Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Phyxius's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default How to get my spyder back - Contacts at corporate?

At spyder fest 2 years ago my cluster started acting strange and would cycle on and off while I was riding. The BRP guys there had nothing to contribute so, I rode it to Pitbull and they ran it through BUDS and couldn't find anything wrong. It behaved for the rest of the trip. It started doing the same thing again this summer and I posted a video and thread here and took it back to my dealer.

They replaced the cluster after THREE trips back and forth to them complaining about this. Well, that resolved the screen issue but, the rear suspension adjustment was no longer working. This is a 2012 RT-S. Some googling suggested it needed to be run through an ACS campaign, that apparently this is known issues when the cluster is replaced. After being unhappy with the service and tired of getting friends to take 4 hours out of their day to drive me to and from the dealer I decided to try one closer to me.

My spyder has been there since SEPTEMBER. Back when they would actually answer the phone they told me they were waiting for a part but, they couldn't tell me what part. Now, they don't even answer their phones, they go straight to a recorded message and then a voicemail box. But, they don't return calls.

I've found some reviews and a rip-off report for them that all say this is normal behavior. After weeks or months you get your jetski, boat or spyder back usually totally WRECKED and they try to charge you hundreds or thousands of dollars.

I just want it back and will probably try to get rid of it at this point. (Not saying I won't get another spyder but, probably call it quits on this specific one).

So, that was a super long story to ask if anyone knows how I can complain to corporate or SOMEONE at BRP that can do something. I mean what, file a police report for stolen property?!?

-Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    Photographer and horse rider.
    2012 RT , Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Don't know about BRP contacts, but making noise there wouldn't hurt.

I would file complaints with the Better Business Bureau and your state Attorney General, the latter normally has a consumer complaint division.

Spyder Garage

Just go there and pick up your spyder, fixed or not. Then take it somewhere else. Rent a trailer if you have to but GO GET IT, IN PERSON. They cannot refuse to give you your bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Ouch! It may be time to make a "surprise" visit to the dealer with a trailer and just pick up your machine.

Waiting on a "part" since September, and failing to answer the phone are two large red flags IMO.

If you show up at the dealer and they "misplaced" your machine, its time to call the police and file a "theft" or similar report. Then an insurance claim.

If the place is out of business, then you have an even bigger problem. Then it sounds like an insurance claim is in order. The insurance company can do the dance for you.

Hope you can get this solved.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

What is the name of this dealer??

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would show up on their doorstep before they opened and meet them SOB's at the door and demand my bike back. Several witnesses with me at the time. Might even want to video this encounter. I would not take no for an answer and would demand to see the bike as it is. If it needs put back together I would tell them they have 48 hours to make it happen. That is your property and they cannot deny you your property. If they yell you that it still has pending charges, you can tell them that you have changed your mind and are going elsewhere. If they try to stick you with more than a teardown fee you can tell them in 48 hours you will bring the police back for your bike. The cops will make them give you your property back and tell them that they must settle this in court with you. If they cops try the soft shoe shuffle, stress the length of time they have had this, the fact that they will not answer their phone, or return any of your calls. You should make some headway then. I would still follow up with BRP. At the very least you may save one of us the misery of dealing with these bozos.... Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

I would do the following...

1) Have you driven to this dealer and walked in the door? Are they still in business?
    As suggested try to get your spyder back yourself. I know a local here that had to do just that. If this dealer tries to charge you for getting it back, be ready to get a lawyer.

2) Check the BRP web site to see if they are even listed as a dealer anymore! Use the "find a dealer" link at the very top.

http://www.brp.com/en-us/vehicles/can-am-roadsters#

Yes I would contact BRP about it and at least let them know that one of their dealers is not treating you correctly and that now you are worried about ever getting your spyder back.

2) Contact the better business bureau, check for complaints, get the dealers business license info, etc.
    Get this info as ammo in case you have to get a lawyer.

This is where I would start.

Bummer to hear this but alas not the first time I have heard of this. A local here had this issue and had to get a trailer to take it to a different dealer after months of this kind of going's on. I now know to avoid this dealer at all costs.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Call BRP directly in Valcourt (Quebec) at this number: 1 (819) 566-3366

Have on hand your VIN.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You don't need to bring BRP into this pi**ing match...
    The others have given you courses of actions to take when you go meet with the dealer.
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Who is the dealer?

Please let us know who the dealer is so we locals won't make the mistake of going to them.

PM me directly if you want some local help.

Good luck with yours and thank you,
    Charles
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Wow.. that's a long time. I would've been at the dealership within two weeks asking what part do they need to fix and I would contact BRP myself or ordered the part online.

I vote for you to go get your Spyder. I would prepare to take the day off and be at the dealership as soon as it open. I would inform the Service Manager that this is absolutely insane w/ a lot of profanity. I would then ask to see my Spyder.. if you can ride it off the lot.. I would ask for the key and leave. If you cannot ride it, then I would call a tow truck... normally free w/ your insurance company and take my Spyder to another dealer or home.

Good luck buddy

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

Re: You don't need to bring BRP into this pi**ing match...

Why not? From what he is saying here it is a s**t dealer. BRP should know about this type of crap.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Bob,

Re: You don't need to bring BRP into this pi**ing match...

Why not? From what he is saying here it is a s**t dealer. BRP should know about this type of crap.

Jerry Baumchen

I think it's a her.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

N
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You don't need to bring BRP into this pi**ing match...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The others have given you courses of actions to take when you go meet with the dealer.
    Good Luck!
    Sorry Bob to disagree with you, but I think this dealer did not respect BRP policy about customer services. IMHO, BRP should know about this problem.

Spyder Garage

Try this also, rene.quenneville@brp.com. Their policy is to contact the dealer service manager first. If that doesn't resolve the issue, call or e mail customer service.

I've been told that MotorsportsInc in Hanover, Pa is a very good dealer. 717-632-7093.
    Last edited by bruiser; 03-20-2015 at 03:55 PM.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdr View Post
    [INDENT]N

Sorry Bob to disagree with you, but I think this dealer did not respect BRP policy about customer services. IMHO, BRP should know about this problem.
    +100

BRP should know about this dealer if they have not already removed them from their dealer list!

One man's story does not mean everything but one man complaint should be heard.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

To the OP I say you have way more patience than I would have ever had.

I too think that BRP should know and deserve to know. I think that they hopefully would want to know what has gone on.

I won't reiterate what others have said as it is very good advice.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Phyxius's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks all!

Per a suggestion here I checked the dealers list and they were no longer on it so I started to freak out even more. I called BRP Customer Service at 888-272-9222 and they confirmed that the dealer IS a current dealer despite not being on the map. They also recommended that I stop in and said "some dealers aren't good about answering the phone or returning calls". Seriously?!

This dealer is closed Mondays and some Thursdays according to the customer service lady. So, I'm planning to drive down there on Tuesday. I've ordered a micro start because I'm sure they've not had it connected to a tender. At the very least I want to get it off the lot. I have insurance and an extended warranty so calling for a tow is definitely an option if it's not driveable. It was perfectly driveable when I dropped it off but who knows what they've done it.

I'm not sure if I should tell them I'm coming or just show up? They don't answer or return calls but I ASSUME they're listening to them.

The dealer in question is Trumbull Motorsports in Mechanicsville, MD. When I first bought my spyder they had good reviews and currently all I can find is bad and worse. Needless to say I won't ever be going back there again.
    -Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    Photographer and horse rider.
    2012 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

I would show up period! No returned phone calls and this long a period is not good.

Good luck Christina, we are hoping it turns out.

Keep us informed.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Had this happen to me a long time ago and called the police dept and filed a theft report and notified the Insurance Co on it. The dealer was raided and got my bike back and the insurance Co covered the repairs.

Active Member Lone Spyder Ryder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
    At spyder fest 2 years ago my cluster started acting strange and would cycle on and off while I was riding. The BRP guys there had nothing to contribute so, I rode it to Pitbull and they ran it through BUDS and couldn't find anything wrong. It behaved for the rest of the trip. It started doing the same thing again this summer and I posted a video and thread here and took it back to my dealer.

They replaced the cluster after THREE trips back and forth to them complaining about this. Well, that resolved the screen issue but, the rear suspension adjustment was no longer working. This is a 2012 RT-S. Some googling suggested it needed to be run through an ACS campaign, that apparently this is known issues when the cluster is replaced. After being unhappy with the service and tired of getting friends to take 4 hours out of their day to drive me to and from the dealer I decided to try one closer to me.

My spyder has been there since SEPTEMBER. Back when they would actually answer the phone they told me they were waiting for a part but, they couldn't tell me what part. Now, they don't even answer their phones, they go straight to a recorded message and then a voicemail box. But, they don't return calls.

I've found some reviews and a rip-off report for them that all say this is normal behavior. After weeks or months you get your jetski, boat or spyder back usually totally WRECKED and they try to charge you hundreds or thousands of dollars.

I just want it back and will probably try to get rid of it at this point. (Not saying I won't get another spyder but, probably call it quits on this specific one).

So, that was a super long story to ask if anyone knows how I can complain to corporate or SOMEONE at BRP that can do something. I mean what, file a police report for stolen property?!?

Find out if they have a Facebook page, Twitter account, Web page, and if your nearest local tv station has Call Kurtis 5 min time where they story about some business or what ever the story is segment. http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/...len-car-claim/ Tell your story on all of them. I use all of the above options when dealing with a problem that no one wants to help with. Worth a try. Good luck.
    When you change the way to look at things,
    the things you look at change!
    Dr.Wayne Dyer

Spyder Garage

You've received very good and valid advice from OP. You still have a couple of cards you should play in appropriate order IMO. First off, keep every bit of profanity out of the dialogue (this from a guy who can make a boatswain's mate blush) because you MUST maintain the demeanor of a totally rational but very ill served customer. You must speak with the service manager and insist that he/she provide you with an accurate diagnosis and plan of corrective action within X hours, no more than 48 at max IMO.

If this step does not bring forth your desired results, speak again with the service manager and tell him, "You leave me no recourse except to speak with the owner of the dealership. Please put him on the phone, right now." Owner not readily available, leave him a message with the senior manager in the business with instructions that that you expect a return call from the owner in X hours. No verbal response from the owner, immediately send a registered letter to same explaining not only the problem with his service department but his failure to return your call. Reiterate your requirement for a personal phone call within X hours and your position, "Should I not hear from you in X hours you leave me no recourse but to report the matter to the Better Business Bureau and to BRP." Then proceed accordingly. You always have the option of seeking assistance from a local TV station consumer assistance advocate but don't use such as a threat -- it should come as a thunderbolt out of the blue if you do use it.

Whether and at which point you demand the immediate return of your unrepaired Spyder is your call, but you must convey to the parties you deal with that they are messing with the meanest mutha in the valley, who knows exactly what he's doing and he's had enough of their . You should also be prepared to pursue the matter in small claims court and if such is necessary you want to be able to portray yourself as THE rational and reasonable aggrieved party who has tried everything reasonably possible to get your problem solved. They've had the Spyder since September, a few more days aren't going to matter but you remaining in complete control of the strategy is very important. My apology if I told you how to build a watch when you merely wanted to know the time. Good luck.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

No, I would not call them in advance to let them know you are coming. I would, however, bring someone else with you who can and will be a credible and willing witness if needed. Ask for any and all paperwork associated with your bike and this whole affair, before things go South (if indeed they do). I, like others have expressed, wish you the best.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Whatever you do keep your cool and document everything, when you show up at dealership have your witness film everything and ask for all copies of any work orders and warranty repairs done or not, also be prepared to take spyder in whatever condition it is in. Have truck and trailer on the standby .

good luck and remain calm

Spyder Garage

Do you have proof of the miles on your Spyder when you dropped it off? Might be a handy thing to have.
    When you go to pick it up, don't go alone, witnesses are always a good idea. If possible a friend with a trailer and a camera.
    In a case like this, prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

john