Spyder Garage

Default Another 2014 CB problem. HELP!

Hi all,

After purchasing my 2014 RT-L in September, I did a bunch of winter farkles and now have a CB issue that the dealer can't solve (yet!). From the beginning...purchased bike in September. Added Ron bar/links and TricLed foam grips and rode it till winter settled in. Put about 2600 miles on it, all was great. Over the winter, I added the following items: TricLed 3rd/4th running/brake lights, Custom Dynamics high-mount running/brake light, TricLed mirror mount turn signals, Russell Day-Long seat, BRP trailer hitch & wiring harness, BRP CB & entertainment harness. Everything worked fine, and I put about 100 miles on a post-winter shakedown cruise.

All was well, until I went on my first group ride of the year. After using the CB, the VSS light came on, followed by the check-engine light and the bike going into limp-home mode. I pulled over, shut the bike off, restarted it and all was well until I used the CB again, then the same VSS/check-engine/limp-home situation. I could receive on the CB just fine. The push-to-talk (PTT) button seemed to cause the problem. During this time, I was using an EdSets headset, which seemed to work fine. No passenger headset was used.

After getting home, I searched this site and found out about problems with the 2014 RT's and certain CB's. As far as I could find, the problem CB's had part #'s 219400145 & 219400532. I took the bike to my dealer and explained the situation (including that I knew of the previous CB problems) and figured they'd take care of the problem. A few days later, they called and said my CB and entertainment harness were being replaced as part of a recall. Took almost another week to get the parts and install them. Picked the bike up and took it home (all trips to & from dealer were trailering the bike). Got the bike home and took it for a ride...made it 4 miles before the SAME EXACT PROBLEM re-occurred (again only when using the PTT button on the CB), and as a "bonus", there's a horrible squeal in my headset when transmitting. Shut off and restarted the bike, took it home, and re-tried the CB PTT, same squealing and VSS/check engine/limp-home. Tried my wifes helmet which has a J&M headset...no squealing but same VSS/check engine/limp-home issue. Curious as to what they replaced, I checked the repair order. The entertainment harness they installed was part # 219400610, and the CB was part # 219400611. I compared those part #'s with the ones I bought in October...yup, SAME part numbers!! Trailered it back to the dealer (one hour each way), NOT happy and let them know it.

That was Wednesday. As of today (Friday), they said their tech took everything that he had replaced apart, checked all connections, re-assembled it, and no change. They're stumped, and don't know what to do, so they tell me they've "opened a case with BRP". I asked them what that means, and they said they posted the problem on BRP's dealer website and are waiting for a reply. I asked when I could expect an answer as to what will happen next, and was told I'd get a call back in 20 minutes. No call by end of business Friday (3 hours later).

Needless to say, I'm quite frustrated, and was wondering if anyone might have any insight into my problem. For what it's worth, I took a picture of the label on the first CB when I installed it, it read "NTouch CB, P/N 710 004 021, 20141015, S/N001074.

Thanks in advance!
    Gene

Gene

2015 Honda Goldwing Comfort/Audio

**SOLD**2014 RT Limited, Black Currant
    B
    1975 Yamaha RD-125, Red
    1500 miles, all stock time capsule!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the ideas!

I have the phone # and address of the manufacturer (RadioSound out of Louisville, KY). They are one option if BRP can't figure it out, but after dropping $30K on a bike and factory accessories, I expect BRP to work out any issues with RadioSound (if the cb unit is the problem). As for headsets and grounding, the problem occurs even without the helmets connected (with that said, I DID have the lower cable connected to the bike with no headset plugged into it). I gave the dealer both helmets/headsets/cords to use, and told them they were welcome to try a BRP headset if they wished (this would be an issue with me as I want to use my helmet on multiple bikes and the BRP headset works only on Spyders). I installed the CB myself as I wasn't sure the dealer would install/ground it properly, and I wanted to install additional grounding as listed on this site. Except for the issues I listed, the CB worked fine after my installation...only had a squeal after the dealers re-installation.

I'm thinking that the problem lies somewhere in the integration of the CB to the bike in the CanBus system, but was hoping that someone may have heard of this problem and may have a resolution for it.

Thanks!
    Gene

Gene

B
    1975 Yamaha RD-125, Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default CB ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jpbuch9309 View Post

The link points to a J&M headset. I have one and tried it...no luck

Gene

B
    1975 Yamaha RD-125, Red

Spyder Garage

I just updated my ongoing problems with my 2014 RT-S CB radio on the " CB radio issues" thread. I did not seen this thread before doing so. Sounds like we have the exact same problem. I thought mine was fixed when the dealer changed out the antennae for one with a different center wire in the antennae cable connection to the CB unit. Worked without a squeal for 2 rides before the squeal returned.

I found Radio Sound on the internet. Their website states they make CB's for Can-AM and Harleys among other OEM's. They will NOT deal with customers directly. Customers are directed to go through their dealers.

My dealer's next step in resolving the CB problem is to replace the unit. From your posts, it sounds like this may not be the answer. BRP did "recall" the CB's that were in stock in (I believe) August 2014. Came out with "new" ones in October. I got mine installed 12/4/14.

I have new J&M Performance headsets in my helmets. J&M reported they had not received any complaints about their products with use on Spyders. There is a thread here that stated the J&M had two wires crossed from the wiring in the Cam-AM headsets , which made the J&M's not compatible with the Spyder's CB. I would think J&M would not sell a lower cord for the Spyders if their headsets were not compatible.

If a new CB unit does not resolve the problem, I will be asking for my money back and will be investigating how to attach a handlebar mounted J&M CB . Have had one on my ST1300 since 2005 .

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up " How's that working for you " ?

Quote Originally Posted by DonST View Post
    I just updated my ongoing problems with my 2014 RT-S CB radio on the " CB radio issues" thread. I did not seen this thread before doing so. Sounds like we have the exact same problem. I thought mine was fixed when the dealer changed out the antennae for one with a different center wire in the antennae cable connection to the CB unit. Worked without a squeal for 2 rides before the squeal returned.

I found Radio Sound on the internet. Their website states they make CB's for Can-AM and Harleys among other OEM's. They will NOT deal with customers directly. Customers are directed to go through their dealers.

My dealer's next step in resolving the CB problem is to replace the unit. From your posts, it sounds like this may not be the answer. BRP did "recall" the CB's that were in stock in (I believe) August 2014. Came out with "new" ones in October. I got mine installed 12/4/14.

I have new J&M Performance headsets in my helmets. J&M reported they had not received any complaints about their products with use on Spyders. There is a thread here that stated the J&M had two wires crossed from the wiring in the Cam-AM headsets , which made the J&M's not compatible with the Spyder's CB. I would think J&M would not sell a lower cord for the Spyders if their headsets were not compatible.

If a new CB unit does not resolve the problem, I will be asking for my money back and will be investigating how to attach a handlebar mounted J&M CB . Have had one on my ST1300 since 2005 .
    Don't give up. Stand there while your deader calls Radio Sound. If Radio Sound will only deal with BRP get them all together on a three way call at your dealers. There is a time to be a nice guy and there is a time to stand up and say "enough".

Spyder Garage

Just an update...

Tomorrow begins week #5 that my Spyder has been at the dealership for this problem. They have replaced the CB unit and entertainment harness with no change. BRP insisted that they try a THIRD harness, which (of course) had to be ordered.

I'm not sure what all they have done, but they think they have the PTT VSS/Check Engine situation fixed, but state that they can only use the CB with a BRP headset, and that my two headsets (One a J&M, one an EdSets) cause a squeal when pressing the PTT button.

I'm posting a new thread inquiring who has had success using NON-BRP headsets with a 2014 RT CB. I'll keep you all advised...

Thanks!
    Gene

Gene

B
    1975 Yamaha RD-125, Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Lucky you. I took my 2015 RT ltd to the dealer on November 12, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by gened4288 View Post
    Hi all,

After purchasing my 2014 RT-L in September, I did a bunch of winter farkles and now have a CB issue that the dealer can't solve (yet!). From the beginning...purchased bike in September. Added Ron bar/links and TricLed foam grips and rode it till winter settled in. Put about 2600 miles on it, all was great. Over the winter, I added the following items: TricLed 3rd/4th running/brake lights, Custom Dynamics high-mount running/brake light, TricLed mirror mount turn signals, Russell Day-Long seat, BRP trailer hitch & wiring harness, BRP CB & entertainment harness. Everything worked fine, and I put about 100 miles on a post-winter shakedown cruise.

All was well, until I went on my first group ride of the year. After using the CB, the VSS light came on, followed by the check-engine light and the bike going into limp-home mode. I pulled over, shut the bike off, restarted it and all was well until I used the CB again, then the same VSS/check-engine/limp-home situation. I could receive on the CB just fine. The push-to-talk (PTT) button seemed to cause the problem. During this time, I was using an EdSets headset, which seemed to work fine. No passenger headset was used.

After getting home, I searched this site and found out about problems with the 2014 RT's and certain CB's. As far as I could find, the problem CB's had part #'s 219400145 & 219400532. I took the bike to my dealer and explained the situation (including that I knew of the previous CB problems) and figured they'd take care of the problem. A few days later, they called and said my CB and entertainment harness were being replaced as part of a recall. Took almost another week to get the parts and install them. Picked the bike up and took it home (all trips to & from dealer were trailering the bike). Got the bike home and took it for a ride...made it 4 miles before the SAME EXACT PROBLEM re-occurred (again only when using the PTT button on the CB), and as a "bonus", there's a horrible squeal in my headset when transmitting. Shut off and restarted the bike, took it home, and re-tried the CB PTT, same squealing and VSS/check engine/limp-home. Tried my wifes helmet which has a J&M headset...no squealing but same VSS/check engine/limp-home issue. Curious as to what they replaced, I checked the repair order. The entertainment harness they installed was part # 219400610, and the CB was part # 219400611. I compared those part #'s with the ones I bought in October...yup, SAME part numbers!! Trailered it back to the dealer (one hour each way), NOT happy and let them know it.

That was Wednesday. As of today (Friday), they said their tech took everything that he had replaced apart, checked all connections, re-assembled it, and no change. They're stumped, and don't know what to do, so they tell me they've "opened a case with BRP". I asked them what that means, and they said they posted the problem on BRP's dealer website and are waiting for a reply. I asked when I could expect an answer as to what will happen next, and was told I'd get a call back in 20 minutes. No call by end of business Friday (3 hours later).

Needless to say, I'm quite frustrated, and was wondering if anyone might have any insight into my problem. For what it's worth, I took a picture of the label on the first CB when I installed it, it read "NTouch CB, P/N 710 004 021, 20141015, S/N001074.

Thanks in advance!
    Gene
    I took my 2015 RT to the dealership November 12, 2014. Got it back first of May. They replaced the CB, radio, entertainment harness, entire wiring harness, console twice. Still no fix. Same interference. They are telling me the J&M headsets are the problem. Their regular headsets will not fit my Nolan 104N. Had to order the Bluetooth headsets and dongle for $930. They are on back order until June 3 but I do not believe this is the problem. Will let you know.

Spyder Garage

harness, console twice. Still no fix. Same interference. They are telling me the J&M headsets are the problem. Their regular headsets will not fit my Nolan 104N. Had to order the Bluetooth headsets and dongle for $930.That's bovine excreta ! Your J&M headsets are superior to anything you'll get from BRP. They tried that song and dance with me before.

Spyder Garage

I had the squeal in one of my J&J head set but the other is working with my Spyder CB just fine. J&M said send in the bad headset and they would work on them. They said they didn't see any thing wrong but replaced the connectors anyway and returned them. I haven't remounted them in my other helmet so I'm not sure weither the problem is fixed.

I'm using the J&M elite headsets and the dealer installed the CB radio, com system and XM reciever when I purchased the Spyder. Hope everyone get repaired quickly.

Spyder Garage

Since the dealer added a ground wire from the CB mounting plate to the ground at the gas tank, at my request, the squeal when trying to transmit has been resolved. Before this the CB would work if only the driver J&M headset helmet was used alone. If the passenger's J&M headset helmet was connected, the CB would squeal. Before having this ground wire added, I had to ask my girlfriend to disconnect her headset for me to transmit without the squeal.

Spyder Garage

Default Did they find a fix???

I purchased my 2014 RT Limited on 8-31-17 and had a CB installed. The first shop blew me off saying it was my J&M headset. They had my bike for about a month. Well I took it to a different dealer in November and they still have it. They have replaced the CB and harness multiple times, they replaced the antenna, the wiring harness for the bike, the dash cluster and still no answers. It’s finally getting nice in MI and I want to ride!!! They also tried BRP headsets with no luck... please if they figured your out I would love to know so I can get riding!!! I’ve only had the bike in my possession 1 month out of 8 that I have owned it...
    2014 RT , Black Currant