Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Terrible gas mileage

I finally got enough descent weather so I could ride and check my mileage. I only got 16.5mpg. This is my theory, I read in the do's and don't's that you should only shift when you are at 4400rpms. So that is what I do. In 1st at 4400 I'm doing 25 fine for residential. 2nd at 4400 I'm doing 35, 3rd at 4400 I'm at 45. When I first got it and even now, it seems that you should shift into 2nd for the 25 zone and 3rd for 35 etc. The higher the gear ratio the better the gas mileage if you aren't lugging it.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default GAS MILEAGE

Bill, I see that you have an RS Spyder with the 998 engine. Up shifting should be done at around 5500 rpm and when RPM's fall to 4200 then downshift. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but your gas mileage should improve at the higher RPM's. Also, never use 5th gear unless you are at 65 mph or above.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Bill, I see that you have an RS Spyder with the 998 engine. Up shifting should be done at around 5500 rpm and when RPM's fall to 4200 then downshift. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but your gas mileage should improve at the higher RPM's. Also, never use 5th gear unless you are at 65 mph or above.
    Thanks for the info as I picked my RS-S up 3 7 15. Now have 200,000 + GL1800 miles to unlearn.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

I had the 998 RT and was consistently getting low 30's on mileage. Keep the RPM;s up and you will find the v twin will be much happier. With 16 mpg it sounds as though something else is wrong. I pulled a 622 trailer quite often and never dropped below mid twenties running hard.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE MILEAGE THING

....We've chatted but I forgot to ask ......How many miles are on the engine ???,,,,,,,,Until it's well broken in ( 2000 + ) you are not going to get optimum mileage.....also one or two up matters ..........When I first got my 14 RT , coming across the country I was only getting low 30's....Now it's low 40's..................But I also agree 16 MPG sounds terrible , something may not have been set up right at the factory.....I don't think the dealer's have to dial them in ................JMHO.......Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    I had the 998 RT and was consistently getting low 30's on mileage. Keep the RPM;s up and you will find the v twin will be much happier. With 16 mpg it sounds as though something else is wrong. I pulled a 622 trailer quite often and never dropped below mid twenties running hard.

Stan, is that a US gallon or Imperial Gallon? Also do you have pure gas or the Ethanol Crap? I have a hard time getting 25 mpg with the Ethanol stuff. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Looks like..!!

There is more going on with that mpg. Maybe the measuring system is off or your not the only one ryding... don't worry too much till you get a couple of thousand on the odometer. My RS till today can be as low as 25 and as high as 40 and I have over 25,000 miles...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

For your 2011 RSS, the advice about higher shifting rpm's is pretty much on the money. We use 5500 and keep the bike running in that range all the time. Higher of course if going down the highway at 65 or 65+.

Have always got around 30-31 mpg with the 998. We burn the highest octane available. Here it is 90, but there is no ethanol in our gas.

A problem I have noted this time of year, if that first tank is "old" gas, it is going to burn a little "funky" even with stabilizer in it. I would run that out as quickly as possible and fill with "fresh" gas.

A lot of gas stations have a "winter blend" this time of year. That also seems to affect my mileage by a couple mpg, but that changes around late April or so. I try to buy my local gas from stations that do a lot of business (fresh gas).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the input. 7350 miles, 2 up and premium gas w/Ethanol, not old gas. Tires at 17 & 28.

I asked the guy that I bought it from what he got and he said that he never checked it. It was at the dealer for the 6000 oil change. I asked them if they had checked everything and of course they said yes.

I guess worse case take it to them to check it out.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    Thanks for the info as I picked my RS-S up 3 7 15. Now have 200,000 + GL1800 miles to unlearn.
    eventually you will get used to the 998 motor then you will decide to trade for the 1330 and you will need to unlearn again.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    I finally got enough descent weather so I could ride and check my mileage. I only got 16.5mpg. This is my theory, I read in the do's and don't's that you should only shift when you are at 4400rpms. So that is what I do. In 1st at 4400 I'm doing 25 fine for residential. 2nd at 4400 I'm doing 35, 3rd at 4400 I'm at 45. When I first got it and even now, it seems that you should shift into 2nd for the 25 zone and 3rd for 35 etc. The higher the gear ratio the better the gas mileage if you aren't lugging it.

Thanks
    The "do's and do not's" do not tell you to shift at 4400 rpm's. If you re-read, for the 998 engine, you will see it says to shift at a much higher rpm and not to let it run below 4300 rpm's.

Not sure where you got the 4400 from. If the engine is new, mileage will improve after its break-in. However, yours appears to be fairly low.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

What I found is: I shift from first to second at30 M.P.H and 5,000 rpm.
    second to third at 40, then 50, then 60. It seams that all those numbers coincide with 5,000 RPM
    I average low 20's. I just wrapped my tank and I will update after Daytona
    Stefan

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    I have never seen that low of MPG. I average about 39.1 mpg with my 2011 RS-S SE5.

Things that lowers gas mileage:

1. bad gas , clogged gas filter, dirty injectors
    2. under inflated tires or bad tries
    3. bad alignment in the front end and/or rear tire
    4. twisted or bent flame
    5. bad shocks and/or shocks springs
    6. Bad air filter(get a K&N air filter)
    7. Riding two up
    8. bad spark plugs and wires
    9. bad front "A" arm bushings
    10.Engine compartment is to hot
    11.Fuel tank to hot
    12. Drive belt to tight

That all right off the top of my hear. If any body out there knows more please add to the list.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    I have never seen that low of MPG. I average about 39.1 mpg with my 2011 RS-S SE5.

4. twisted or bent flame
    7. Riding two up
    11.Fuel tank to hot
    12. Drive belt to tight

That all right off the top of my hear. If any body out there knows more please add to the list.

Mike
    Thanks, gives me things to check. Only 7400 miles 90% highway miles.

1. Costco gas, new. Wouldn't clogged filter, make it miss or run rough? I'll buy some injector cleaner
    2. Tires right on
    3. It seems to track straight and tire wear is even.
    4. no evidence of a wreck
    5. the ride is smooth, I have the 2 front ones set at stiff.
    6. air filter is easy to replace, but wouldn't it run rough or something?
    7. guilty, but I'm 185, GF 130
    8. Will check the plugs and wires, I'm guessing take to dealer?
    9. Wouldn't that show up in steering/tracking?
    10. Not much experience here, but temp gauge runs at 5-6 bars.
    11. warm on legs but not hot.
    12. Belt tension checked with Cricket11

Thanks again for all of the help.

Spyder Garage

http://pure-gas.org. I get better mpg ethanol free fyi. 30>22 on average.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default My new 14 RS-S MPG

First check 154 mi with 3.766 gal = 40.892193 mpg.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    This info worked! I got just over 40 mpg on first tank check at 154 total miles. 3.766 gal used. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post

4. twisted or bent flame
    7. Riding two up
    11.Fuel tank to hot
    12. Drive belt to tight

Mike
    Thanks, gives me things to check. Only 7400 miles 90% highway miles.

1. Costco gas, new. Wouldn't clogged filter, make it miss or run rough? I'll buy some injector cleaner
    2. Tires right on
    3. It seems to track straight and tire wear is even.
    4. no evidence of a wreck
    5. the ride is smooth, I have the 2 front ones set at stiff.
    6. air filter is easy to replace, but wouldn't it run rough or something?
    7. guilty, but I'm 185, GF 130
    8. Will check the plugs and wires, I'm guessing take to dealer?
    9. Wouldn't that show up in steering/tracking?
    10. Not much experience here, but temp gauge runs at 5-6 bars.
    11. warm on legs but not hot.
    12. Belt tension checked with Cricket11

Thanks again for all of the help.
    Replies to your list:

1 & 6. Gas, run hi octane(100 to 104) it has more cleaners in it. Use STA-Bil Marine 1/2 oz. to five gallons of gas, this will clean the fuel system and get rid of water. If you get oil in you air box the paper in a stock air filter will get oil on it and slow down the air passing through it, the K&N filter uses oil in their filters and will not harm the K&N filter. How much oil do you use in 3,000 miles? The air box is not a sealed unit, there is no gasket between the upper and lower halves of the air box and put from the engine.

2,3,4,5,9. If your tires are not showing signs of abnormal wear it's not likely.

7. My wife and I weight more than that and when we travel with a full load the total weight is to the max(440 lbs.) of riders weight + luggage.

8. I would not do the spark plug & wires to last.(use BajaRon spark plugs and wires, much better than BRPs and a lot cheaper)

10. Temperature gauge on mine is 4 to 5 in the summer and 3 to 5 in the winter.

11. My legs are cool even in the summer.

12. The drive belt is ok if 100 to 150 lbs.

Also went shifting when ridding two up, shift at 5,000 to 5500 rpms.

Using a large amount of oil can lead to poor gas mileage.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeinGA; 03-14-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default YMMV

Just a thought but I've always noticed that the "winter" blend of gasoline gets lousy mileage while the "summer" blend does a lot better. I've noticed it with the but don't ryde much when the winter blend is available and have never tracked it. My Chevy 2006 Aveo mileage dropped from 30mpg to 24mpg and with the 2012 GM Sonic it will drop from 38mpg to 32mpg. My old barber used to postulate that it burns easier in the summer then the winter because of the temperature but I never really bought into that theory. gets around 32 mpg on "summer" blend with road driving and 28mpg or less with city driving.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cybrj View Post
    Just a thought but I've always noticed that the "winter" blend of gasoline gets lousy mileage while the "summer" blend does a lot better. I've noticed it with the but don't ryde much when the winter blend is available and have never tracked it. My Chevy 2006 Aveo mileage dropped from 30mpg to 24mpg and with the 2012 GM Sonic it will drop from 38mpg to 32mpg. My old barber used to postulate that it burns easier in the summer then the winter because of the temperature but I never really bought into that theory. gets around 32 mpg on "summer" blend with road driving and 28mpg or less with city driving.

In my area they use a higher percentage of ethanol in the gas blend - ethanol is maybe about 50% as efficient - and accordingly I experience the same drop off in gas mileage as you do in the winter time. Gas mixture/ what oil to use/politics/religion/environmental - the debate never ends
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Also helpful is (gas cubby) app fyi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Follow up

I'm at Spyderfest and thanks to Cheryl and Laurie we all went on a 4 hour 110 mile run, essentially 25% of my riding. I had replaced the air filter with a K&N and ran 2 cans of Sea Foam thru it. Pleased to report that I got 37.85 mpg riding 2 up. So either riding around in town and working on the bike wasn't a fair test or the new air filter and Sea Foam did their job.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm at Spyderfest and thanks to Cheryl and Laurie we all went on a 4 hour 110 mile run, essentially 25% of my riding. I had replaced the air filter with a K&N and ran 2 cans of Sea Foam thru it. Pleased to report that I got 37.85 mpg riding 2 up. So either riding around in town and working on the bike wasn't a fair test or the new air filter and Sea Foam did their job.
    Great news - I am a big fan of sea foam used in my boat, lawnmower and Spyder when resting over winter to keep gas fresh - works for me.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Sea Foam is a great product, and an easier breathing engine is also a plus, but I sincerely doubt that those changes will more than double your gas mileage.
    To be honest, I'd question your original calculation. You can't really measure your gas mileage on a single tank of gas.

Nevertheless, I'm glad you're now getting a good result.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I am new to Spyder Ryding, but I am also seeing "poor" mileage to date as well (I am only on my third tank of fuel). I have always used K&N air filters in my previous bikes and cars, but i was wondering if you could go into a little more detail about how you "ran 2 cans of Sea Foam thru it". Did you just add it to the gas at fillup or did you put some thru the oil crankcase too (a method i read about from their site)?

I have been using premium fuel and I added some Star Tron (Start Brite) to my last tank of fuel based on what I read on here in a different post to try and counteract the effects of Ethanol, but i was wondering if you (or anyone else for that matter) could enlighten me as to how you are using this product.

Thanks in advance, Corey
    2016 RT-S SS Triple Black