Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Cat bypass question...

While I understand the benefit of the bypass, I am concerned about the law. I understood that removal of a catalytic converter from a car or light truck was a $10,000 fine levied by the EPA. Are motorcycles exempt? Hopefully yes. I posted this separately as not to hijack another thread. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

No, they aren't exempt. This article is from 2003, in 2010 new rules were phased in that make it even more restrictive. http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/roadbike/420f03045.pdf.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Clifford, Thanks for the info. This gives what I was concerned about and that will have me looking at 2014 models instead of 2013.

Spyder Garage

Default Cat bypass

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    While I understand the benefit of the bypass, I am concerned about the law. I understood that removal of a catalytic converter from a car or light truck was a $10,000 fine levied by the EPA. Are motorcycles exempt? Hopefully yes. I posted this separately as not to hijack another thread. Thanks.
    There are no states that I know of that have emission requirements for Motorcycles, BRP put the cat on spyders only to satisfy federal noise requirements which no one tests for.
    Loving the RYDE

Spyder Garage

BRP calls it "Primary Muffler" so technically it is NOT a catalytic converter. It is simply, as stated above, an add on from factory to reduce the acoustics.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

OK, that makes sense on one hand, but why go to that extreme for extra noise suppression? I used to live in MD which has an overly oppressive government, TN not so much.
    Sounds like it is safe to go ahead with the bypass. Thanks from the other side of TN.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bzbaeren View Post
    There are no states that I know of that have emission requirements for Motorcycles, BRP put the cat on spyders only to satisfy federal noise requirements which no one tests for.
    You might want to acquaint yourself with California. Motorcycle manufacturers put on catalytic converters to satisfy federal requirements under the Clean Air Act, which have gotten more stringent over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    BRP calls it "Primary Muffler" so technically it is NOT a catalytic converter. It is simply, as stated above, an add on from factory to reduce the acoustics.
    A catalytic converter is a catalytic converter however it is labelled. And the main purpose of a catalytic converter is not noise abatement but the elimination of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides from emissions.

The facts of the matter are that elimination, or any tampering with the emissions systems, are a violation of federal regulations that CAN be prosecuted. As others have pointed out it doesn't seem as if the feds or states are pushing the matter very much. Some manufacturers have been fined. So it is possible that an individual eliminating their cat will never face any problems. But telling people that they will never face prosecution is irresponsible.

It is against the law to exceed the speed limit, but thousands, if not millions do it every day and don't get caught. Doesn't change the law and that fact can't be used as an excuse in a court of law. Know what the law is, and if you are willing to face the possible consequences go right ahead, whether it be speeding or deleting your cat.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Cliff, that was my original take based on reading the EPA Regs that you sent the link to. Thanks for everyones' input. I'll wait until I purchase the Spyder and see what it is like.

Spyder Garage

Well, I love my bypass, have to catch me first.......zzzzzzzzzzzooooommmmmm

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad