Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Spring Tensioners

Has anyone tried the Spring Tensioners available through Roadster Renovations? If you have what was the difference that you had? Did you use one in each spring or did you use two in each spring.
    One other question, this is the second time that I have posted something, and the original posting has a little green arrow is this something I need to remove, if so how do I do it. Thanks as you can see my knowledge using the computer is very limited, but it is getting better.

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

but we have our sponsor here BajRon making some great spring stifeners. Check with him and his testing crew. Not sure about the arrow have not paid attention to it but you can't do anything about it...

Now that I looked that arrow indicates that you have posted to that thread or started that thread...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have them, and used two on each side. Super easy to install (under 10 minutes start to finish), remove, or move - as needed. I haven't scraped my front tupperware since I installed them.

Baja Ron's will be much prettier, more expensive, and more difficult to install and adjust.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spring tensioner

I have them, they do what they are designed for. I have 2 on each spring and can definitely tell the handling difference. Just to let you know I have the stock sway bar. For the price it ok, appearance quality lacks but I have them for performance and they work great.
    2013 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I have them, and used two on each side. Super easy to install (under 10 minutes start to finish), remove, or move - as needed. I haven't scraped my front tupperware since I installed them.

Baja Ron's will be much prettier, more expensive, and more difficult to install and adjust.

Not sure about the price or install but the Shock Adjusters from BajaRon look like they come from the factory, and are very simple to adjust, i was a beta tester on them so i have some experience with them. I have no experience with the others so i won't comment on them. Dragonrider, have you tried BajaRons, and would you elaborate on why you think they are hard to adjust??

Cruzr Joe

UPDATE: I just viewed the video on the spring stiffeners and can tell you that BajaRons Shock Adjusters are much easier to adjust, not knocking the others, i have not tried them but just watching there video it is easy to see which one is easier to adjust.
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 03-02-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I I am not sure what these are for. Is it to raise the spyder a little? Or the ride

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimnsusie View Post
    I I am not sure what these are for. Is it to raise the spyder a little? Or the ride

It is to make the springs on the shocks tighter so that you will have less play in the front end. That's the best explanation i can give, others may explain it better.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm just waiting for Ron's...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T2ride View Post
    I have them, they do what they are designed for. I have 2 on each spring and can definitely tell the handling difference. Just to let you know I have the stock sway bar. For the price it ok, appearance quality lacks but I have them for performance and they work great.
    I appreciate the feedback of how the stiffeners performed without the sway bar upgrade. I purchased Ron's sway bar first and found it was not enough stiffness on curves and fabricated the spring stiffeners and added them. It is good to know that the stiffeners may be all that is required to correct the saggy front end.
    About the look of the stiffeners. I concentrated more on the quality rather than the look. One suggestion is to place them higher up on the coil so that with the bike down and springs loaded, they aren't even visible.
    From here on in if I have any inquires on the stiffeners I will suggest them first before the sway bar upgrade since that may be all that is needed.

Spyder Garage

I agree with the looks bit, but they are available now.

CJ - Doc's adjusters don't have an adjustment - just on/off, placement, and the number installed. Jack it up twist 'em on, drop it and ride. You get what you get, and they won't break the bank in cost.

Ron's require you remove the shocks, and hassle with the springs, then re-install, and adjust, like the older shocks. MUCH more upscale, expensive, and nicer looking.

So the choice is how much do I want to spend in cash and time to get the job done, and how much fine tuning do I want to do.

Personally, I needed the fix now, had a low cash threshold, and didn't want to spend a half a day installing them. Then I never wanted to touch them again. Finally, I run ATV shock covers on my RT, to assure the dirt and water stay out of them - so the visual impact is zero.

I don't think Ron's will be hard to adjust, I just don't want to - and if two up requires a bit more stiffening, another spacer is easy to add.

Just my view...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

How are the shock covers working?? any downside to them?

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

No issues at all. I started using them on my 2009 RS - put them on my 2010, and now on my 2014. 41,328 miles and the shocks on my 2009 & 2010 looked brand new, when I sold them.

Plus, you can change the color when you want to - white - black -red - camo, whatever rings your bell.

I do make a habit of changing them for new ones every 2nd year. The velcro can loosen, and they can get weathered. $15 or less per year is a cheap farkle.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No issues at all. I started using them on my 2009 RS - put them on my 2010, and now on my 2014. 41,328 miles and the shocks on my 2009 & 2010 looked brand new, when I sold them.

Plus, you can change the color when you want to - white - black -red - camo, whatever rings your bell.

I do make a habit of changing them for new ones every 2nd year. The velcro can loosen, and they can get weathered. $15 or less per year is a cheap farkle.
    Any particular brand of cover you recommend?
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ursamajor35126 View Post
    Any particular brand of cover you recommend?

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

No particular brand - most ATV shocks are the right size. Here's a pic of what I'm using right now..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

No particular brand - most ATV shocks are the right size. Here's a pic of what I'm using right now..
    Hey, those are NICE! Give me a link and I will start including the link with our sales! I been thinking about a push-in cover made of plastic, but why make something this is working cost more? This is a pretty good alternative for those that don't like to expose the stiffeners.

Spyder Garage

Doc - these guys have a ton of different colors available: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181671763926...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Doc,

Here is another option from Amazon

A couple of questions on your spacers, Doc....

1. Will they work fine with either the 2013 or 2014 RT, even though (I think) the shocks are a slightly different size?
    2. Do you get four of them for the price listed on Amazon? The listing is not clear about that.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

These tensioners sound ok but I already put on rons bar and it really made a difference for me.

Spyder Garage

Smile

i used these on my '08 GS and they worked great. Thanks for reminding me to get these for my RT.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Doc,

Here is another option from Amazon

A couple of questions on your spacers, Doc....

1. Will they work fine with either the 2013 or 2014 RT, even though (I think) the shocks are a slightly different size?
    2. Do you get four of them for the price listed on Amazon? The listing is not clear about that.
    I have tested them on a 13 RT and they worked fine. The diameter of the coil is slightly smaller and has an extra coil. I can hunt the thread where we posted that info if you want. Yes, that is 4 complete stiffeners (thanks for pointing the listing out I will change it) That will cover both A and B positions. Most everyone sets theirs on B.

Spyder Garage

Occasionally, you can find a listing for two covers, most come with three (ATVs) - so two sets = 6 yrs of covers... or $52 for 6 yrs...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    It is to make the springs on the shocks tighter so that you will have less play in the front end. That's the best explanation i can give, others may explain it better.

Cruzr Joe
    Ron's adjusters apply equal force to the entire spring. This allows for better soaking up of small irregularities in the road. It also decreases the amount of lean thus making the trike feel more "planted" to the road. The term-being on a rail-applies very well when taking corners at a high rate of speed. A piece from one of my test runs:

"Found out a few things I wanted to know. We have BIG log trucks up this way and I, for one, have not enjoyed meeting them heading in the opposite direction that I am traveling!!! They tend to push everything out of their way with the air they are moving. I met a convoy of 5 of them on Hwy 101 moving at a pretty fair clip and to my surprise---the Spyder flinched ever so slightly but maintained course and speed nicely! Just to prove a point---I met up with another convoy of 3 about 3 miles further down the road and got the same results. OK, another question answered. Another question I was having---how does the Spyder handle in tight high speed corning?? Some history is in order. After first receiving my Spyder and not liking the handling, a quick search on SpyderLovers.com told me to get your sway bar and a laser alignment. That being done, I noticed something I call “snap to attention” coming out of tight turns. That is the point at which you are just starting to exit the apex of a turn and drift back to the outside. With almost no effort the Spyder would straighten the wheels/handlebars and assume an upright posture in an instant. To me, it was a feeling of total control and oneness with the machine! I lost that when all new tires where installed due to the alignment not being set properly. After much fiddling with said alignment, I got it back real close but not perfect. Wednesday’s ride proved that I got far closer than I thought. The “snap to attention” action was back!! The rest of the ride was all about control and stability, both of which were on full display. I traveled over primary and secondary 2 lane roads as well as a 4 lane divided highway. Speeds ranged from 50 to 70 mph. I covered a 200 mile round robin from my house in a little over 3 ½ hours. There was nothing that I could find wrong or objectionable to a setting of 4 turns on the adjusters. They smoothed out every kind of road I was on. They made the ride more comfortable & stable while not being too harsh. It was all miles of smiles!!!"

For reference, I am 6' 7" tall and weigh in at 210#. I feel that the combination of sway bar and spring adjusters is best for my style of riding. Your mileage may vary
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I have tested them on a 13 RT and they worked fine. The diameter of the coil is slightly smaller and has an extra coil. I can hunt the thread where we posted that info if you want. Yes, that is 4 complete stiffeners (thanks for pointing the listing out I will change it) That will cover both A and B positions. Most everyone sets theirs on B.
    Thanks, Doc. That's what I figured. I remember the thread, but didn't remember the outcome. I thought it was easier to just ask you, than look up the thread.

Also, two stiffeners on opposite sides of each spring (Position B) would seem to make the most sense to me, offering the best all-around advantage, without making the springs too stiff. You might sell a few more of these after updating that listing.
    Last edited by robmorg; 03-03-2015 at 12:40 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Bob,

Thanks for re-posting that explanation here. Ton's of useful information about things I was wondering about as well. I'm "only" 6' 3", but a good bit heavier than you , so while the bigger sway bar was a GREAT help to me, my Spyder's front end needs some additional tweaking.

In response to jimnsusie's post above, the sway bar and the spring stiffeners/adjusters, really serve related, but different, purposes. For many folks, both enhancements together will improve the ride more than either used alone. Really depends on your size and riding style.
    Last edited by robmorg; 03-03-2015 at 12:55 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link