Spyder Garage

Default Considering the Spyder RT

Hello Spyder people......

I just joined this forum today, mainly because I'm seriously considering the Spyder RT. I've been seeing them on the road for a couple of years, have even ridden in many group rides there there are Spyders with us. I've had a really hard time getting over the unusual design, but the time has come for me to just get over it. I turn 66 this June (Not that age should have anything to do with it), and my legs, knees, and feet are starting to show signs of wear and tear, along with remnants of old broken bones. I currently ride a Victory Vision (Talk about getting over an unusual design) and I really love it. I looked into the trike conversion kit, and the price is astronomical. That led me to the Can-Am Spyder website where my wants and needs landed on the RT. I sent in a request for a quote, but haven't gotten a response. We are in the middle of Bike Week here in Phoenix, so I doubt that I will hear from anyone before next week. Before anyone tells me to go to Bike Fest and do a demo, I actually did take a demo a couple of years ago when I was still riding a Goldwing, but never followed up. I don't think I was ready for three wheels at that time.

Anyway, I have a list of questions that I'd like to ask before I meet with a salesperson.

• How is the leg room for the rider? I ask this because one of the main reasons I went from the Goldwing to the Vision was because the Goldwing cramped up my legs and the Vision has lots of room to stretch out. From looking at the pictures, it appears that the legroom may be as lacking on the Spyder as it was on the Wing.
    • Does the 1330 CC engine provide good power? I had 1800 CC on the Wing, and have a 103 CI engine on the Vision, so I'm spoiled on power.
    • How does it handle crosswind?
    • Does it come with heated seats? (Yes, I'm spoiled)
    • Are there driver and passenger cup holders available? (Yes, I'm spoiled)
    • Is it fairly easy to do minor work on? I like to do my own oil changes etc.
    • Does the RT Limited have enough practical features to justify the extra $4,000 price tag?

Thanks in advance everyone. I will appreciate any help.

Pam
    Last edited by Pampurrs; 03-28-2015 at 08:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Anyway, I have a list of questions that I'd like to ask before I meet with a salesperson.
    Hi Pam, I'll answer some of your questions. I'm sure others will chime in as well...

• How is the leg room for the rider? I ask this because one of the main reasons I went from the Goldwing to the Vision was because the Goldwing cramped up my legs and the Vision has lots of room to stretch out. From looking at the pictures, it appears that the legroom may be as lacking on the Spyder as it was on the Wing.
    • It should be OK. But if you are cramped with the stock seat, there is a "Comfort Seat" available that will give you another 2" leg room, while reducing the passenger room slightly. The "comfort seat" on the 2014/2015 models actuary is quite a bit more comfortable as well.
    • Does the 1330 CC engine provide good power? I had 1800 CC on the Wing, and have a 103 CI engine on the Vision, so I'm spoiled on power.
    • It has plenty of power. You will not feel a need for more, I am certain. My previous bike was a big Yamaha Royal Star Venture with a V-4, and I'm comfortable with the power on my older RT with the 998 engine.
    • As long as the front tires are properly aligned it will handle a cross-wind with no problem - better than a 2-wheel bike
    • I believe there is an option for a heated seat. Of course you'll pay more.
    • Plenty of choices for these available after market. I personally like the RIVCO cup holder for the front.
    • I have my dealer do mine, so I'll defer on this one. But I have not heard too many complaints from other owners. There are also after-market kits available to make it easier.
    • Does the RT Limited have enough practical features to justify the extra $4,000 price tag?
    • Only you can answer this. Here is a description of the differences from BRP's web site. The RT has three trim levels. Each level has the options from the previous level, plus additional add-ons.

The above trim levels are for the 2015's. I'm not certain, but I think they were the same on the 2014. The two model years are very much the same except for paint colors, so if you can find a 2014 left-over, you will save a few thousand dollars. Also look for available BRP factory discount for these two model years. BRP and dealers will also sometimes throw in extended BRP warranties as a buying incentive.
    Last edited by robmorg; 03-29-2015 at 01:03 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I almost ordered the RT versus the F3. You get allot for your money with the RT. 2015 RT will probably be the most reliable, comfortable, and accessorized Spyders. Most creature comforts come with it and many others are available thru 3rd parties.

As to worth of RT-Limited only you can decide if additional features are worth the money to you. Many Limited owners will share their thoughts with you, I'm sure.

The 1330 engine will provide you with plenty of power - not to worry.

Enjoy your investigation - take a demo ride - RTs are at most if not all dealers.

It you ride it, it'll be hard not to buy it.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Hi Pam, I'll answer some of your questions. I'm sure others will chime in as well...

• It should. But if you are cramped with the stock seat, there is a "Comfort Seat" available that will give you another 2" leg room, while reducing the passenger room slightly. The "comfort seat" on the 2014/2015 models actuary is quite a bit more comfortable as well.
    • It has plenty of power, you will not feel a need for more, I am certain.
    • As long as the front tires are properly aligned it will handle a cross-wind with no problem - better than a 2-wheel bike
    • I believe there is an option for a heated seat. Of course you'll pay more.
    • Plenty of choices for these available after market. I personally like the RIVCO cup holder for the front.
    • I have my dealer do mine, so I'll defer on this one. But I have not heard too many complaints from other owners.
    • Only you can answer this. Here is a description of the differences from BRP's web site. The RT has three trim levels. Each level has the options from the previous level, plus ext add-ons.

The above trim levels are for the 2015's. I'm not certain, but I think they were the same on the 2014. The two model years are very much the same except for paint colors, so if you can find a 2014 left-over, you will save a few thousand dollars. Also look for available BRP factory discount for these two model years.
    110% I have a corbin heated seat and love it. I do not like the BRP Rt seat as I feel it moves you ahead too far and I do not like the lumbar pad in my back. the corbin seat is more comfortable for me.

I bought a spyder RT because of past broken bones, bad knees and some nerve damage in my hands and feet. I am very comfortable on it I can ride and my wife and I have ridden 12 hour days before just stopping for food and fuel.

I just bought a 2015 spyder RT limited because I wanted the chrome,GPS, and the new motor and the running boards. I traded in a 2010RT S. I really like the SE6 transmission.

Welcome to spyderlovers ,this a great site with great people. Have fun shopping. There are all kinds of supporting vendors on this forum that have everything to make your spyder comfortable and your own.

Spyder Garage

Default RT

It took me till age 76 to decide it was time for a three wheeler. Just haven't been as comfortable on rides as in years past holding up a near 900 lb bike and don't drag the pegs like my younger days. Second knee replacement pretty much made the decision.
    I bought an RT-S this Feb. and haven't looked back at the Harley and Goldwing I traded in. I opted for the RT-S instead of limited because am not a Chrome junkie and don't need a built in GPS or luggage bags. You will love the Spyder once you get one and riding.
    Welcome to the Forum and ride SAFE.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

take one for a test ride and see if it is what you want..That is the best way to tell if this suits your needs..

I am happy getting away from the Harley and buying the new 1330 engine.. along with some of the other features like heated seat,heated grips,power steering. etc

Spyder Garage

Default All good questions...

I've had a lot of bikes, a couple Goldwings, a couple BMWs etc. I traded in a Goldwing F6B had 3,000 miles and which I loved....I thought I may be slightly crazy....but I found all my questions vanished after about 100 miles, that was three days ago. All of a sudden it hit me that even though I loved riding bikes I always had a sort of "fun dampener" built in because of a various amount of factors which centered around dropping it or sliding around a curve...all that stuff.
    After about 100 miles it hit me, the feeling of 100% fun without those things which had always haunted me......the feeling of confidence the stability factor gives you trumps everything else.

the riding position does seem a lil cramped but when you ride you do stretch a bit more in turns so you do need to be closer to the steering...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome Pam,
    I am going to be a new RT Limited owner in the next month. I've owned 3 H-D touring bikes, and 2-GL1800 trikes. There are a number of ex-wingers on this forum that may speak up. I will share my research:
    1. The 1330 has enough power. Takes premium fuel like my H-Ds, where as the GL1800 took regular. RT gets better gas mileage after broke in.
    2. Maintenence maybe more expensive than a GL1800 due to the need to remove tupperware to perform maintenence. Service intervals are extended on the 1330.
    3.A RT Limited is not as "sophisticated" as a Leval 2 GL1800 with respect Comfort, CB, or XM radio; but has more safety features.
    4. You can get a heated seat; but you need the Comfort Seat option first.
    If you are "too spoiled" by the GL1800 features, the RT Limited may not be the vehicle for you. It will cost a pretty penny to Wingize a RT Limited. I tried. Like many, I've decided to accept all the positives that the RT Limited has to give, and keep on being in the wind.
    Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm 67 and just went from a Victory Vision Tour to a 2014 RT Limited. Couldn't be happier. As others have opined, aging and strength factors -- not to mention the wife's bad knees -- led us to the trade. Hey, I loved the VVT but couldn't get my wife on comfortably and confidently. Now, we can both ride without problems. I'm 6'2" and in the process of getting highway pegs sorted out but that's the only issue I have. Make the jump -- you won't be sorry.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    take one for a test ride and see if it is what you want..That is the best way to tell if this suits your needs..

I am happy getting away from the Harley and buying the new 1330 engine.. along with some of the other features like heated seat,heated grips,power steering. etc
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As to seats, the Comfort seat and the Corbin heated seat have already been mentioned. Corbin also has a Lamonster-cut seat that gives you a bit more leg room, but I don't know if heating is possible.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post

As to seats, the Comfort seat and the Corbin heated seat have already been mentioned. Corbin also has a Lamonster-cut seat that gives you a bit more leg room, but I don't know if heating is possible.
    Is it safe to assume that the RT is prewired and pre switched for the heated seat?

Thanks

Pam

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

Glad you joined up. As you can see you get all the answers you need here. I do agree in that you really need to test ryde these machines. The vast majority love them and will speak highly of them but thats them and you seem set on what your looking for in your new ryde. I don't think you will be disappointed and if there is some feature you are not happy with we have a large number of sponsors ready to help you correct that. Hope you have fun shopping and find what your looking for...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it safe to assume that the RT is prewired and pre switched for the heated seat?

Thanks

Pam

yes to be used with the BRP comfort seat..

I drive mine again today even tho it was 40 and the wind chill was in the 20's the triaxis bars and Baja Ron sway bar is the way to go..I pretty much sit in the saddle and steer and shift with my thumb..

The ride is amazing I still cannot believe the ride on the

This is coming from a old Harley Rider

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just bought a new RT limited six weeks ago love it traded a Kaw 1700 voyager no comparison to power & handling A plus for the CamAm the 1330 engine has plenty of power to go around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm new to the Spyder world and am pondering the idea of purchasing a used 2013 limited RT. I've heard that the 13's had quite a lot of problems (some mechanical problems, heat, random fires, etc). Also what should I expect to pay for normal maintenance? Please give me some advice.

Sent from my iPad

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scottwf View Post
    I'm new to the Spyder world and am pondering the idea of purchasing a used 2013 limited RT. I've heard that the 13's had quite a lot of problems (some mechanical problems, heat, random fires, etc). Also what should I expect to pay for normal maintenance? Please give me some advice.

Sent from my iPad
    Find a good 2014 used..Seems to me some are jumping on the 1330 wagon and trading in the older models..

Spyder Garage

Most of your questions have been answered.
    I bought my first (2008) when I thought they were interesting and cool. Now, I ride them because I can no longer heft around the 900# big iron two wheelers. Now have my second and third RT's. Have both a 998 and a 1330. The 1330 is by far an improved engine. Plenty of power, better gas mileage and less maintenance required on the 1330. First oil change is at 3000 miles. The next oil change is 9300 miles later and subsequent oil changes every 9300 miles or once a year. Valve adjustments are no longer required.

Test drive is recommended so you will know what you are getting.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down In a word "RUN"

Quote Originally Posted by Scottwf View Post

Sent from my iPad
    If at all possible, go for the 2014. While you may find some excellent deals on the 2013, there are excellent reasons why. Read on this forum for a while and I believe you will understand why.
    Last edited by Ben Burped; 04-01-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default RT Spyder

and glad you found this site, ask questions we are here to help!

Leg Room...... their is a lot of leg room, I am 5 feet 7 inches tall I have plenty of leg room. The seat is very comfortable I don't get any leg cramps.

1330 Ace engine has plenty of power, ( no worry's) the engine is configured with three in- line cylinders. It produces high-torque response in every gear and 40% more low-end torque. You can ride up to 252 miles @ 62 mph on 1 tank. Ride more, and spend less, thanks to a low maintance, even the sound it makes on the road is unique and impressive, with the in-line configuration producing a refined , signature quality sound that stands out from the motorcycle crowd. It also has a 6 speed transmission with reverse.

The RT-SE6 has a new 12-watt alternator, gets 85% more power for your electronic accessories, instead of the previous maximum of 650 W, lets you enjoy more accessories on Spyder RT.

My first spyder was a 2012RTS-SE5 then I upgraded to a 2014RTS-SE6 because of the power, comfort, less maintance, better on gas mileage, plus everything that I had heard about the 2014RTS-SE6 on this site. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    If at all possible, go for the 2014. While you may find some excellent deals on the 2013, there are excellent reasons why. Read on this forum for a while and I believe you will understand why.

Sent from my laptop using hunt and peck.
    Is the 2013 the one that bursts into flames for no reason? That happened to a friend of mine right after he pulled into the garage after a ride. He got the insurance money and bought a Victory 8 Ball. He swears he will never buy another Spyder. I'm not letting that deter me though, as I have heard they fixed whatever problem it was that was causing that.

Pam

Spyder Garage

Hello Spyder people......

I just joined this forum today, mainly because I'm seriously considering the Spyder RT. I've been seeing them on the road for a couple of years, have even ridden in many group rides there there are Spyders with us. I've had a really hard time getting over the unusual design, but the time has come for me to just get over it. I turn 66 this June (Not that age should have anything to do with it), and my legs, knees, and feet are starting to show signs of wear and tear, along with remnants of old broken bones. I currently ride a Victory Vision (Talk about getting over an unusual design) and I really love it. I looked into the trike conversion kit, and the price is astronomical. That led me to the Can-Am Spyder website where my wants and needs landed on the RT. I sent in a request for a quote, but haven't gotten a response. We are in the middle of Bike Week here in Phoenix, so I doubt that I will hear from anyone before next week. Before anyone tells me to go to Bike Fest and do a demo, I actually did take a demo a couple of years ago when I was still riding a Goldwing, but never followed up. I don't think I was ready for three wheels at that time.

• How is the leg room for the rider? I ask this because one of the main reasons I went from the Goldwing to the Vision was because the Goldwing cramped up my legs and the Vision
    • has lots of room to stretch out. From looking at the pictures, it appears that the legroom may be as lacking on the Spyder as it was on the Wing.
    • You Will have to sit on the Spyder to determine leg room.
    • 1330 has more than enough power for the Spyder

• Better than any two wheeler

• Heated Seats are an Option
    • After market cups for driver and passenger are available
    • For some items it is not too bad, most items require the removal of Tupperware which is not hard but time consuming, some items require software.
    • NO, the only practical things you get are a GPS and one piece of luggage, chrome is the only other difference and maybe color.

Thanks in advance everyone. I will appreciate any help. Hope this helps

Pam

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'll just add this about leg room. Having ridden all three, the RT with foot boards has more than a GL-1800 and less than a Vision. I'm comfortable with the RT, but I probably will add highway pegs sometime in the future for longer trips.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    I'll just add this about leg room. Having ridden all three, the RT with foot boards has more than a GL-1800 and less than a Vision. I'm comfortable with the RT, but I probably will add highway pegs sometime in the future for longer trips.
    If it's more legroom than the GL 1800, I'm ok with that. I'm 5'8" and don't have really long legs. I barely use all the space on my Vision floorboards.

Where do you install highway pegs on the Spyder? Can someone post a photo?

Thanks

Pam

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it's more legroom than the GL 1800, I'm ok with that. I'm 5'8" and don't have really long legs. I barely use all the space on my Vision floorboards.

Where do you install highway pegs on the Spyder? Can someone post a photo?

Thanks

Pam
    On another post

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...els-from-RIVCO