Spyder Garage

Default Hmmmmmm! Great News Regarding the Reversed Tire

The shop that installed the tire backwards has offered to replace the rear tire for free! That is how reputable Spyder Folks are!!! I declined the offer as we all are capable of making mistakes. Thanks my Friend!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

are they going to put it on the right way
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Did you put any miles on that tire? If you did have them replace tire, it is not good to run a radial tire one way and then turn it around and run the
    other way

Spyder Garage

Default Great news..!!

glad to see them set up. Whatever you decide to do hang on to them. Good shops are rare...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Unless they would rather not be named (which I can see), I think they deserve a shout-out for handling this well.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If your a "dry weather" rider it wont hurt a thing to leave it that way. However I would not turn it around.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbo View Post
    The shop that installed the tire backwards has offered to replace the rear tire for free! That is how reputable Spyder Folks are!!! I declined the offer as we all are capable of making mistakes. Thanks my Friend!!!
    Glad to hear that the dealer stepped up. I would recommend having the new tire installed. Reasons have been posted above.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Silvervette05 View Post
    Did you put any miles on that tire? If you did have them replace tire, it is not good to run a radial tire one way and then turn it around and run the
    other way
    Been doing that for years. Never had a problem.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Silvervette05 View Post
    other way
    In case you missed it in his other thread about this, the dealer who installed the tire is 6 hours away. Pretty strong incentive to just be grateful for the offer and then let it go.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbo View Post
    I don't remember from the other thread but do you have any idea how many miles are on the tire? If not very many I would just have a local tire shop, or bike shop, take it off and reverse it. Even if they charge you $20 that's a lot cheaper than a six hour trip to have the dealer change it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Hi Silvervette05,

Re: it is not good to run a radial tire one way and then turn it around and run the other way

I have always been of this opinion but last year I had a discussion about this very subject with the guys at Tire Rack. They told me that newer radials can be reversed.

Just sayin,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default written

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Silvervette05,

Re: it is not good to run a radial tire one way and then turn it around and run the other way

I have always been of this opinion but last year I had a discussion about this very subject with the guys at Tire Rack. They told me that newer radials can be reversed.

Just sayin,

Jerry Baumchen
    Jerry;
    have the TIRE RACK guys put that in written form, and post it for all of us 2 c.... i've never heard of this b4...
    Dan P

Spyder Garage

By law we have to have snow tires on our cars in the winter. A lot of people have their summer tires removed from the rims & the snow ones put on. The Reverse in the summer(most buy 4 separate rims though).

I have never seen the tire guys mark the rotation & the car tires don't have it molded on them. I also used to think you couldn't reverse a radial tire but have read that these days you can.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Most tires are marked with a rotation direction arrow. Mostly due to water shedding installing backwards will cause water to be drawn in not pushed out and may increase hydroplaning.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Car tires are somewhat different. They are not normally unidirectional. Motorcycle tires are unidirectional for more than one reason. Tread wear is one. But water shedding is most important. They are designed to push water in one direction to prevent hydroplaning. Mounting them "backwards" will push water the wrong way increasing the chance of hydroplaning. There is also the possibility of belt separation. At the least, it won't run right if it's reversed because of tread wear.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Car tires are somewhat different. They are not normally unidirectional. Motorcycle tires are unidirectional for more than one reason. Tread wear is one. But water shedding is most important. They are designed to push water in one direction to prevent hydroplaning. Mounting them "backwards" will push water the wrong way increasing the chance of hydroplaning. There is also the possibility of belt separation. At the least, it won't run right if it's reversed because of tread wear.
    Most ( I think all actually) of my car tires are unidirectional. They are High performance tires. You can tell by looking at the sidewall for rotation arrow or the tread. If it has a "V" shaped tread it is unidirectional. Even if it isn't V shaped it may still be. here is an example of a unidirectional tire that may not look like one

This one is obvious and you can see how the V should be oriented this would be a right side tire on a car and that is how it should be oriented on the rear of a Spyder. Looking at the Spyder from the rear the "V" should be pointed up.

Last edited by Magdave; 02-27-2015 at 11:44 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Way I understand it is if it has an arrow on it, it is there for a reason to roll that way. When rotating those type tires, they should go front to back to back, not crossed. I would think that due to hydroplaning, tire wear, and especially starting it one direction then switching it, I wouldn't do it. I'll bet the radials designed to roll either way have no direction arrow.

Here is a link that I found:
    http://www.barrystiretech.com/direct...icaltires.html