Spyder Garage

Default Some Spyder Observations

Spyders have been in our family for a little over five years now and I have almost fifty thousand miles riding them so I thought I would post just a few observations on the brand.

- Can Am has found buyers for the product that began as a niche market and the Spyder has grown into something a bit larger than it started but is still along way from a mainstream player. Just as Ducati, Triumph, and Moto Guzzi play on the edge of the market, so does Can Am although with watercraft, snow vehicles and off road stuff it does play in a larger overall market,

- Lack of dealer penetration and expertise is one of the company's major weaknesses but the strong ones are getting better and it appears that the weaker ones are either falling out or at least being identified.

- Being labelled as a product suited to handicapped, novice or less youthful (I steered away from elderly) riders is probably not all that great for image building but the demographics of those groups are pretty strong. As a result Spyders send a mixed signal out to the marketplace. The 2015 offerings look to broaden that market but the initial impression is hard to overcome.

- With a Harley Tri Glide nicely equipped coming in at $36,000 and a Gold Wing off the floor with any of five different trike kits added coming in at $46,000, the Spyder is affordably priced given its features.

- The average motorcycle rider puts about 5-6,000 miles per year on his or her machine. The Spyder is far from average in this regard. Spyders tend to get ridden.... a lot more than the average.

- Cost of maintenance is high but this is a complex machine requiring intensive and expensive training. Would you rather have a tech schooled in Wisconsin or Quebec working on your Spyder or someone from the local trade school who is following a YouTube video?

- Just like it takes a while to get to know a horse before you take off riding, it pays to know your Spyder. I'm continually amazed at questions that come up on this board that are covered in detail in the owner's manual.

- Adding a brake lever on the handlebars does not add a brake for the front wheels on a Spyder. The ISCI hand brake is an excellent product (my wife has one on her Spyder) but it doesn't do what a brake lever does on a regular motorcycle. The factory system is designed to do the braking and it does it extremely well.

- Tire life on a Spyder is excellent when compared to regular motorcycles or sports cars with sticky, soft compound tires. In fact tire life on the front wheels is exceptional.

- Heat is present in every vehicle where the driver is situated on or near the engine that is a heat-generating device. My MGB-GT was one of the most uncomfortable cars I ever drove once the winter ended. They called it the 'Hotbox'. My Harley was always hot to drive and my six cylinder Valkyrie wasn't a real joy to drive on a hot day.
    Heat goes with the territory although some 2013 owners were served a bit too much.

I know that is much more than a couple of cents worth... but Lamont lets you read this stuff for free.
    Last edited by Pennyrick; 03-20-2015 at 08:14 AM.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default Nice review..!!

Five years...wow..!! Looks like you have had a great run. I have a couple going on three and have loved every minute. Doing my own work and making my own parts has saved me from some of your points but your right on...so carry on for many more years...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NICE READ

But I'm going to dis-agree about the high cost of Maintenance thing.........a Yes for the 998 , a No for the 1330 Ace engine spyders....and IMHO I don't see a future for the 998 engine in BRP's line-up.....It just doesn't make any financial sense..............Mike

Spyder Garage

Good write up. It puts a lot of the features of ownership into perspective.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

An MGB-GT

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    An MGB-GT
    Which sadly was possibly the worst sports car ever to be made in England or anywhere else!!
    Dreadful 1725cc engine even with twin SU carbs. Even worse handling! The interior used to resonate
    with the exhaust note.....just UGH!! I used to regularly go to Clubman's races at Brands Hatch and
    I cannot recall ever seeing a B-GT doing anything more exciting than losing the front at Paddock Bend
    due to the chronic understeer!
    The MGC however wasn't too bad! The Rover 3500cc V8 engine was much better than the anaemic 1725 which was designed
    to power late 50s and 60s family sedans.

The best of the MG sports cars were the TF and the 'Frog-eye' Sebring Sprite.
    In fact after the MGA was discontinued and the company had had three lots of new management they never made another
    competitive sports two seater. That particular crown was taken by Triumph and they held it right up to the TR6.
    IMHO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for a very well thought-out assessment of the Spyder!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    Which sadly was possibly the worst sports car ever to be made in England or anywhere else!!
    Dreadful 1725cc engine even with twin SU carbs. Even worse handling! The interior used to resonate
    with the exhaust note.....just UGH!! I used to regularly go to Clubman's races at Brands Hatch and
    I cannot recall ever seeing a B-GT doing anything more exciting than losing the front at Paddock Bend
    due to the chronic understeer!
    The MGC however wasn't too bad! The Rover 3500cc V8 engine was much better than the anaemic 1725 which was designed
    to power late 50s and 60s family sedans.

The best of the MG sports cars were the TF and the 'Frog-eye' Sebring Sprite.
    In fact after the MGA was discontinued and the company had had three lots of new management they never made another
    competitive sports two seater. That particular crown was taken by Triumph and they held it right up to the TR6.
    IMHO

I was infected with the British Sports car disease at age 19 and it took a few years to get cured. Over those years I learned a lot about British engineering (if there is a most difficult way, try to use it), Lucas electrical systems (why do the English like warm beer.... because they own Lucas refrigerators), and then there is the language of accumulators, valances, wings and such.

But it was fun. Here are three of my favoriites among those I have owned.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Wow, thanks for the post. I am really new to Spyders(since Aug. last year) and I like hearing the intelligent observations of someone who's been there an done that. On my second Spyder in 8 months and could not be happier!
    Spyder Junkies, Mike &Lenise

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    But I'm going to dis-agree about the high cost of Maintenance thing.........a Yes for the 998 , a No for the 1330 Ace engine spyders....and IMHO I don't see a future for the 998 engine in BRP's line-up.....It just doesn't make any financial sense..............Mike
    I rather like the 998 engine. I enjoy the high revs. But unfortunately (or maybe not unfortunately), I agree that there is probably no future in them for the Spyder.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    [To Double Trouble:] Good write up. It puts a lot of the features of ownership into perspective.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 998 motor is a dated motor, no doubt and its remaining life is surely limited. However, it has a history of being very durable and over built. It flat out works. Also, the triple will never sound as good as the twin.
    Maintenance costs really aren't that different depending on how you maintain your machine.......

Spyder Garage

Me too - 3 MG -TDs, 4 Austin Healey 3000s, two MGBs, and one MG C (the straight 6 version).

In fairness, the ISCI handbrake does exactly the same job as the foot brake on the Spyder, because it just actuates the footbrake. For those with leg/foot issues, or just the need to use one, the handbrake is terrific.

This is my third Spyder in 6 years of riding them, and all have been fun, in different ways. I concur that the 1330/6 is as big a step up for the Spyder as the speed triple over the twin for Triumph, and that the stability and safety is a draw to new riders.

Neither the price nor milage attracts the commuter set, and the performance misses the crotch rocket set - however, the amenities, capabilities, and performance does attract the touring and trike market. With GWs, K16s, and Ultras running over $30K for comparable amenities and performance, the Spyder is gaining acceptance in that world.

So with my experience - if I were 45 and had the money to spend, what would I buy? A K16. No doubt about it. However, I'm neither 45 nor dead, so the Spyder is by far the best choice for me. Some could argue that some of the trikes are better, but I'll bet they've never been on the MSF Trike Emergency Avoidance track in the Trike & Hack course - that's what put me on the Spyder in the first place.

Next summer (16), I should have my V-rod based Scorpion finished and on the road, and will be able to directly compare them. I can tell you now, though, the lack of reverse, narrower tire, no cruise or radio, will adversely affect the outcome (It will still be a hoot). That's my contribution.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

In April I'll have 5 years on our 2010 RT and I agree with everything you said. I still ride 2 wheelers when I'm solo but, 2-up, the Spyder has been a life saver.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Spyders have been in our family for a little over five years now and I have almost fifty thousand miles riding them so I thought I would post just a few observations on the brand.

- Can Am has found buyers for the product that began as a niche market and the Spyder has grown into something a bit larger than it started but is still along way from a mainstream player. Just as Ducati, Triumph, and Moto Guzzi play on the edge of the market, so does Can Am although with watercraft, snow vehicles and off road stuff it does play in a larger overall market,

- Lack of dealer penetration and expertise is one of the company's major weaknesses but the strong ones are getting better and it appears that the weaker ones are either falling out or at least being identified.

- Being labelled as a product suited to handicapped, novice or less youthful (I steered away from elderly) riders is probably not all that great for image building but the demographics of those groups are pretty strong. As a result Spyders send a mixed signal out to the marketplace. The 2015 offerings look to broaden that market but the initial impression is hard to overcome.

- With a Harley Tri Glide nicely equipped coming in at $36,000 and a Gold Wing off the floor with any of five different trike kits added coming in at $46,000, the Spyder is affordably priced given its features.

- The average motorcycle rider puts about 5-6,000 miles per year on his or her machine. The Spyder is far from average in this regard. Spyders tend to get ridden.... a lot more than the average.

- Cost of maintenance is high but this is a complex machine requiring intensive and expensive training. Would you rather have a tech schooled in Wisconsin or Quebec working on your Spyder or someone from the local trade school who is following a YouTube video?

- Just like it takes a while to get to know a horse before you take off riding, it pays to know your Spyder. I'm continually amazed at questions that come up on this board that are covered in detail in the owner's manual.

- Adding a brake lever on the handlebars does not add a brake for the front wheels on a Spyder. The ISCI hand brake is an excellent product (my wife has one on her Spyder) but it doesn't do what a brake lever does on a regular motorcycle. The factory system is designed to do the braking and it does it extremely well.

- Tire life on a Spyder is excellent when compared to regular motorcycles or sports cars with sticky, soft compound tires. In fact tire life on the front wheels is exceptional.

- Heat is present in every vehicle where the driver is situated on or near the engine that is a heat-generating device. My MGB-GT was one of the most uncomfortable cars I ever drove once the winter ended. They called it the 'Hotbox'. My Harley was always hot to drive and my six cylinder Valkyrie wasn't a real joy to drive on a hot day.
    Heat goes with the territory although some 2013 owners were served a bit too much.

I know that is much more than a couple of cents worth... but Lamont lets you read this stuff for free.
    Well said.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Also, the triple will never sound as good as the twin.
    I actually like the sound of the triple better...

IMO of course.

--
    Posted from my iPhone using the "Tapatalk" app.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    In April I'll have 5 years on our 2010 RT and I agree with everything you said. I still ride 2 wheelers when I'm solo but, 2-up, the Spyder has been a life saver.

Cotton
    Glad to hear from another 2010 RT owner/ryder! I will have 4 years on my 2010 RT this June. I love it; it's been reliable, being ridden nearly daily.
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

But you left out the BRP poor service and parts distribution that left me with a my Spyder for months, the tech did a good job. It was a shifting problem that would have taken days to fix instead, but without availability of parts it took months to repair. Any vehicle is only as good as its availability of service and parts. All the parts came from BRP in Canada.

Mike