Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Most Popular Mods

Purchased my first Spyder last winter ( 2011 RSS) and was wondering what mods., or add-ons are the most popular...or needed.

I've seen sway bars mentioned, exhaust mods.

I havent done anything to it yet, and was just curious what other seasoned riders like on the RSS's..

Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LVSpyderwebb View Post
    Purchased my first Spyder last winter ( 2011 RSS) and was wondering what mods., or add-ons are the most popular...or needed.

I havent done anything to it yet, and was just curious what other seasoned riders like on the RSS's..

Thanks
    When I had my RS the 1St thing I did was change out to the comfort Seat. Then after a while and a few different trial & error windshields went to the Madstad.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RSS mods

Thanks...Windshield is a good idea....Thanks for the info...I'm raring to get going this year..Roads are in bad shape here in Eastern pa...

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    I also added the Madstad windshield to my 2012 RSS. It really cut down the head buffeting at speed. Excellent. John

Spyder Garage

Default Rule of thumb....

Start with safety mods, followed by comfort/handling mods finally bling/shinny stuff. You will see mostly BajaRon swaybar (handling/safety) and spyderpops bumpskid (vehicle safety). Once you have time and miles under your belt you can see where you want to go.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Bump Skid, Sway Bar & Lazer Alignment

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2008 RS SM5: These are the ones that benefited me the most: Anti-vibration handlebar inserts, handlebar riser, fog lights, adjustable clutch handle (adjusts reach), replaced back of front fender reflectors with running/brake LEDs,windshield, GIVI top case with brake/running led lights, manual fan switch (I turned on the fan directly and or computer could still turn on fan).
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

My first addition on 20 day old RS-S.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Ops! Rocking chair in photo. Well why not?

Spyder Garage

My suggestion is don't change anything until you've ridden it for at least 2K, this will tell you what you do and don't like about the ride. All our riding styles and journey's are different, as is what we find comfortable and want to experience.

Having said that one thing that has to change is the sway bar, though it's possible a previous owner has already done this on yours so check first. I think BajaRons are red and most people have those so it's relatively simple to tell if it's been done. Again though I would say don't change this straight away but ride the Spyder with the standard one first - once the cornering etc starts to annoy you fit one and you'll understand what the fuss is about:-)

Now I have made no changes to the seat, screen, pegs or bar height as I found those were just right for me as standard. But you may find that you want more weather protection (big screen), the bar position make your arms or back ache (risers), your bums numb (different seat), grips too small (grip puppies) and so on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    My suggestion is don't change anything until you've ridden it for at least 2K, this will tell you what you do and don't like about the ride. All our riding styles and journey's are different, as is what we find comfortable......
    I agree with this 100%[emoji106]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    My suggestion is don't change anything until you've ridden it for at least 2K, this will tell you what you do and don't like about the ride. All our riding styles and journey's are different, as is what we find comfortable and want to experience.

Having said that one thing that has to change is the sway bar, though it's possible a previous owner has already done this on yours so check first. I think BajaRons are red and most people have those so it's relatively simple to tell if it's been done. Again though I would say don't change this straight away but ride the Spyder with the standard one first - once the cornering etc starts to annoy you fit one and you'll understand what the fuss is about:-)

Now I have made no changes to the seat, screen, pegs or bar height as I found those were just right for me as standard. But you may find that you want more weather protection (big screen), the bar position make your arms or back ache (risers), your bums numb (different seat), grips too small (grip puppies) and so on.
    Here here, well said.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    Ops! Rocking chair in photo. Well why not?
    Nothing wrong with a rocking chair out in the garage. I will have mine with a beer cooler.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Things to think of

FIRST... Think of safety and comfort, depending on how tall you are I would think of doing something with the
    handle bars they are much to far forward and down " like a sports bike "crotch rocket" and the pegs are back so that puts
    you in a leaning forward position, unless you are a life long crotch rocket rider this will get old real soon. I would look at changing the
    bars, getting floor boards, or relocate the pegs down and forward, ride that way for while and see how it is then you may want to change
    the windshield, you get plenty of buffeting with the stock shield and with most all aftermarket shields, if you notice almost every motorcycle
    now comes with an adjustable shield on it for that reason I would look very hard at the Madstad shield, it adjusts up, down, forward and back
    it is simply the best you can buy in my opinion, have them on my other motorcycles and love the way you can adjust it to where you want it.
    all the above will get you in a seating position more like the Spyder ST maybe even better. Then I would look at storage, do yo plan on going
    on long trips? you will need some saddle bags there are a zillion of them out there, I went with the GIVE bags they are the same as the BRP bags and work great but they are $$$, you can find them on line or maybe try other brands such as a company called "Leather Like" check the
    ads in Rider mag. and others for them, you can also get many different soft bags try Cycle Gear.... there are many vendors here who stock
    and sell things of this type right here on Spyder Lovers, I would go there first as all the vendors here are HONEST and have good pricing
    for Spyder Lovers members. then think of the seat yo are sitting on, do you like it? or hate it? there are a bunch of seat makers here on the forum the prices are all over the board but remember it's your butt that has to like it, so don't be hasty you may find a used seat in the
    classified section here. Some folks love the sway bars and some people want a hand brake, they are all here. all you need is a bunch of $$$$
    Get out there and ride and enjoy that Spyder it will not take long for you to decide what to change then go for it...
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Last year after riding my Spyder GS, I added the mirror extensions. Now I can see better to the rear.
    This year I added; Drivers backrest, passenger backrest, Helibars handlebar riser, the Can Am saddlebags,
    passenger footpeg extenders, and waiting to come in the mail, are the drivers highway
    pegs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool Most Popular Mods

Thanks for all your help everyone....I think I have a good idea of what to do....I've been riding it for about a year....so I am definitly going for the sway bar....and a fellow Spyderlover had a OE passenger backrest I just made a deal on...

we'll start there..

Thanks again to everyone...Now to find some fellow riders in the Lehigh Valley
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Your fellow riders have you covered.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    Nothing wrong with a rocking chair out in the garage.
    ... As long as your not actually USING it!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all your help everyone....I think I have a good idea of what to do....I've been riding it for about a year....so I am definitly going for the sway bar....and a fellow Spyderlover had a OE passenger backrest I just made a deal on...

we'll start there..

There's a group of us out your way often. We ride from south jersey/delaware out toward Lancaster and Reading quite a bit. Shoot me a pm with your cell and I'll keep you posted and we'll catch up as the weather clears.

Spyder Garage

we'll start there..

Just spotted the photo, you've got my favourite paint scheme on that RSS. There's one of the local riders who's got the same and as far as we're aware it's the only one like it in NZ - all of us who ride with him are a bit jealous:-)

Didn't realise from your first post that you'd had your Spyder for a while. When you've done your sway bar you may find it's worth playing with the settings on your front suspension as well. Before fitting one I had mine on the top setting to try and flatten it out on the corners, however that tended to mean that it was a bit skittish on uneven roads (and following the earthquake we had a lot of those:-)). After fitting the sway bar I found I could take the suspension down a notch to get a smoother ride and yet it still handled better in the corners than before.

I'm going to turn your original question around now - so after a year what would you like to improve?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RSS mods

[I'm going to turn your original question around now - so after a year what would you like to improve?[/QUOTE]

I think the swat bar is a must for me....and thanks for the shock tip....havent even looked to see where they are set....

Just made a deal for a OE Passenger backrest, so that made me happy too... It most likely will be some kind of Floorboards next for sure.

AS most have stated here...I'm gonna take it slow...Tweek a few things, and see what happens. It looks like some RS ryders are torn between sport riding, and more of a Sport touring set-up.

Thanks for the comment about the color scheme...I think its one of the best I've seen, and turns alot of heads around here..