Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRPCare: A Question Concerning the 2013 RT Recall That Every Owner Wants To Know

BRPCare,

First, thanks for the heads up, but now you have us all wondering what the changes will be.

It sure would be beneficial for us to know what to expect, sooner, rather than later.

Spring is approaching, and Spyders will be coming out of garages and winter storage, for those of us in cooler climes. Knowing what is coming could be important for our finances. For example, if new body panels are in planned, someone who intends to have their Spyder painted or wrapped, needs to know what the change will be, so they hold off. It would be a real shame for someone to drop hundreds of dollars on a custom paint job, only to discover their dealer will be stripping the Tupperware off to replace it with new . . . Vendors who make their living doing wraps would benefit from knowing if there will be Tupperware changes, so they stop ordering wraps custom- cut to fit the existing 2013 Tupperware . . .

Surely, BRP can give us a heads up as to what the recall will entail . . .

Thanks, in advance.
    Last edited by Dan McNally; 03-10-2015 at 07:46 AM.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I would Wait

Since they have promised that May is the target, I would think it not too prudent to plane a major body work like painting or wraps. 2 months not long to wait.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default heat

I took mine for a ride when it was 60 degrees and it was still running hot like it does in 90 degree weather.

Spyder Garage

they won't tell you what they are planning, they might not know yet
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default What Changes...

I would think if they are producing the parts, softwhere or what ever else needed and have a (approximate) delivery date, they could let those involved know. On the otherhand if final testing and tweaking is needed things would be different on the final items. The main parts could be mentioned. But still they are getting it done, which is what counts...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default brp

I think they should build it up to what it was intended to be like the 2014's

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    BRPCare,

First, thanks for the heads up, but now you have us all wondering what the changes will be.

It sure would be beneficial for us to know what to expect, sooner, rather than later.

Spring is approaching, and Spyders will be coming out of garages and winter storage, for those of us in cooler climes. Knowing what is coming could be important for our finances. For example, if new body panels are in planned, someone who intends to have their Spyder painted or wrapped, needs to know what the change will be, so they hold off. It would be a real shame for someone to drop hundreds of dollars on a custom paint job, only to discover their dealer will be stripping the Tupperware off to replace it with new . . . Vendors who make their living doing wraps would benefit from knowing if there will be Tupperware changes, so they stop ordering wraps custom- cut to fit the existing 2013 Tupperware . . .

Thanks, in advance.
    When I contacted BRP they told me to contact the dealer. I did talk to Pitbull in Springfield; they did not know what the fix(s) will be. Some our suggesting heat wrap but that is just a bandaide IMHO.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ekfraz View Post
    I think they should build it up to what it was intended to be like the 2014's
    What do you mean?
    Do you think that BRP will swap in the 2014 engine, transmission, cooling, fuel, and charging systems?
    (Sorry; ain't happening...)
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 03-10-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Since they have promised that May is the target, I would think it not too prudent to plane a major body work like painting or wraps. 2 months not long to wait.
    Perhaps not for a rider . . . but what does that do to the income of people who paint or wrap them? Two months of fewer customers can be a real long time . . .

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Spyder Garage

Got my letter yesterday....No new information really; Parts are not yet available and when they are RT's located in hot climates get there's first....

Spyder Garage

I have a feeling it is going to be a long 43 days until May 1.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am heading to Spyderfest the last week of April. I am sure Lamont and all will have the answers by then...
    Jonny
    Last edited by jonnysevel; 03-10-2015 at 03:14 PM.
    Jonny
    2013 Spyder RT Limited
    • TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Light
    • Spyderpops Bumpskid with TricLED LED kit
    • GloRyder Wheel Lights
    • Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    • Corbin Arm Rests
    • TricLED Turn Signals

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

you know I'm just trying to be the voice of reason but all the whining and bitching is not going to get the answer here any faster. Do you not know that they knew what the reaction was going to be when they had to put that out. Everybody getting on every website and saying the samething is not doing anyone any good. we will find out when it is ready and not before. y'all are like a bunch of spoiled children. And yes I also have 2013 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While I understand a lot of what you're saying; let's try to remain patient, and as understanding as possible...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default brp

I wish they would tell us something, for now I just have a Spyder protecting my garage, a very expensive nic/nak.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ekfraz View Post
    I wish they would tell us something, for now I just have a Spyder protecting my garage, a very expensive nic/nak.
    If you're afraid to ride it.....ship it over here to Tucson, and I'll ride it.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

i feel that people with an investment on a bike that cost more than my parents paid for this house i live in, i say let then say and feel what the want to
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Sine I have a 2013 RT, I'd like to know now too, but with me it's a curiosity, rather than a "need to know". I don't know who posted it, but I saw an interesting response to this very question on one of the other forum threads that is running concurrently on the recall issue. It said something like this... "Even if BRP had their plans finalized at this time, it wouldn't be wise for them to announce exactly what the fix is going to be in May. That would just spawn hundreds of complaints on the forums about how whatever they plan will NOT WORK, before the fix even takes place."

Like it or not, you have to admit that's a true statement.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

All I did was ask BRPCare a simple question . . . it was not whining or bitching . . .

Spyder Garage

All I did was ask BRPCare a simple question . . . it was not whining or bitching . . .
    I have Emailed them twice with this question and have gotten no response whatsoever. Not that I really expected one. Their track record in responding to Emails kinda sucks.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Anxious to hear the outcome of this issue... My experience with BRP regarding the few issues with my 13 RTS I thought were handled pretty good... The chronic underlying problem of making a 13 a red headed stepchild of RT's will haunt BRP for quite some time.. The trade in value as well as retail / resale value is on this model is on the low side to say the least. BRP has given this model and their company a black eye over the seemingly Band Aid approach SO FAR to fixing this issue once and for all... My F3 is sitting in a crate at the dealer for over two weeks now and I need to pick it up before April 30th to get the promotion.. I'm not gonna buy anything until I sell mine and I know I'm not alone when I say I'm takin a real ASS beatin on this Spyder �� Here's hoping for the best��
    Last edited by Mike,P; 03-11-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default GOT THIS EMAIL TODAY FROM BRP

Below is a copy of the response from Steve at BRP care to an Email that I sent.

Care, BRP (sent by steven.mansour@brp.com)
    10:55 AM (1 hour ago)

to me

Hi Dwight,

Sorry for the delay in gettting back to you. There's no secrecy - we want to make sure that the components involved in the fix are thoroughly tested and meet all our standards. We want to get it right.

We're still on target for May, but beyond that, I don't have anything else right now. As soon as I get more information, I will share it with the community.

Thanks for getting in touch,

Steve

An answer, yet not really an answer.

"A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

BRPCare,

Thanks, in advance.
    After I dumped my 2013RT Limited for a 2014, but not before (spring 2014), I was told that some machines were apparently having problems with the radiators blocking, swelling and restricting air flow. That made sense to me at the time because I had reported that the thermostat had reacted strangely on my machine. I wonder if this might be about the recall?? My Spyder ran so hot that it burned my leg and made me want to throw up going thru stop and go traffic. I found myself wishing the damned thing would catch fire so that I could get rid of an expensive burden. I was also afraid that it might actually happen when I was on it. BRP and their dealers have let us all down.

Spyder Garage

There is no problem with the radiator or the engine cooling system. The 2013 engines do not overheat and this recall has nothing to do with the engine cooling system other than perhaps the radiator air discharge blowing on the driver's foot.

The recall is for engine compartment getting very hot and causing problems. Two very different things. And it effects ALL 2013s not just a few as its a design defect, not a faulty part.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Your being optimistic that we will hear something on May 1 and not May 31.
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat