Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Just came back here to thank finless and to say all is well, both tires changed out Friday and we went for an extended ride today. VERY happy with the Yokohama tire. Will take a while to see how it will wear but it simply cannot be any worse than the POS Kenda tires. Nice to have a name brand, Z speed rated, made in USA tire on my bike. Each of them took less than 1oz to balance. Shows good quality control in manufacture.
    JC, I think this tire "IS" the "keeper" and the best car tire replacement right now.

While I wanted the Michelin Hydroedge because I love Michelin tires, they do not make that anymore. The replacement Defender IS NOT a good tire for the Spyder due to it's offset tread.

Anyway, I rode all week to work and hit speeds of up to 80 MPH on Ca. freeways without ANY balancing! FREAKIN WONDERFUL!

So you and I are now some of the few that are using this tire. Let's keep folks up to date on how it goes....

By the way, I AM NOT the person that came up with this alternative tire! It was recommended to me by Spyder Lover User: spyderyderjim
    In this post here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ire-hell-sorry

So I cannot take ANY credit for this tire choice...

spyderyderjim
    THANK you for this wonderful recommendation! Loving it buddy! I hope you see this post as I thank you....

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 03-15-2015 at 07:14 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

What did you find your belt tension was? Did you use a kricket? I'm still trying to get the belt alignment taking correct. Thought I had it right but riding over on the left edge. I need to tweak it a but mite. Finding small adjustments are the key.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    OK folks, I finally put on my Yokohama "S" Drive tire.
    Shot a video on how to do it or at least how I did it.

Hope it helps someone.

Bob

Thank you Bob for your video it really helped with the loose adjusters!

Spyder Garage

JC, I think this tire "IS" the "keeper" and the best car tire replacement right now.

While I wanted the Michelin Hydroedge because I love Michelin tires, they do not make that anymore. The replacement Defender IS NOT a good tire for the Spyder due to it's offset tread.

Anyway, I rode all week to work and hit speeds of up to 80 MPH on Ca. freeways without ANY balancing! FREAKIN WONDERFUL!

So you and I are now some of the few that are using this tire. Let's keep folks up to date on how it goes....

Now I have about 10k miles to find the correct front tires....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by danotech View Post
    What did you find your belt tension was? Did you use a kricket? I'm still trying to get the belt alignment taking correct. Thought I had it right but riding over on the left edge. I need to tweak it a but mite. Finding small adjustments are the key.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    Yes I used the KirKit II to check the tension. It did not change for me and is at about 170 lbs.
    Small alignment adjustments wont change the belt tension enough to see it on the KirKit II. At least I did not.

Remember I have a 2011 RTS and I believe the 13's and up they run it higher to help eliminate belt vibes.

Just a video (not by me) that shows how to adjust. Again make sure your end caps are not loose when you tighten the axle.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bob, thanks for the torque numbers and the encouragement. Sure it will all go back together but if any questions, I'll post.

Cheers, Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up video

Thanks for the video Bob, I can NOT believe my dealer charges $260.00 to do that same thing. Still shaking my head.
    Maybe they're trying to pay for the tire changing machine.
    I opted for a different tire though. I chose a Nitto 205/55/15 and comes with a 45,000 tread wear warranty.

Spyder Garage

Default tire change video

Hi finless,
    great video, thanks for taking the time and effort to do this, a great help for us newbies to the Spyder World. I did not see the size of your tire, probably my oversight. I did note that you didnt like the Michelin with the assymetrical tread pattern, unfortunately I had already bought that tire and will report on the 1330 forum on how it does , that is if it doesnt kill me.
    Andy
    My wife and I circumnavigated the globe on our trimaran sailboat, gone 8 years
    Cushman Eagle, 1954 Corvette, 1964 Corvette with Duntov cam, 1996 Corvette, Chrysler 300 Hemi,
    2003 1800 Gold Wing with Hannigan sidecar
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Spyder Garage

Here is the tire spec

Yokohama S. Drive
    Size isL 205-55-15

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Cserny View Post
    Hi finless,
    great video, thanks for taking the time and effort to do this, a great help for us newbies to the Spyder World. I did not see the size of your tire, probably my oversight. I did note that you didnt like the Michelin with the assymetrical tread pattern, unfortunately I had already bought that tire and will report on the 1330 forum on how it does , that is if it doesnt kill me.
    Andy
    It won't kill you, I have it on for over 9,000 miles.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Discount Tire

I tried to buy a Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50 15 tire from Discount Tire. They said they would not sell it to me because I said it was going on a spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default Yokohama

I am very late responding to the thread but I wanted to thank Bob for the Video and I only wish that the dealer here would charge $260 for a tire change. Here in sunny (today) Alberta it's over $800 and that of course is with the OEM put back on. Somwhere there is a new tire making it's way across the country so I should be on the road within a week.
    RAVENZCLAW
    2011 RT-S SM5 Timeless Black
    Baja Ron Bar
    No Other Farkles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retirednick View Post
    I am very late responding to the thread but I wanted to thank Bob for the Video and I only wish that the dealer here would charge $260 for a tire change. Here in sunny (today) Alberta it's over $800 and that of course is with the OEM put back on. Somwhere there is a new tire making it's way across the country so I should be on the road within a week.
    $800!

That is highway robbery!!!!

So are you going to do it yourself?

If so, try it with modifications others suggested.
    1) When you take the tire to a car place to get the tire on the rim, see if they can do it without removing the hub from the rim (you will still need to pull off the belt pulley). If they can, this will save time! If I was to do it again I would try it. Removing and replacing the hub doubled the time and effort. BUT with that said, taking the hub off does allow you to inspect all your bearings not just the outer ones.

Now should you need bearings, there are many posts about this! So study them. I am glad my bearing were good but if they were not, I was ready to do that job and had ordered this stuff:
    293200094 Seal. Model-RT STD 2 required
    293300124 O-Ring $4.99
    293350067 Ball Bearing $9.99 2 required
    293350065 Double Row Bearing. Model-RT STD $26.99

2) Instead of removing the bottom shock bolt, just jack the rear up higher to be able to get the tire out from under the bumper / mud flap.
    However, I am pretty sure to do it this way you have to turn the belt adjusters to get the belt off. As some have said, mark them and count the turns out you made to loosen the belt adjustment. With that said however, I would still just drop the bottom shock bolt as for me this seemed to work well for me with no issues.

Good luck!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Having a problem

Just ordered the kuhmo- really wanted the yokohama but I could not find anyone dealer or another shop to install it- I was told because it was a 205 not 225 that there would be problems. This bums me out since yoko is my first choice but it sounds like I won't be dissapointed with Kuhmo. I just know with 7500 miles on my '13 St-S I don't want to put on another Kenda( to steal a line from Seinfeld) 'Not that theres anything wrong with that!'. BTW The Service Mgr. said it would be about a 1 1/2 hour job.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mstella101 View Post
    Just ordered the kuhmo- really wanted the yokohama but I could not find anyone dealer or another shop to install it- I was told because it was a 205 not 225 that there would be problems. This bums me out since yoko is my first choice but it sounds like I won't be dissapointed with Kuhmo. I just know with 7500 miles on my '13 St-S I don't want to put on another Kenda( to steal a line from Seinfeld) 'Not that theres anything wrong with that!'. BTW The Service Mgr. said it would be about a 1 1/2 hour job.

To heck with the NOMINAL size numbers. the ACTUAL width of the Yokohama is less than 3/16 of an inch difference and its EXACTLY the same diameter, better dry and wet traction, better speed and load rating and just all around a much better tire. If you dealer really is trying to steer you to the Kuhmo, they don't know or care much about tires. At least the dealers that push the OEM Kenda are just following the company line no matter if it makes sense to the customer or not.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Apology

Sorry, the dealer wasn't steering me - bad pun - in the direction of the Kuhmo, I have to purchase the tire from somewhere else and bring it over to the dealer to have it installed. Again they thought it would be OK to install a different brand as long as it was the same size. They are a new dealer so I understand if they would like to do everything 'by the book'. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, cause I do need a new tire so we in the Midwest can start riding soon.

Spyder Garage

By the way, I AM NOT the person that came up with this alternative tire! It was recommended to me by Spyder Lover User: spyderyderjim
    In this post here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ire-hell-sorry

So I cannot take ANY credit for this tire choice...

spyderyderjim
    THANK you for this wonderful recommendation! Loving it buddy! I hope you see this post as I thank you....

Bob
    I just completed an 1800 mile round trip Bike week ride and S-Drive performed great. I didn't experience hardly any rain so I can't comment on the performance in the rain but on dry pavement it was great. If I can get at least 20K of mileage out this tire I will be very happy.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    I just completed an 1800 mile round trip Bike week ride and S-Drive performed great. I didn't experience hardly any rain so I can't comment on the performance in the rain but on dry pavement it was great. If I can get at least 20K of mileage out this tire I will be very happy.
    Good to hear! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Now that I have some long rides under my belt with this tire.... NO WAY would I use anything else including Khumo.

I personally believe this is the best tire for an RT available right now. It's a high RPM high rated tire and you cannot beat that!

While I don't have any experience with other tires, the more of us that share their experiences with this Yokohama tire, the better educated others are for choices later.
    And that's what sharing is all about!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

OK folks, I finally put on my Yokohama "S" Drive tire.
    Shot a video on how to do it or at least how I did it.

Hope it helps someone.

Bob

Bob just changed another tire. the guy at the tire place said, just remove the sprocket, no need to remove brake disc and hub, his unit grips the wheel from just the left side to dismount and mount the new tire

Spyder Garage

Always enjoy your videos Bob ! Keep then coming.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

I hate to complain but how about a nice coat of nail polish on those toes for the next video.
    Last edited by Bensonoid; 05-21-2015 at 04:14 AM.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire replacement

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    Awesome and full of little tips....Still going to have my dealer do it!!....lol
    Will your dealer put on a Yokohama?? Mine wont..Must be a quote un-qoute "motorcycle" tire or they could face a lawsuit..So im stuck right now deciding weather to just put on Kenda's or find a way to get a Yokohama or Kumho on my bike..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by opiewhan View Post
    Will your dealer put on a Yokohama?? Mine wont..Must be a quote un-qoute "motorcycle" tire or they could face a lawsuit..So im stuck right now deciding weather to just put on Kenda's or find a way to get a Yokohama or Kumho on my bike..
    If you watch the video I say I took the tire off and went to the car tire place. I went to Allen Tire. There were no questions asked. I told them it was for a custom trike but I really did not need to say anything.

Also as people are saying above, you "may" not need to remove the hub as some tire places have equipment that doesn't require removal of the hub.

BUT, with that said I am still glad I did remove it as I wanted to check all the bearings and seals. You cannot do that without removing the hub.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Now that you been running that tire awhile. Please update your thoughts on how it's wearing and riding!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pslawing View Post
    Now that you been running that tire awhile. Please update your thoughts on how it's wearing and riding!
    I have 7K on my Yoko and loving the tire. As Paul said it's great for the weather I have out here.
    Looking at the tread wear it looks like I will get about 14K out of it maybe more.
    I got 12K out of my 2011 Kenda stock tire.
    So for me this is a winner tire. High quality performance tire with excellent ratings. Love how it rides, it's grip on the road, etc.

If you want a tire that will go more miles than say 14K or so, your going to get a harder tire and it is not going to grip as well. Unfortunately this is the trade off.

When this tire is gone I will probably get the Yoko again.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black