Thread: 2014/2015 heat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014/2015 heat

I've been reading a lot about the issues the '13s had with heat from the cat. Was this addressed and fixed for 2014 and 2015 or is the cat delete still recommended? Also, anyone on a '14 or '15 notice any heat transfer up to the driver and passenger running dead stock?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is absolutely a non-issue for the 2014 and later RTs...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Midian View Post
    I've been reading a lot about the issues the '13s had with heat from the cat. Was this addressed and fixed for 2014 and 2015 or is the cat delete still recommended? Also, anyone on a '14 or '15 notice any heat transfer up to the driver and passenger running dead stock?

Cat delete did not fix the the 13"s. There were many other problems.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default Not a problem...

they did take care of that but you can still do the cat delete. Pipes are available for this. Some do it for the weight or sound and it will still help with the heat..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

No heat issues with the 2014 - no gas smell - evap canister has been moved
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

No issues with any of my 's concerning heat or gas smells. Am guessing my opinion will not matter much on heat issues though. I saw 80's once here in my area in 14 years. I don't do Fairbanks much in the summer, so miss out on their 100 degree days.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-18-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Regardless of what type or style of spyder or other motorcycle that you ride, you are sitting on top of a motor that generates heat. The 14s and up have really addressed the heat issue and have pretty well nailed it so that there is minimum if any heat issues. But you are still sitting on top of an engine and there has to be some heat.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Regardless of what type or style of spyder or other motorcycle that you ride, you are sitting on top of a motor that generates heat. The 14s and up have really addressed the heat issue and have pretty well nailed it so that there is minimum if any heat issues. But you are still sitting on top of an engine and there has to be some heat.

Cruzr Joe
    Joe,

I get far more heat from the passenger seat than I ever got from the motor, but that's not Can-Ams' fault
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ha! Nice one, Joe!

Thanks everyone! I am no stranger to heat. I have ridden big V-twins most of my life. And now, in this second act of my time on this planet I need to be careful of heat and becoming overheated due to the MS. So I look for work-arounds if heat is present in any situation. On a bike the answer is simple: just go faster! lol I just didn't want to cook at a stoplight. I am better served raw! Thanks again, everyone! This is one of the more polite and informative forums I have ever been on. It's good to see, glad to be here!

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Joe,

I get far more heat from the passenger seat than I ever got from the motor, but that's not Can-Ams' fault

Spyder Garage

My 14 has no heat issues at all, they really did it right this time.

Spyder Garage

Default Cooler ride

I have a base model '14 RT and have no heat problems at all (previously owned an '08 GS with heat problems). One of the biggest advantages of the 2014's/15, is the split front radiator, moved forward from the '13 position, which have a reverse fan. The fan draws air in while moving, but when you are stopped in traffic, the fan reverses and blows the heat away from you. The fans are loud but you stay cooler
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No heat issues with the 2015
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks all! I have to be careful with heat nowadays. I feel much better now!

Spyder Garage

Joe,

You must be married to my wifes twin.

Quote Originally Posted by Midian View Post
    Ha! Nice one, Joe!

Thanks everyone! I am no stranger to heat. I have ridden big V-twins most of my life. And now, in this second act of my time on this planet I need to be careful of heat and becoming overheated due to the MS. So I look for work-arounds if heat is present in any situation. On a bike the answer is simple: just go faster! lol I just didn't want to cook at a stoplight. I am better served raw! Thanks again, everyone! This is one of the more polite and informative forums I have ever been on. It's good to see, glad to be here!
    The 14s and up in the RT series are great.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Yes Body Heat

Joe,

I'm with you there. I sometimes want to drop my heat off at the next stop, and take off. Of course she won't see this post. I don't think !
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'd better check your six...

Last edited by Bob Denman; 03-18-2015 at 01:45 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't

put any candy bars in that little glove box in front of the seat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    put any candy bars in that little glove box in front of the seat.
    Even when you think it is cool enough to not melt your Milk Duds, it is. But you could hear your lunch in the glove box on a hot day if you needed to
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622