Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How to use "Accessory Mode" on your Spyder RT

Finless Video Tip of the week!

How to use "Accessory Mode" on your Spyder RT.

I had done a old video about this but it was not very clear and still got a lot of questions so I re-shot the video this morning. I hope this is clearer

Accessory mode allows you to run the radio without having all the riding lights on thus running down your battery quickly. I use this a lot while working on the Spyder and can run the radio for HOURS!
    Also I did not show this in the video but if it does run your battery low, it will shut off Accessory Mode automatically and it does this before your battery gets too low to be able start the motor.

Enjoy,
    Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I learned something "new" today. Thank you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting the video. Curious how this was discovered. I didn't read anything about this in the owners manual.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 "Rusty"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dubld View Post
    Thanks for posting the video. Curious how this was discovered. I didn't read anything about this in the owners manual.
    Believe it or not, I discovered it myself early on with my Spyder while messing around with the dash gauges.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Good tips. I must admit, now I'm only the 2nd smartest man in the world.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

great tip and something hard to find. Thanks for the updated video..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I found this under Audio Controls in the owners manual when I read it...I know, first mistake reading the instructions. Similar to what Bob posted. We use it often.

PK

Audio System Power

Follow one of the following steps below to turn the audio system ON:
    – Turn ignition switch to ON
    – Press MODE button for 3 seconds immediately after ignition switch is turned OFF.

Follow one of the following steps below to turn the audio system OFF:
    – Turn ignition switch to OFF
    – If the audio was ON with the ignition switch to OFF, press MODE button for 10 seconds.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for another helpful tip!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Believe it or not, I discovered it myself early on with my Spyder while messing around with the dash gauges.

Bob
    I believe you. You look like you know what you are doing. Thanks again for the helpful tip.

Dan

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 "Rusty"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I found this under Audio Controls in the owners manual when I read it...I know, first mistake reading the instructions. Similar to what Bob posted. We use it often.

PK

Audio System Power

– Press MODE button for 3 seconds immediately after ignition switch is turned OFF.

– If the audio was ON with the ignition switch to OFF, press MODE button for 10 seconds.
    Shame Shame Shame
    Now you broke the code
    Men don't read Maps or instructions
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    Shame Shame Shame
    Now you broke the code
    Men don't read Maps or instructions
    Sorry...

I give Finless huge props for finding it on his own...When we got the Spyder, Wifey wanted music, so I needed to sort out the preselects and had to use the owners manual to do that.

Finless has posted some of the best assets on Spydelovers.

PK

Spyder Garage

Sorry...

I give Finless huge props for finding it on his own...When we got the Spyder, Wifey wanted music, so I needed to sort out the preselects and had to use the owners manual to do that.

Finless has posted some of the best assets on Spydelovers.

PK
    Thank you!
    I appreciate the kudos...
    I absolutely love teaching no matter what it is that I am doing. Good or bad, right or wrong on how I do it, I show what I can.

Thanks!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 03-15-2015 at 06:19 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

PK

Audio System Power

I read this last year but never could get it to work. I think the time needed to hold the mode button may be more than 3 seconds. Either that or I did something else wrong. All I know is I tried it several times with no luck. But it worked today when I tried it.

One caution though! If the parking brake is NOT set, the warning beep does NOT stop after 20 seconds like it usually does. So you cannot leave the parking brake off AND listen to the radio with the key off, unless you want to hear the beep stay on the whole time!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I read this last year but never could get it to work. I think the time needed to hold the mode button may be more than 3 seconds. Either that or I did something else wrong. All I know is I tried it several times with no luck. But it worked today when I tried it.

One caution though! If the parking brake is NOT set, the warning beep does NOT stop after 20 seconds like it usually does. So you cannot leave the parking brake off AND listen to the radio with the key off, unless you want to hear the beep stay on the whole time!

FWIW, I turn off key, and within a few seconds, maybe 10 max but I never timed it, I hit mode and hold it until the display fires up. Then adjust radio as desired.

As for the parking brake, I will need to check this to see if accessory mode still keeps it beeping. Either it does not, or each time I tried the accessory setting the brakes were set.

PK

Spyder Garage

The 2011 RTS SM5 doesn't have this warning. The only warning it gives me is if I try to start rolling when the parking brake is set. I get a beeping letting me know I am letting out the clutch and the brake is still set.

As I recall they added the "not set" warning in 2013?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

The 2011 RTS SM5 doesn't have this warning. The only warning it gives me is if I try to start rolling when the parking brake is set. I get a beeping letting me know I am letting out the clutch and the brake is still set.

As I recall they added the "not set" warning in 2013?

Bob
    Parking brake not set warning is on SE models because they can roll away even in gear. My 2009 SE5 had the same warning.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Parking brake not set warning is on SE models because they can roll away even in gear. My 2009 SE5 had the same warning.
    Good to know! Now stuck in my memory bank

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Finless Video Tip of the week!

How to use "Accessory Mode" on your Spyder RT.

I had done a old video about this but it was not very clear and still got a lot of questions so I re-shot the video this morning. I hope this is clearer

Accessory mode allows you to run the radio without having all the riding lights on thus running down your battery quickly. I use this a lot while working on the Spyder and can run the radio for HOURS!
    Also I did not show this in the video but if it does run your battery low, it will shut off Accessory Mode automatically and it does this before your battery gets too low to be able start the motor.

Enjoy,
    Bob
    Hi Bob;Thank you for all of your informative videos. My Wifes 2010 RTS acc mode won't stay on. As per your instructions, after turning the key off , pressing Mode and getting Limp home , park lights ?(LEDS),fender markers and tail lights go off as they are supposed to do but the fuel and temp guage lights stay on (and radio)-then in 5-10 seconds- I get the Check engine light for 1 second and everything shuts down. What are your thoughts about this ? Thx Jae

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAEN View Post
    Hi Bob;Thank you for all of your informative videos. My Wifes 2010 RTS acc mode won't stay on. As per your instructions, after turning the key off , pressing Mode and getting Limp home , park lights ?(LEDS),fender markers and tail lights go off as they are supposed to do but the fuel and temp guage lights stay on (and radio)-then in 5-10 seconds- I get the Check engine light for 1 second and everything shuts down. What are your thoughts about this ? Thx Jae
    That is odd but I cannot speak for the 2010. Maybe it wont work on a 2010? Someone with a 2010 needs to chime in.

But with that said maybe your battery is not holding voltage well?
    The Spyder will shut off the ACC mode when the battery falls to a certain voltage. This voltage is not low enough to keep you from starting your spyder which is a good thing it does that.

It might be possible your battery while still capable of starting your Spyder and charging, it rapidly drops to that threshold voltage when under load and not running. I just replaced my battery for this reason! My battery still worked e.g. started the spyder, etc but when I would stop say to fill the tank for few minutes leaving the key on, the battery voltage got real low FAST! One time I left the key on for about 5 minutes and almost could not start the Spyder. It barely turned over. Yet again, when recharged by running the motor, if I turned the key off right away I could leave it in the garage for days and it would still start.

So the point is, under load with no motor running a battery that is starting to go just wont deliver the AMPs for very long before draining quickly. I hope that makes a little sense?

If you have not replaced your battery on your 2010 yet, it might be time. My 2011 just got replaced a few weeks ago.

Just a suggestion as to what might be happening? Only way to know if this is the reason is to use a volt meter and see what the voltage is without the motor running. If it is dropping below about 12V with the key on or in ACC mode, you got a battery going on you.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 03-23-2015 at 06:22 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

That is odd but I cannot speak for the 2010. Maybe it wont work on a 2010? Someone with a 2010 needs to chime in.

But with that said maybe your battery is not holding voltage well?
    The Spyder will shut off the ACC mode when the battery falls to a certain voltage. This voltage is not low enough to keep you from starting your spyder which is a good thing it does that.

It might be possible your battery while still capable of starting your Spyder and charging, it rapidly drops to that threshold voltage when under load and not running. I just replaced my battery for this reason! My battery still worked e.g. started the spyder, etc but when I would stop say to fill the tank for few minutes leaving the key on, the battery voltage got real low FAST! One time I left the key on for about 5 minutes and almost could not start the Spyder. It barely turned over. Yet again, when recharged by running the motor, if I turned the key off right away I could leave it in the garage for days and it would still start.

So the point is, under load with no motor running a battery that is starting to go just wont deliver the AMPs for very long before draining quickly. I hope that makes a little sense?

If you have not replaced your battery on your 2010 yet, it might be time. My 2011 just got replaced a few weeks ago.

Just a suggestion as to what might be happening? Only way to know if this is the reason is to use a volt meter and see what the voltage is without the motor running. If it is dropping below about 12V with the key on or in ACC mode, you got a battery going on you.

Bob
    Hi Bob; The battery is 1 yr old and after being on battery tender over night - shows 13 volts. With key ON and computer all booted up and radio ON (5-10 minutes)- voltage dropped slowly to 12.36 volts and held there . Tried Acc Mode trick again with the same results. Key OFF and the battery returned to 12.86 volts. I call the battery GOOD. I started the engine to see the voltage drop during cranking - 10.94 volts. Engine running - charging at 14.1 volts. Key OFF - battery slowly returned to 12.83 volts. Acc Mode is not a priority as I would probably seldom use it. Your video perked my interest - so I had to try ! Any more thoughts ? Thx and keep the videos coming. Jae.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAEN View Post
    Hi Bob; The battery is 1 yr old and after being on battery tender over night - shows 13 volts. With key ON and computer all booted up and radio ON (5-10 minutes)- voltage dropped slowly to 12.36 volts and held there . Tried Acc Mode trick again with the same results. Key OFF and the battery returned to 12.86 volts. I call the battery GOOD. I started the engine to see the voltage drop during cranking - 10.94 volts. Engine running - charging at 14.1 volts. Key OFF - battery slowly returned to 12.83 volts. Acc Mode is not a priority as I would probably seldom use it. Your video perked my interest - so I had to try ! Any more thoughts ? Thx and keep the videos coming. Jae.
    Well I do not know then. Maybe it just doesn't work on the 2010 model software?

Has your Spyder ever been to the dealer an hooked up to BUDs and gotten a software update?

Just to make sure your doing it right. Turn off the key and then quickly press and HOLD mode button. You have to do this before the screen shuts off completely. Keep holding it until the screen comes back on and the radio is playing. On my 2011 shortly after this I get the limp home mode, that clears and then no other messages like check engine.

Other than that, I have no clue..

Again maybe someone else with a 2010 can tell if it theirs works?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

You are the Man, Bob

Thanks again for a great video and find.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks learned something new today about my spyder.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default An Update

I just discovered today a hitch with this way of having the audio stay on after turning the key off. The battery voltage MUST stay at 12.0 or above.

When I tried this today the audio turned off after about 30 seconds. I noticed on my battery monitor the voltage was at 11.9 so I did some checking. With the battery tender connected and the voltage staying at 12.0 the audio stayed on. I disconnected the tender and as soon as the voltage dropped to 11.9 the audio shut off.

Edit: I just noticed that Bob mentioned this above in an easy to miss last sentence!
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 04-18-2015 at 02:54 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

FYI, if you do this on a 2015 RTS/SE6, and the Spyder is in reverse, it will leave the back-up light on.

I'm not sure about other models/years.

You might want to make sure you're in some other gear to save battery drain.

-Fratz