Spyder Garage

Default Handlebar Risers for 2013 RS-SM5

Hello, does anyone know where I can get handlebar risers (hopefully 3-inch or more) for my 2013 RS? They changed the handlebar design that year so the earlier riser kits won't fit. Starting in 2013, the handlebars are just stubs at the ends of the center bracket, the throttle cables were replaced by electronic throttle wires, and all wires are encased inside the bracket. This leaves very little slack to install any of the risers for the earlier Spyders. Hopefully someone is making a newer kit, otherwise I will have to do massive rewiring to retrofit an older kit. If a newer kit isn't available, is there another solution to bring the bars up and back a little?

Thanks..Terry
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

Yes
    I just put st handlebars on mine yesterday. Huge difference. They say rts will work also.
    Don, t know if there is enough slack in wires or not. I also have 13 rs with sm5.
    Took me about 3hrs

Spyder Garage

I think the 14 and 15 RS-S bars are higher than 13 and back. I had a chance to compare a 13 RS-S with can am riser and it was about the same as a stock 14. I will check again with a tape next week. I am happy with my bars on my 14. My height is 5 10.5.. Stay tuned..
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Default heli bars

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheSpyderRyder View Post
    Hello, does anyone know where I can get handlebar risers (hopefully 3-inch or more) for my 2013 RS? They changed the handlebar design that year so the earlier riser kits won't fit. Starting in 2013, the handlebars are just stubs at the ends of the center bracket, the throttle cables were replaced by electronic throttle wires, and all wires are encased inside the bracket. This leaves very little slack to install any of the risers for the earlier Spyders. Hopefully someone is making a newer kit, otherwise I will have to do massive rewiring to retrofit an older kit. If a newer kit isn't available, is there another solution to bring the bars up and back a little?

Thanks..Terry
    We have the heli bars put on our 2009 Rs, It makes the handle bars one inch higher and four inches towards the driver.They are made out of one piece machined steel- a quality part!

Spyder Garage

Thanks..Terry
    I have a 2013 RS SM5 and been thinking that the Kewlmetal risers may work if the bar for the 2013 is the same diameter as the bar on the older spyders. Your point on "the throttle cables were replaced by electronic throttle wires, and all wires are encased inside the bracket." makes me wonder if as you say there may not be enough length to put on a 4" extension. I've been in touch with Matt at Kewlmetal and though he is curious about seeing if they'll fit there doesn't seem to be enough interest or opportunity to try. Which I think is because the 2013 design is out there by it's self. I wonder if the wires could be spliced with extensions to make them longer?
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 13janice13 View Post
    We have the heli bars put on our 2009 Rs, It makes the handle bars one inch higher and four inches towards the driver.They are made out of one piece machined steel- a quality part!
    I had those on my 2009 RS also but they won't work on the 2013 because of the change in handlebars design.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks..Terry
    I put 5" Helibar 5" risers on my '09 RS and loved them. Check my website for my Yellow and Black RS. With my Seal Floorboards, Hilibar's and a taller windshield I REALLY did ........

Ride in comfort,
    John
    Sealcreativeconcepts.com

Spyder Garage

Default Handlbar

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Yes
    I just put st handlebars on mine yesterday. Huge difference. They say rts will work also.
    Don, t know if there is enough slack in wires or not. I also have 13 rs with sm5.
    Took me about 3hrs
    what year was the ST? And what all did you have to change to make them work? I get backaches the way my RS is currently set up.
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=TerryTheSpyderRyder;960102]what year was the ST? And what all did you have to change to make them work? I get backaches the way my RS is currently set up.
    Thanks![/QUOTE

It's a 13 rs sm5
    Justhave to trace cables and snip the wire ties.

Hhays posted a good dyi on it.
    Took me about 2.5 hrs
    Have been riding the last couple of days. HUGE DIFFERENCE. WELL WORTH IT

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=bmccaffrey;961110]
    what year was the ST? And what all did you have to change to make them work? I get backaches the way my RS is currently set up.
    Thanks![/QUOTE

It's a 13 rs sm5
    Justhave to trace cables and snip the wire ties.

Hhays posted a good dyi on it.
    Took me about 2.5 hrs
    Have been riding the last couple of days. HUGE DIFFERENCE. WELL WORTH IT
    Who posted a good DIY on it? I can't find Hhays as a member.

Spyder Garage

Go under rs-st handlebar swap in the search. It's hchays.
    Still there i just looked it up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Yes
    Took me about 3hrs
    TheVBasdfghj

The ST bars worked perfectly, took some "doing" but I didn't have to cut anything, just buy ST wire covers for the bars. I don't know why Can-Am changed the bar design for 2013, just made changing the bars a chore..

Spyder Garage

I don't know why Can-Am changed the bar design for 2013, just made changing the bars a chore..
    Probably because people were moaning they couldn't fit RT bars on the RS because the mounting was different:-)