing. We may try the dealer but they will have to see it to test it, etc. and if there is something going on, it is intermittent so they will not see it therefore the diagnosis will be it is all in my mind.

Thanks,
    =bob=

Spyder Garage

Default flashing lights

Why not have someone ride with you and make a video of it.Show it to your dealer
    my 2 cents worth
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

It is not a problem .......................... just ride the bike and enjoy it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

When all other explanations fail
    I would say you are out running LEO
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch