Spyder Garage

Default Pros and Cons of trailering Spyders

The wife's back doesn't allow for extended riding so we are thinking of buying a trailer to tow our RTS. Obviously an enclosed trailer would be ideal but some of the factors I should consider are costs, having a vehicle capable of towing, fuel costs, having a clean bike upon arrival and storage. I really like The Ultimate Trailer but they are difficult to find. I'm also considering an Iron Horse as an enclosed trailer based on overall weight and quality. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Greg
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Spyder Garage

We went through the same process as you. The open trailer was easy to move around but the single axel left us stranded by the side of the road once. The enclosed trailer is nice, with storage for riding gear and a place, out of the rain, to change, but it's a dual axel and its heavy. Consequently, we aren't making the short trips like we used to just because of the hassle factor of the heavy trailer.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

The cost of trailering must be considered. If it is too high, then you've spent much and gained little. I have a large and heavy trailer (20' Wells Cargo CycleWagon - 2800# empty) & I get 9 MPG when towing it. I don't tow it that often anymore. It does make for a great storage place, which I use. An open trailer wouldn't help for what my trailer's main purpose is now.
    Last edited by MarkLawson; 03-10-2015 at 02:26 PM.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

We haul 2 RT's in an 18ft Haulmark Low Rise trailer. With the bikes, the weight is a little over 5,000 pounds. Easy to handle and maneuver around.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydermanCT View Post
    The wife's back doesn't allow for extended riding so we are thinking of buying a trailer to tow our RTS. Obviously an enclosed trailer would be ideal but some of the factors I should consider are costs, having a vehicle capable of towing, fuel costs, having a clean bike upon arrival and storage. I really like The Ultimate Trailer but they are difficult to find. I'm also considering an Iron Horse as an enclosed trailer based on overall weight and quality. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Greg
    I tote my 2014 RT Limited on a 5.5' X 10' trailer I got at Northern Tool. Brand is CarryOn also sold by Tractor Supply. Cost was right at $1,000 and no problem driving on the tailgate with the front end of Spyder dragging. Got some cheap chocks at WalMart. Bolted those to the floor. Strap the Spyder down and away we go. Been all over with it and works great.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Would recommend enclosed any day for numerous reasons. Wells
    cargo, Look, and many others out there.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one..!!

many factors to consider and you covered the bulk of them. Weight and price....you have the steel, aluminum, enclosed, coned, open and size. That also covers manuverability and towing capasities as well as how clean your roadster is at the end of the road. If I were trailering I would go light, possibly aluminum coned if within budget. But thats me and actually I would ryde to the ends of the earth but not so for the wife. Solution....she meets me there, planes buses trains and the nice thing is she just texts me " we are staying at.....". Happy hunting...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailering thoughts

The Spyder is waterproof, towing it on an open trailer just means you should hose it down after you arrive wherever. NEVER trailer with a cover, period. If you need to bring everything but the kitchen sink then it's going to cost MONEY, plain and simple. People like Bill Gates etc. don't have to make these choices, everyone else does.................JMHO.....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that Featherlight makes some pretty decent enclosed Vee-nosed ,tandem axles setups.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Stealth 6' x 12' All Aluminum trailer with V-nose empty 1250 lbs. Single Axel with ramp door. Tight fit but it fits with inches to spare. NOT ALL 6' Trailers have a wide enough door for the Spyder. Note the front wheel tie downs. There is no issue with nose clearance on the ramp. Works for me, and no cleanup upon arrival.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When we decided to buy the Spyder, it was a given we would be getting a trailer. There is no way my wife and I can sit on a motorcycle for any length of time, and my back issues were the primary reason to go three wheels, to avoid the risk of not being able to hold up a two wheeler.

I looked at a lot of trailers from Zephyrhills to Ft. Myers, and settled on an Arising 8.5x16, sold by Champion Trailers in Tampa. I liked it because it offered a lot standard that other manufacturers charged extra for.

I will be bringing it to Daytona this week, and make no apologies for using a trailer. I admit I used to scoff a bit when I saw "trailer queens" going down the road, back in my Suzuki days. Two failed back surgeries later, I will look with a bit of envy at those who can sit on their Spyders for days at a time.

I also have an ulterior motive for this size trailer, I intend to slowly make a simple toy hauler out of it. This will permit us to wander around FL and the East Coast and use campgrounds if we wish. There is a lot of DIY info on cargo trailer conversions on the web.
    Last edited by MisterP; 03-10-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Aluma Lite makes an a nice all aluminum trailer and is cheaper than Featherlite and has an aluminum floor vs the wood floor of the Featherlite. An enclosed trailer is very handy for keeping things out of sight and the weather. You can hang your riding gear in it and even sleep in it if needed. I have a 6x12 enclosed single axle and a 7x14 open trailer single axle. I can't tell the difference in mileage towing either one.

Spyder Garage

7712 Aluma open trailer. Tows great. Weighs about 600 lbs empty. Spyder is no dirtier than if you rode it there...soap and water is cheap!
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mobey View Post
    7712 Aluma open trailer. Tows great. Weighs about 600 lbs empty. Spyder is no dirtier than if you rode it there...soap and water is cheap!
    Like the look of this one. I need to find a cheap used one though. when my brother and i take a brothers weekend out in the motorhome would be great to bring the spyders.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

We trailer our RT L in a 7 x 16 enclosed United 2 axle trailer. We use it to get to warm destinations and get a break from Illinois winters. We just returned from Amado , AZ. It is a 1600 mile one way trip. Trailer pulls really good. You just have to use some common sense and remember it's behind you. Poor gas mileage is the trade off for warm winter riding.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Since I retired we go everywhere. Been from Maine to Alaska, the southwest down to Zion, East coast to NC from here in MA.

I have a 7x14x7hi enclosed trailer that tows just fine behind my F350 crew cab dually diesel with a truck camper on the back. WIth the total camper height at 11'2" the trailer hides from the wind back there and my mileage penalty is about .5 mpg for towing.

While we have used the truck and camper all over the country we have not taken the trailer further than Acadia Park about 250 miles away.

I am going to Oregon in June and still hemmng and hawing about whether to trailer the Can Am, or leave it home and just use the truck camper. Much as I wish to have the Can Am with me I dread maneuvering a trailer in gas stations and campgrounds.

If any of you have experience along these lines let me know what you think.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jgwoods View Post
    Since I retired we go everywhere. Been from Maine to Alaska, the southwest down to Zion, East coast to NC from here in MA.

I have a 7x14x7hi enclosed trailer that tows just fine behind my F350 crew cab dually diesel with a truck camper on the back. WIth the total camper height at 11'2" the trailer hides from the wind back there and my mileage penalty is about .5 mpg for towing.

While we have used the truck and camper all over the country we have not taken the trailer further than Acadia Park about 250 miles away.

I am going to Oregon in June and still hemmng and hawing about whether to trailer the Can Am, or leave it home and just use the truck camper. Much as I wish to have the Can Am with me I dread maneuvering a trailer in gas stations and campgrounds.

If any of you have experience along these lines let me know what you think.
    Truck stops have pull through gas pumps, as do many of the newer island stations. Get a campground guide - many have pull through lots, available with a reservation. You can always call ahead a day or two beyond your schedule and check for availability.

If it's backing up the trailer that has you concerned, go to an empty parking lot and practice. You can become proficient with a little time spent.

Spyder Garage

Default Looks good . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mobey View Post
    . . . . How much nose clearance is there for loading and unloading? I can tell that it has enough for you, but I have an F3 and I think the clearance is a little bit less than an RT.

And actually, I think my Spyder would be cleaner than if I rode it. As dusty, yes - but no bugs.

When I purchased my GS, I rented a tilt-flat bed - the whole trip ( 1,100 miles ) was a snap. The tilt loading was perfect! So, if you don't need one all the time, the money works out a lot better. Look for local light construction rental places ( loaders, ditch witches, ect. ) they also rent the trailers that haul their equipment. The big downside is the rental and reservations.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    Like the look of this one. I need to find a cheap used one though. when my brother and i take a brothers weekend out in the motorhome would be great to bring the spyders.
    I use the Aluma 72x10 trailer. Works great. I use two 6' Ramps for the front tires, and the original tailgate for the rear tire. I bolted in 4 eye bolts for tie down points, and cheap chocks so I wouldn't bang the Spyder's nose into the front wall of the siding. The trailer weighs about 460, the ramps about 25, and the Spyder about 1,000. So, all totaled, I am less than the 1,500 pound weight limit--so, I don't need trailer brakes.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . How much nose clearance is there for loading and unloading? I can tell that it has enough for you, but I have an F3 and I think the clearance is a little bit less than an RT.Tom
    As insurance I put a 2x6 on the ground at the edge of the tilt bed. I have at least 2" of clearance doing this. The tilt works slick....just drive on and drive off. The tilt bed raises and lowers slowly as necessary. All aluminum construction is excellent but not cheap.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White