Spyder Garage

Default Missing As you runnig down the road

Spyder RT Hesitation Running Down The Road
    I have a Spyder RT SE5 that I just got a month ago and took it in to the dealer for th 12K checkup and they went all over it new plugs, oil change and all that goes with that. It ran better before they worked on it so I took it back and they then replace the rubber hoses and that helped a lot but when you are running down the road at between 62 and 68 mph it has a hesitation that comes and goes but its there the biggest part of the time. If you get above 75 then you don't notice it. Does anyone that this problem or have a answer for my problem. I love the bike but hate the foot heat and this hesitation.

Spyder Garage

what year rt.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Might need new plug wires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    what year rt.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aggiehusky140 View Post
    Spyder RT Hesitation Running Down The Road <snip> new plugs,
    Quote Originally Posted by one2doo View Post
    Might need new plug wires.
    +1 Same thing happened with my Spyder.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

If they just replaced the spark plugs, and not the wires, that is where I would start. In a dark garage with the Tupperware off both sides you may be able to locate arching from wires to some metal component.

It is very common with the stock wires that your Spyder will run worse after changing plugs.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Agree..!!

many times when ermoving the plug caps (they get stuck on tight) the person doing it will pull on the wire damaging them. At slower speeds the arcing will be more noticeable. Like Ron said start there...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Also add my support for the plug wires as a likely cause. The general consensus over here is that the standard plug leads almost always play up after the spark plugs are changed.

Bajaron didn't mention it but he does sell the better quality wires and I'd recommend fitting them anyway even if you didn't have this problem at the moment.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have what appears to be the same problem as you, it runs fine at low speed, no power above 65 mph. My spyder is a 2014 rss, with only 300 miles on it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quick question. If it's the wires, why would it not miss in lower gears? I would imagine if it is going to miss, it would be dependent on rpm and not speed, so you should be able to feel it in every gear and not only in higher gears (higher speeds).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Atv View Post
    Quick question. If it's the wires, why would it not miss in lower gears? I would imagine if it is going to miss, it would be dependent on rpm and not speed, so you should be able to feel it in every gear and not only in higher gears (higher speeds).
    Two possible reasons?

1. Flywheel effect: it may be that it IS missing, but you don't feel it as much because of the higher speed of the engine in relation to vehicle speed.

2. Electrical resistance: if the engine is working less, does that also mean electrical resistance is less, thus allowing sufficient power to cross the plug gaps? If so, it doesn't "miss" until you put more load on the overall system...

Just thinking out loud here... I'm no expert on these matters, nor have I ever played one on TV.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aggiehusky140 View Post
    Spyder RT Hesitation Running Down The Road
    I have a Spyder RT SE5 that I just got a month ago and took it in to the dealer for th 12K checkup and they went all over it new plugs, oil change and all that goes with that. It ran better before they worked on it so I took it back and they then replace the rubber hoses and that helped a lot but when you are running down the road at between 62 and 68 mph it has a hesitation that comes and goes but its there the biggest part of the time. If you get above 75 then you don't notice it. Does anyone that this problem or have a answer for my problem. I love the bike but hate the foot heat and this hesitation.
    Is what your feeling a subtle/slight surge as you cruise down the road at a constant speed/throttle position?

Spyder Garage

Default Miss

I notice the miss more between 62-68 and it after you have run at that speed for afew minutes and some times you don't notice it at all. I'm sure it happens at lower speeds to but it is not as noticable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hard to pinpoint for sure without seeing in person. However, it sounds like a normal lean surge at cruise. Figure at cruise the o2 sensor input tries to put your afr as close to a 14.7 as possible for emissions and fuel economy. The o2 sensor responds like an on/off switch going from rich to lean....back and forth. What your likely feeling is that transition. It can be more noticeable if the purge valve is pulsing too.

This is more noticeable on some machines than others and most riders are unaware.

Spyder Garage

I put bajron plug wires on it an it does run a little better but still has the hesitation when it get hot running in the 60's.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Hard to pinpoint for sure without seeing in person. However, it sounds like a normal lean surge at cruise. Figure at cruise the o2 sensor input tries to put your afr as close to a 14.7 as possible for emissions and fuel economy. The o2 sensor responds like an on/off switch going from rich to lean....back and forth. What your likely feeling is that transition. It can be more noticeable if the purge valve is pulsing too.

This is more noticeable on some machines than others and most riders are unaware.

Spyder Garage

Have you checked the 2 little hoses on the "drivers" side of the bike? I think they are vacuum hoses and are about 3 inches long. They tend to dry out and crack. I can't remember the exact symptoms, but what you are experiencing could be it. There are several threads on those hoses here somewhere with pics. If yours are cracked, replacements are easy. Just get a roll of silicone hose in the proper size and cut as needed.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black