Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Does anyone use MS Streets and Trips to plan routers on their Zumo?

Hello,

I used MS Streets and Trips to plan a route on my Zumo 660. The route looks like exactly what I want. However when I import the GPX file into the GPS, it changes my route so that it goes the way the GPS wants me to go rather than the way I want to go...

Can anybody provide any insight on this? Very frustrating...

Thank you,

Chris

Spyder Garage

I also tried, but gave up at the end.

Streets & Trips does not export mid-points along the route, so the different routing algorithms between Microsoft and Garmin yield different results.

I would also not invest too much effort in Street & Trips if I were you, since the product is discontinued and will not receive any maps updates in the future.

I got used to BaseCamp now, and I use it for my Zumo. Very counter-intuitive when you are used to Street & Trips, but works fine when you finally get the hang of it.

Good luck. let us know if you succeed.

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

I removed it from my computer yesterday (2010 edition) & put the CD in the recycling.

I was finding it very out of date & no new versions are being made.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MtlBen View Post
    I got used to BaseCamp now, and I use it for my Zumo. Very counter-intuitive when you are used to Street & Trips, but works fine when you finally get the hang of it.
    ...Ben...
    Any clues for those of us still struggling with it?
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike

Spyder Garage

I have been using MapSource which came with my Zumo 550 but is seems that they are now pushing BaseCamp. BaseCamp seems to make things harder to do than MapSource but I guess I have to suck it up and get used to it. I do see more features in BaseCamp though.

Spyder Garage

The trick is to use more waypoints than necessary to get the route the way you want it. I have been using MS Streets & Trip the last two years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk
    2011 Pearl White RT Limited
    HMT Brake Light, Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Lights, GloRyders, Seal Floorboards, Powerlet 12V, Garage Door Momentary Button, Bump Skid, Elka's Stage 1, Ultimate Sea, Air Wings

Member of the Woodstock Spyder Ryders (Illinois)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ursamajor35126 View Post
    Any clues for those of us still struggling with it?
    This is how I find it manageable to work with BaseCamp: (Note that I tend to plan mostly day trips, 4-8 hours in my area)

• I start with a work folder in which I keep only a collection of "Waypoints" that I created over time with my home and a number of waypoint set to destinations in the general areas where I tend to ride.
    • I use the icon "New Route" to create an itinary. but before you do it:
    • With your work folder selected, make sure you see your waypoints in the bottom left window pane. (you can click on the little flag at the bottom left to make sure the waypoints are visible)
    • Drag your waypoints into the Start and Destination areas of the "New Route" window. A route will be calculated and shown on the map.
      • The new route named after your start and destination points was created. Select the "Show Route" icon at the bottom left of your window if you can't see it in the bottom left window pane.

• Use the "insert" (Pencil) button, click on the road on the map at a point that you want to avoid, and click again on the road that you want to take instead. It will insert a waypoint in that position and will recalculate the route to go there.
    • Insert as many waypoints as you want to reshape your itinary to your liking.

• To create a roundtrip:
      • Double-click on your route in the bottom left window pane to bring up the route window
      • Select your destination
      • Click on the green "+" button on the right. This will bring a new window with your waypoints. Select your home waypoint, for example.
      • Click "Insert". This will add your final destination, but at the wrong position.
      • Use the "Move Down" arrow on the right to move your final destination to the end of your route.
      • Use the "insert" (Pencil) button on the map as before to customize your way back

• Neat trick: You can create mixed Car/Motorcycle routes
      • This allows me to easily use car preferences to stay on the highway to get out of town, and then to use the motorcycle preferences to stay on backroads:
        • Double-click on your route in the bottom left window pane to bring up the route window
        • Double-click on the waypoint in the route window to bring up the "Edit Via Point" window
        • Select the "Driving" or "Motorcycling" option at the bottom of the "Edit Via Point" window. Your GPS will use that option as well and will match BaseCamp itinary.
        • It will save you from having your GPS wanting you to take every single exit of the highway, or it will save you from having to specify half a gazillion waypoints to stay on the highway when you want to.

• Other notes:

• On trips where multiple routes are possible between 2 waypoints, there is sometimes a mismatch between BaseCamp's road selection algorithm and the one built into the GPS. It may be worth inserting a few waypoints along the route selected by BaseCamp to make sure your GPS is also forced to go through these points and does not take you to your destination via an other route.
    • I like to review each waypoint along the route at maximum zoom on the map. When you use the waypoint insert (pencil) tool, it may insert the waypoint a bit off the main road, on cross-roads or in the lane going in the opposite direction if it is a divided highway. I use the "Move point" tools to clean up. Take a few minutes on the computer to save yourself headaches while riding.

It sounds worse than it really is, when you realize the strenght/quirks of the software.

'hope it helps. Let me know if I need to be more explicit with some of my explanations.

...Ben...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MtlBen View Post
    This is how I find it manageable to work with BaseCamp: (Note that I tend to plan mostly day trips, 4-8 hours in my area)

• I start with a work folder in which I keep only a collection of "Waypoints" that I created over time with my home and a number of waypoint set to destinations in the general areas where I tend to ride.
    • I use the icon "New Route" to create an itinary. but before you do it:
    • With your work folder selected, make sure you see your waypoints in the bottom left window pane. (you can click on the little flag at the bottom left to make sure the waypoints are visible)
    • Drag your waypoints into the Start and Destination areas of the "New Route" window. A route will be calculated and shown on the map.
      • The new route named after your start and destination points was created. Select the "Show Route" icon at the bottom left of your window if you can't see it in the bottom left window pane.

• Use the "insert" (Pencil) button, click on the road on the map at a point that you want to avoid, and click again on the road that you want to take instead. It will insert a waypoint in that position and will recalculate the route to go there.
    • Insert as many waypoints as you want to reshape your itinary to your liking.

• To create a roundtrip:
      • Select your destination
      • Click on the green "+" button on the right. This will bring a new window with your waypoints. Select your home waypoint, for example.
      • Click "Insert". This will add your final destination, but at the wrong position.
      • Use the "Move Down" arrow on the right to move your final destination to the end of your route.
      • Use the "insert" (Pencil) button on the map as before to customize your way back

• Neat trick: You can create mixed Car/Motorcycle routes
      • This allows me to easily use car preferences to stay on the highway to get out of town, and then to use the motorcycle preferences to stay on backroads:
        • Double-click on the waypoint in the route window to bring up the "Edit Via Point" window
        • Select the "Driving" or "Motorcycling" option at the bottom of the "Edit Via Point" window. Your GPS will use that option as well and will match BaseCamp itinary.
        • It will save you from having your GPS wanting you to take every single exit of the highway, or it will save you from having to specify half a gazillion waypoints to stay on the highway when you want to.

• Other notes:

• On trips where multiple routes are possible between 2 waypoints, there is sometimes a mismatch between BaseCamp's road selection algorithm and the one built into the GPS. It may be worth inserting a few waypoints along the route selected by BaseCamp to make sure your GPS is also forced to go through these points and does not take you to your destination via an other route.
    • I like to review each waypoint along the route at maximum zoom on the map. When you use the waypoint insert (pencil) tool, it may insert the waypoint a bit off the main road, on cross-roads or in the lane going in the opposite direction if it is a divided highway. I use the "Move point" tools to clean up. Take a few minutes on the computer to save yourself headaches while riding.

It sounds worse than it really is, when you realize the strenght/quirks of the software.

'hope it helps. Let me know if I need to be more explicit with some of my explanations.

...Ben...
    Wow, thank you for taking the time Ben... I certainly appreciate it. I will combine these tips with with some of the info I got from Garmin yesterday when planning my next ride. It is definitely going to take come getting used to thats for sure. I appreciate having this all in Writing...

- Chris

Spyder Garage

Love all the electronic gadgets but I still prefer a map - although I will give in to using Google maps...
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by caw001 View Post
    Wow, thank you for taking the time Ben... I certainly appreciate it. I will combine these tips with with some of the info I got from Garmin yesterday when planning my next ride. It is definitely going to take come getting used to thats for sure. I appreciate having this all in Writing...

- Chris
    I just started really using Basecamp.
    It actually is a very good program, a little tedious, but worth the effort.
    It is best if you link your GPS to the program, as your GPS will typically have a more detailed, up to date map.
    What really helped me want to learn the program, was the tutorials which can be found that this site: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/41136

I will be using Garmin's Basecamp to create files for some of the rides at this year's Spyderquest in Lake George, NY

Bill Pitman, Spyderquest Team Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bill pitman View Post
    ... It is best if you link your GPS to the program, as your GPS will typically have a more detailed, up to date map.
    There actually is a rather well-hidden option that allows you to download the full-detail maps onto your computer so you can see them without having to plug in your GPS:

Start Garmin Express:

• In Map Update, click "Show Details"
    • Select "Advanced Options"
    • "Where would you like to install..."
    • Select "computer only"

This will download a copy of the maps on your computer for BaseCamp to use. In Basecamp, under "Map" menu, you should see the map you just downloaded.

An other tip to fix something that bugged me for the longest time: The levels of details (secondary roads) disappear too quickly when you zoom out. To fix this:
    • Make the "Detail Level" toolbar show up:
      • View menu -> Toolbars -> Detail Levels

• In the new toolbar that show up, select "Higher" or "Highest", to your liking.

'Hope this helps...

...Ben...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default .....

Thanks for that additional info Ben,

Bill

Spyder Garage

Here's a link that's will give you step by step instructions for using GoogleMaps (Classic Version).
    I use this and always gets the custom route I want to go!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ogle+maps+tyre

Post #5
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac