Spyder Garage

Default Need input please

Just replace plugs and wires with the kit from BajaRon. Install was really straight forward and easy but I am a little concerned at the color of the old plugs. In the pic, the left one is the front cylinder. I have an 09 Spyder GS that I bought new and it now has 12K miles. Has Two Brothers dual exhaust, PCV with auto tune. Those were both done the first year I had it. Last year I added the JT air filter kit. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 5PYD3R; 03-14-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5PYD3R View Post
    Just replace plugs and wires with the kit from BajaRon. Install was really straight forward and easy but I am a little concerned at the color of the old plugs. In the pic, the left one is the front cylinder. I have an 09 Spyder GS that I bought new and it now has 12K miles. Has Two Brothers dual exhaust, PCV with auto tune. Those were both done the first year I had it. Last year I added the JT air filter kit. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?
    What pictures?

Spyder Garage

Cant get it to post for some reason. Never had trouble before. Working on it though

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure..!!

but if you have a fuel controler you may have to work with it. If you never checked the plugs after the original installation it may be have been running this way all along. Difference in colors can also be that the front cylinder runs a tad cooler than the rear one due to air flow. Some controlers require additional or their own o2 sensors though I doubt that would change much. Don't use a controler with my pipe and JT cleaner so can't help there. No pictures so can't tell if the difference is significant...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Got it posted. Never had that much trouble before. Had to resize and convert to jpeg.

Spyder Garage

The stock O2 sensor is at the back of the exhaust pipe after the two pipes have been joined. The O2 sensor is reading a combination of both cylinders output and balancing it out without knowing the specifics of each cylinder. So one can run rich and one lean but it looks good to the computer.

Get the dual O2 sensors for your PCV.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Just a simple thing to check.

There are 2 vacuum lines that run to the controllers on the throttle body. They are common sources of failures as they deteriorate and can leak. Usually when this happens you get a bad running engine and possibly no codes. Many replace these rubber lines with silicone lines so they do not deteriorate like the stock rubber ones.

I would at least check these as maybe a small leak is causing one cylinder to run lean.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it was mine; I'd richen the mixture just a little bit...

And this is why I'm an advocate of leaving some things well-enough alone...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Not sure if it's to early to judge but took it for a short ride and pulled the plugs. Now both are white. Checking the vacuum hoses now.

EDIT: vac hoses look great!
    Last edited by 5PYD3R; 03-14-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5PYD3R View Post
    Not sure if it's to early to judge but took it for a short ride and pulled the plugs. Now both are white. Checking the vacuum hoses now.

EDIT: vac hoses look great!
    The plugs that you replaced looks like the throttle bodies may be out of balance(the throttle are not opening at same time) or a bad fuel injector. I would put a good brand fuel injector cleaner(check how much for 6 gallons) in your gas tank. This just maybe dirty throttle bodies(clean with throttle body cleaner and run it for 500 and check the sparks plugs again. But don't let the plugs get to lean. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    The plugs that you replaced looks like the throttle bodies may be out of balance(the throttle are not opening at same time) or a bad fuel injector. I would put a good brand fuel injector cleaner(check how much for 6 gallons) in your gas tank. This just maybe dirty throttle bodies(clean with throttle body cleaner and run it for 500 and check the sparks plugs again. But don't let the plugs get to lean. That's IMHO.

Mike
    Looks to me like they are opening at the same time. I will definitely try the throttle body cleaner/fuel injector cleaner. Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

try unplugging the PCV and drive for awhile then check the plugs..

If they look good again its the PCV

If not then check for intake or exhaust leaks..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Front plug looks very good. Rear plug is pretty rich.
    Its not "great", but safe.

Are these 8's or 9's? How many miles on the plugs?

The single channel auto tune does run rich.

Any pics from the front so the ground electrode isn't in the way?
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 03-15-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Also, take it easy on the thermal paste. A little bit goes a long way. Personally, I only coat the bottom half of the plugs and avoid getting any on the washer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Front plug looks very good. Rear plug is pretty rich.
    Its not "great", but safe.

Are these 8's or 9's? How many miles on the plugs?

The single channel auto tune does run rich.

Any pics from the front so the ground electrode isn't in the way?
    The front plug is the white one. 8 or 9? It's a 2009 if that's what you're saying. Could take a pic of the front.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That white coloring on the ground electrode doesn't mean anything other than showing the plug heat range. Slightly hot but still pretty good. See where the white transitions as it goes around the ground strap? Your ideal position for heat range selection is right on the bend. Yours is a bit further down suggesting a bit hotter but not crazy.

Look at the porcelain for your coloring. Ideally a nice brown/tan haze. Also, more important is looking for a complete ring of dark coloring with some deposits around the round flat edge of the plug just below the threads.

The other plug is pretty rich, dark all over.

Heat range....8's or 9's. Likely 9's if stock plugs.
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 03-25-2015 at 12:03 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a good pic. Again, look at the flat edge of the plug and as far down the porcelain as possible. You want to see some buildup on the flat metal perimeter and brown porcelain.

Even in this pic the plug they have labeled as "lean" isn't far off. Its missing some color/buildup on the flats ring but the porcelain looks good....maybe slight glazing.....
    The plug they have as optimal IMHO looks good on the ring but doesn't have enough time on it to brown up the porcelain.uploadfromtaptalk1427260522434.jpg

Spyder Garage

I will grab a pic of the front. I feel like everybody has a different opinion of what is acceptable and average.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's another good selection...uploadfromtaptalk1427261118139.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

should not be black like the one plug you show.