Spyder Garage

Default Best Setup for iPod to Sena SMH10 on an RT

I am trying to set up my wife Nancy​'s 2014 RT Limited so that she can listen to her iPod through her Sena SMH10 headset in her helmet. On her RSS, I electrified her tank bag and she just plugged into her iPod. That also seemed to allow the Sena to stay charged longer. The RT does not seem to have any similar tankbag options and connecting the iPod in the topbox and using bluetooth seems cumbersome and expensive for the BRP parts that are needed. In addition I have heard that the volume control on the RT does not control the bluetooth volume. Any suggestions?
    Mike in Southern Oregon

Spyder Garage

For the RT the iPod plugs in the trunk. This cable should have come with your RT.
    Using this allows you to control the music (playlists, song selection, etc) from your RT dash.

Then to hear it in your Sena SMH10 there are two ways.

1) If it is a iPod touch it has Bluetooth. You can bind the iPod directly to your SMH10. Only issue with this approach is you can only bind one headset.

2) Get or make the BRP Bluetooth dongle. What this dongle cable does is hook a Sena SM10 (media streaming device) to your radio. Now anything that would come out of the RT speakers will be heard in the headsets. Radio, iPod, etc. You can bind more than one headset to the SM10.

BRP makes this cable and SM10 combo but it is expensive. The cheaper route is to buy the SM10 unit directly from Motorcycle Dave for about $110.
    Then you make you own cable as I have documented in this post:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...our-own-Dongle!

It is correct that you cannot control volume from the SM10 to the headsets via the handlebar controls. But you do not need to. This is why you have a volume knob on your SMH10 headsets.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    AM I missing something with this link? He doesn't sell anything Bluetooth related?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    AM I missing something with this link? He doesn't sell anything Bluetooth related?

Bob
    No, I was just suggesting he could mount his Ipod on the dash so he could control it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

I sync via Bluetooth my iPhone or iPod to my Sena 20S. I hear the music from my iTunes library perfectly through my helmet speakers that came with the Sena.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by maliamd View Post
    I sync via Bluetooth my iPhone or iPod to my Sena 20S. I hear the music from my iTunes library perfectly through my helmet speakers that came with the Sena.
    That's what I do, put it on shuffle and let it play.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    That's what I do, put it on shuffle and let it play.

Yep I shuffle too!! Shall we dance?