GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Google map and Garmin 660

Ok, who can tell me a simple way to import a route from Google map to my 660? Have tried saving the route as a .gpx file then import it 660 but that didn't work.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

There is no simple way . . . and may not be any way, simple or difficult. Google Maps did away with that feature. MapQuest still has the feature, though.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yep. Mapquest makes it easy. Seems Google has an aversion to devices other than their own.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    Ok, who can tell me a simple way to import a route from Google map to my 660? Have tried saving the route as a .gpx file then import it 660 but that didn't work.
    Try using Base Camp, it works great.
    Mongo

Spyder Garage

You use TyretoTravel to import the route direct from the google maps page and save it as a Garmin file. Then open and edit it in Garmin Base Camp. Its not perfect as the routes always need editing. In some cases it is easier to build the route in Base Camp after you figured things out using google.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Try using Base Camp, it works great.
    Mongo
    I have tried Base Camp a few times . . . just can't get the hang of it. It doesn't seem particularly user friendly . . . or I have lost my IT skills!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I have tried Base Camp a few times . . . just can't get the hang of it. It doesn't seem particularly user friendly

Not an easy to use product..... mapquest is so much easier.
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    You can do it from Harley ride planner.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    You can do it from Harley ride planner.
    I agree. For me, the ride planner is the easiest to insert and control waypoints. Loading it to the 660 is a piece of cake.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Here's a link that's will give you step by step instructions for using Google Maps (Classic Version).
    I use this and always gets the custom route I want to go!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ogle+maps+tyre

Post #5
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Nothing seems to work now

Not long ago, I was able to create a route in MapQuest and send to my Garmin 660. Now, it appears that MapQuest has removed that capability in the "Send" menu. I've spend more than two hours this afternoon exploring both Classic Google Maps and MapQuest, in Firefox, Safari and Google Chrome browsers (on a Mac) to no avail. I stumbled upon a post doing a Google search that said something to the effect that because most browsers are heading toward plug-in-free environments, even MapQuest has disabled this function. I found an earlier post on these forums pointing to an app named "Tyre", but that is for Windows only (no Mac version available).

Anybody have any resources to where a more full-bodied map generator can be used to create more complicated routes and download them to the Garmin 660? Base Camp is a P.I.T.A. despite gathering the latest US map from the 660. So, it goes without saying, planning anything more than a very simplistic route -- external to the 660 -- looks bleak right now. Any good news out there?

Spyder Garage

I prefer to use the program Tyre to program routes for my GPS. Works great and Garmin is one of the preferred systems for the program. Check it out. TYRE
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Tyre is only for Windows -- no Mac version available. But it sounds good!

Spyder Garage

There is no simple way . . . and may not be any way, simple or difficult. Google Maps did away with that feature. MapQuest still has the feature, though.

Unfortunately Mapquest has also done away with the feature. We just found this out yesterday when trying to download a route. When I searched help..... the claim is they are going to more IOS since more people are using their androids, smart phones, etc. for routes. The only way we could get the route in the Garmin as to hand build it by putting in various way points. Especially true if you are planning a more scenic route than just what you can pull up in Mapquest and Google.

SpyderLady

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by etaoin View Post
    Not long ago, I was able to create a route in MapQuest and send to my Garmin 660. Now, it appears that MapQuest has removed that capability in the "Send" menu. I've spend more than two hours this afternoon exploring both Classic Google Maps and MapQuest, in Firefox, Safari and Google Chrome browsers (on a Mac) to no avail. I stumbled upon a post doing a Google search that said something to the effect that because most browsers are heading toward plug-in-free environments, even MapQuest has disabled this function. I found an earlier post on these forums pointing to an app named "Tyre", but that is for Windows only (no Mac version available).

Anybody have any resources to where a more full-bodied map generator can be used to create more complicated routes and download them to the Garmin 660? Base Camp is a P.I.T.A. despite gathering the latest US map from the 660. So, it goes without saying, planning anything more than a very simplistic route -- external to the 660 -- looks bleak right now. Any good news out there?
    I use Harley Davidson ride planner. It's been the easiest for me to program waypoints to come us with the custom routes I want. It goes right into my 660 with no problem.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

I have tried Base Camp a few times . . . just can't get the hang of it. It doesn't seem particularly user friendly . . . or I have lost my IT skills!
    I had the same experience as you
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There's a plugin called GMap2GPX available here. http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/ Can't attest to how well it works as I only used it once, I think, and I don't remember what the end result was. But the toolbar button is still installed in my FireFox!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Maybe I'm stupid but I gave up trying to get preplanned routes into any Garmin product. I carry a map book- I like the Michelin ones- and I peruse the countryside ahead to pick a town that is on the route I want to travel as my destination. When I get there- repeat process.

I won't travel with GPS alone. I had one break down in downtown no place. The maps give me a good sense of the area, the GPS tells me when to turn. I don't even run audio, just keep an eye on miles to the next turn and enjoy the scenery until the turn comes up.

My way works for me because I don't really like planning. I've been to Alaska and back and all around the USA and never knew in the morning where I would be at night.