Thread: F4 Windshilds

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F4 Windshilds

Just have to give a shoutout to F4 windshields. Just installed the tall and wide on our RT and it is awesome! I love the vent option! Excellent product! It will greatly enhance our touring!

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

Now, if asked, I can say "Doctor approved".. do get asked but didn't know much about them...thanks for the review...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Nice to hear that Doc. Still waiting for mine to arrive.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I got my tall and wide F4 last week and put it on. Now all I need is for the snow to go away and the temperature to go up to around 50 at least.

I'm betting it's a big improvement but will have to wait to verify it.

Spyder Garage

Wish they would have options for RS Spyders.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

Great product, but even better customer service. Highly recomended!

The vent works great.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

My brother has a 2012 RT and he was just telling me he would love to get a shorter windshield, what are the options for that i can direct him too, its pretty warm here and as everyone knows the spyder is an oven in itself so he is looking for some more wind.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Default F-4 WINDSHIELD

This Is for anybody that has the tall and wide F-4, my question Is will the BRP half travel cover still fit OK after Installing the bigger windshield, I'm considering getting one for my RTS-SE5??
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by STELLING MAN View Post
    This Is for anybody that has the tall and wide F-4, my question Is will the BRP half travel cover still fit OK after Installing the bigger windshield, I'm considering getting one for my RTS-SE5??
    i haven't tried either the 1/2 cover or the full cover. I will post when I do. I am betting it will, but probably will have to lower the windshield to compensate for that 3" in height.
    With the taller height, the air now goes over the wifes' head. Before it was hitting her right in the face. Get pretty beat up on the interstate from it!
    As far as different heights, they are a sponsored vendor on here and if you find their logo on the forum page and click on it, it will take you there.
    Curiously enough, I noticed that even though the windshield is 3" taller and 5" wider it had less air resistance than the stock one. I'm told that the vent relieves a lot of that pressure. On the first notch you hardly feel it and on the last one, you get a nice flow right in the face.
    Now time for some Baker Air Wings......

Spyder Garage

Thanks Doc, I'll watch for your next post on this..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Just wondering how easy it would be to clean the vent. (Bug Guts)
    Is it removable?
    I know that it can be purchased without the vent which I would perfer (heat not a big problem up here) but with the increased size I'm thinking the back presure would be a comfort concern...

Could someone post a pic so I can see what the larger windshield looks like on the RT.

Thanks!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default F4 for F3

I keep seeing the great reviews for the F4 brand windshields for the RT and hope they have one developed for the "hotrod" cruiser F3 soon. BRP has kind-of "dropped the ball" so-to-speak by only offering the Blue Ridge model as their tallest, which only works for short people.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    i haven't tried either the 1/2 cover or the full cover. I will post when I do. I am betting it will, but probably will have to lower the windshield to compensate for that 3" in height.
    With the taller height, the air now goes over the wifes' head. Before it was hitting her right in the face. Get pretty beat up on the interstate from it!
    As far as different heights, they are a sponsored vendor on here and if you find their logo on the forum page and click on it, it will take you there.
    Curiously enough, I noticed that even though the windshield is 3" taller and 5" wider it had less air resistance than the stock one. I'm told that the vent relieves a lot of that pressure. On the first notch you hardly feel it and on the last one, you get a nice flow right in the face.
    Now time for some Baker Air Wings......
    Question: Are you looking through the W/S when riding? If it is tall enough for the wife to not feel "burble" it must be way up and you would be looking through it. All the windshields I have ever had (and I have had a lot) you would want to look over and see the pavement about 50-75 feet ahead of you without looking through the W/S.

I have the BRP vented W/S and it is too narrow and the vent needs to be adjusted just so or I get "helmet burble". I am going back to the stock 25" W/S. My Spyder came with it and I would never spend the money for it if I were changing W/S.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Question: Are you looking through the W/S when riding? If it is tall enough for the wife to not feel "burble" it must be way up and you would be looking through it. All the windshields I have ever had (and I have had a lot) you would want to look over and see the pavement about 50-75 feet ahead of you without looking through the W/S.

I have the BRP vented W/S and it is too narrow and the vent needs to be adjusted just so or I get "helmet burble". I am going back to the stock 25" W/S. My Spyder came with it and I would never spend the money for it if I were changing W/S.

Jack
    I am looking right through the windshield, rather than over it. The original one at the highest setting (minus a fraction of an inch to keep it from being too rigid) put the top right in the middle of my sight. This one in the same setting is several inches above so the edge is completely out of my vision field. This is a very good thing. Not sure why you would want to have your windshield down so low you could see over it, but a june bug would not be pretty at freeway speeds. If anyone has ever gotten nailed with one they know what I mean.

I will post a picture of the new windshield in a bit and check the covers while I'm at it.

Spyder Garage

OK, Purple Guy, it looks like the vent only has 2 screws on the outside to remove the vent. Looks pretty straight forward on cleaning. time will tell.

First picture is the new WS. Second picture shows the difference in height. Third picture shows the width. It is right at 2 1/2" wider and 3" taller.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Here is a couple of different shots of our 1/2 cover. WS is in the fully upright position.

Spyder Garage

Here is the full cover. WS is all the way up here also. Last shot I stenciled "ANT" to aid in finding the holes quicker. Works pretty well.

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Travel cover

Thanks Doc for the pictures, although my cover Is the BRP brand, I'm sure they are close to the same size. I'm going to get a F-4 windshield right away, and I want the tall-wide also, I have always looked through all my windshields not over them..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by STELLING MAN View Post
    Thanks Doc for the pictures, although my cover Is the BRP brand, I'm sure they are close to the same size. I'm going to get a F-4 windshield right away, and I want the tall-wide also, I have always looked through all my windshields not over them..
    One thing about a larger surface area I was concerned about was the middle bracket that has a tendency to crack on some. I talked to the gentleman about that problem and he explained that they suggest leaving the vent in the first position to eliminate the vacuum created. One of the reasons I got the vented WS and something to consider before purchasing.
    We do have someone that has made a replacement bracket out of solid aluminum. I will go that route if mines starts to show cracks.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Doc!
    The comparison pics helped a lot!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I prefer to look through the windshield rather than over it to reduce turbulence and gain rain and bug protection. That being said I want to be able to see over it if circumstances require such as taking mud or salt spray that blocks vision through the shield. The ideal then is a windshield that is above eye level in high position and allows one to see over it in lowest position. I think the F4 does that. The proof will come as soon as the next road test.