Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehole View Post
    Ron's adjusters apply equal force to the entire spring. This allows for better soaking up of small irregularities in the road. It also decreases the amount of lean thus making the trike feel more "planted" to the road. The term-being on a rail-applies very well when taking corners at a high rate of speed. A piece from one of my test runs:

"Found out a few things I wanted to know. We have BIG log trucks up this way and I, for one, have not enjoyed meeting them heading in the opposite direction that I am traveling!!! They tend to push everything out of their way with the air they are moving. I met a convoy of 5 of them on Hwy 101 moving at a pretty fair clip and to my surprise---the Spyder flinched ever so slightly but maintained course and speed nicely! Just to prove a point---I met up with another convoy of 3 about 3 miles further down the road and got the same results. OK, another question answered. Another question I was having---how does the Spyder handle in tight high speed corning?? Some history is in order. After first receiving my Spyder and not liking the handling, a quick search on SpyderLovers.com told me to get your sway bar and a laser alignment. That being done, I noticed something I call “snap to attention” coming out of tight turns. That is the point at which you are just starting to exit the apex of a turn and drift back to the outside. With almost no effort the Spyder would straighten the wheels/handlebars and assume an upright posture in an instant. To me, it was a feeling of total control and oneness with the machine! I lost that when all new tires where installed due to the alignment not being set properly. After much fiddling with said alignment, I got it back real close but not perfect. Wednesday’s ride proved that I got far closer than I thought. The “snap to attention” action was back!! The rest of the ride was all about control and stability, both of which were on full display. I traveled over primary and secondary 2 lane roads as well as a 4 lane divided highway. Speeds ranged from 50 to 70 mph. I covered a 200 mile round robin from my house in a little over 3 ½ hours. There was nothing that I could find wrong or objectionable to a setting of 4 turns on the adjusters. They smoothed out every kind of road I was on. They made the ride more comfortable & stable while not being too harsh. It was all miles of smiles!!!"

For reference, I am 6' 7" tall and weigh in at 210#. I feel that the combination of sway bar and spring adjusters is best for my style of riding. Your mileage may vary
    I have one question that I would like to ask. Not saying that my product is better or worse than Rons. Just want to know what the plan would be in this case. So here goes:
    What happens when someone is 5 States away from home on vacation and they have a problem that needs addressed at a strange dealer that refuses to work on the bike because of the aftermarket parts on it? Not many people will want to carry the tools with them to remove the shocks to uninstall he aftermarket parts so the bike can be worked on. Now this might sound far-fetched for some, but I have read numerous threads where dealers have balked with aftermarket belt tensioners, car tires, etc.. I am not saying this would ever happen, but if it did, who is going to foot the cost to do this? My spring stiffeners can be removed with a small 19mm wrench without even having to jack up the wheel. I made them specifically that way to avoid someone having trouble getting needed repairs. Just pull them off and stow them for when you get home. Then you can re-install. Or even borrow a local garage jack for 10 minutes and you are on your way. Perhaps it would not matter, as I know many people have put new aftermarket Elkas, etc. and haven't had any issues with getting repairs done. But the thought did occur to me when first coming up with these and I did not want to get trapped into that particular corner with a customer stranded somewhere.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I have one question that I would like to ask. Not saying that my product is better or worse than Rons. Just want to know what the plan would be in this case. So here goes:
    What happens when someone is 5 States away from home on vacation and they have a problem that needs addressed at a strange dealer that refuses to work on the bike because of the aftermarket parts on it? Not many people will want to carry the tools with them to remove the shocks to uninstall he aftermarket parts so the bike can be worked on. Now this might sound far-fetched for some, but I have read numerous threads where dealers have balked with aftermarket belt tensioners, car tires, etc.. I am not saying this would ever happen, but if it did, who is going to foot the cost to do this? My spring stiffeners can be removed with a small 19mm wrench without even having to jack up the wheel. I made them specifically that way to avoid someone having trouble getting needed repairs. Just pull them off and stow them for when you get home. Then you can re-install. Or even borrow a local garage jack for 10 minutes and you are on your way. Perhaps it would not matter, as I know many people have put new aftermarket Elkas, etc. and haven't had any issues with getting repairs done. But the thought did occur to me when first coming up with these and I did not want to get trapped into that particular corner with a customer stranded somewhere.

With all the mods i have on my Spyder ............................... they won't even notice some shock adjusters. (Doc, I think that is a reach)

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ANOTHER REASONABLE QUESTION

......Doc I also have a Question out of the 50,000 + Spyders sold so far what percentage do you think are 100 % STOCK........My guess is not more than 25 %( probably less ).............just a thought...................Mike

Spyder Garage

Yeah, you guys are right. Probably never happen....

Spyder Garage

Doc;

Your competitive advantages are:

Super easy to install, move, & remove, and;
    Available now.

Disadvantages are:

limited adjustability (vs a long screw adjuster)
    Not particularly attractive

Personally, I would use shock covers with either option (used them with the Works shocks on my 2010), and I have never had anyone walk up and comment on my shocks/suspension, or other exposed hardware. It's always "does it lean?", "is it comfortable"... etc.

Today, I have Ron's sway bar and your "adjusters" - my RT corners far better than stock, and my lower tupperware no longer scrapes on dodgy roads. The combination is perfect for my RT and my 295# 6'4" old body...

I think it's terrific for us to have farkle choices, especially those that work so well.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Le's make 'em look sharp!

Not trying to hijack the thread, but since some folks don't like the "looks" of our Stiffeners, I got to ask for some help on that. Other than covering them or hiding them higher up on the spring, what are some of the things that could be done to make them better?

I had even thought of little Spider caps to fit over them. Plastic would be pretty easy. Metal could be built on bolts and threaded into the top nut to name a few. Of course anything more we do will raise the price some. I am open to all suggestions.

Spyder Garage

Doc;

Bead polish (just to smooth the surface) and powder coat them. The plain black is good and unobtrusive.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Doc;

Bead polish (just to smooth the surface) and powder coat them. The plain black is good and unobtrusive.
    I'll check it out! Thanks!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default spring stiffeners

I appreciate the feedback of how the stiffeners performed without the sway bar upgrade. I purchased Ron's sway bar first and found it was not enough stiffness on curves and fabricated the spring stiffeners and added them. It is good to know that the stiffeners may be all that is required to correct the saggy front end.
    About the look of the stiffeners. I concentrated more on the quality rather than the look. One suggestion is to place them higher up on the coil so that with the bike down and springs loaded, they aren't even visible.
    From here on in if I have any inquires on the stiffeners I will suggest them first before the sway bar upgrade since that may be all that is needed.
    I purchased my 2014 Spyder RS new a few weeks ago and haven't been able to ride much d/t snow, rain, cold etc. I have only 420 miles on it after having ridden 2 wheelers for several decades. I have struggled as many others have with handling and stability of my Spyder. I'm sure it is getting better and will continue to improve as I log some real miles. I would describe my feeling as one of disassociation with the bike or not feeling as one with it.

I saw your spring stiffeners and thought I would give them a try. Just rode 20 miles after installing the product. I know that's not much time to evaluate them but I noticed so much improvement that I just had to let you know. I rode the wobbliest, curviest road I've been on and can say without doubt that your product made a huge improvement. Thank you so much. FYI: the appearance of them is not an issue with me but the spider idea is a very good one.

Spyder Garage

Glad that they worked well for you! We are now using sand blasting and powder coating to improve the cosmetics of them! I am looking for some rubber spyder "caps" that would fit on the outer nut. That would look pretty cool!

Spyder Garage

Default OMGosh

I appreciate the feedback of how the stiffeners performed without the sway bar upgrade. I purchased Ron's sway bar first and found it was not enough stiffness on curves and fabricated the spring stiffeners and added them. It is good to know that the stiffeners may be all that is required to correct the saggy front end.
    About the look of the stiffeners. I concentrated more on the quality rather than the look. One suggestion is to place them higher up on the coil so that with the bike down and springs loaded, they aren't even visible.
    From here on in if I have any inquires on the stiffeners I will suggest them first before the sway bar upgrade since that may be all that is needed.
    I can't say enough about the Docs spring stiffeners. I had enough time to install 1 on each side While out for a ride I picked up the delivery of the stiffeners, at the post office, went home and installed them. Took about 5 minutes. Thought I would try 1 first and see how much difference they made. So I have a 2014 RTL all stock. OH my Gosh. A world of difference. I was getting the front end dipping just letting off the gas without them. None now and even when putting on the brakes the dipping is greatly decreased, not to mention the sway when turning, so much improvement I,m beside myself. My wife gripped because I was cornering to fast. The last test, I hit the interstate and pulled on right behind an 18 wheeler. Wow no wind buffering. More on me than what I felt on the bike. So I slow down and wait for an 18 wheeler to pass me. Again smooth sailing, no sway nor swerve. Again more wind effect on me than the spyder. Just 1 on each side. I guess next I'll have to try putting on 2, but for now, I'm better than good with the improvement. Thanks Doc.
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!