Thread: Why $500.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Why $500.

Today, on Facebook I was asked why Floorboards cost so much. This is a great question and I answered why Seal Floorboards cost what they do. I am certainly not the most expensive Spyder floorboards on this site (just the first and best), but I answered the best I could for my company:

I understand your question. In order to make a set of Seal Floorboards I need to have one company buy and cut the steel. Another to bend it. Another to Powder Coat it. Another to die cut the vinyl Diamond plate cover. My company to assemble, packa
    ge and ship. I can't buy just one set at a time, I have to have 40 or 50 sets made for these other companies to make a profit. Nothing is as easy as it looks. Hope this helps. Believe me, all that money doesn't end up in my pocket. I get what's left over after everyone else is fed.

Spyder Garage

Based on the quality of your floorboards, I felt both sets that I have are worth every $ I paid. The quality and function are worth what you charge.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I only bought one set of "The Pup" Seal Floorboards but they went from one Spyder to another and served me well. I felt i got my moneys worth out of them.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default What about F3

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    Today, on Facebook I was asked why Floorboards cost so much. This is a great question and I answered why Seal Floorboards cost what they do. I am certainly not the most expensive Spyder floorboards on this site (just the first and best), but I answered the best I could for my company:

I understand your question. In order to make a set of Seal Floorboards I need to have one company buy and cut the steel. Another to bend it. Another to Powder Coat it. Another to die cut the vinyl Diamond plate cover. My company to assemble, packa
    ge and ship. I can't buy just one set at a time, I have to have 40 or 50 sets made for these other companies to make a profit. Nothing is as easy as it looks. Hope this helps. Believe me, all that money doesn't end up in my pocket. I get what's left over after everyone else
    Pare you planning to have one for F3?

F3S - 2015 magnesium (BR windshield, heated grip, USB, extra 12 V, Zumo 590), backrest, saddlebags, floorboards. Laser alignment.
    ST Limited 2014
    Bajaron Sway-bar
    laser alignmet

Spyder Garage

Default WHY?

I'LL TELL YA WHY....I'M JUST FINISHING UP BUILDING 'FLOOR BORDZ' FOR MY NEW F3-S... AND I'M HERE TO TELL YOU, HAD I HAD TO HAVE THESE BUILT MY A MANUFACTURING SUPPLIER, I WOULD EXPECT TO PAY $400 - $500 FOR THEM...
    HOWEVER, AT MOST, THESE COST ME LESS THAN $50... ONLY BECAUSE I HAVE THE ABILITIES TO DO EVERY ONE OF THE REQUIRED PROCESSES THAT IT TAKES TO BUILT SUCH AN ITEM...
    LET ME BRING YOU UP TO DATE ON HOW MINE ARE BUILT;
    1. PLYWOOD
    2. WELDING
    3. FIBER GLASS, and support items: resin, etc
    4. 1" X 1/4" STEEL
    5. BLOTS & NUTS
    6. PAINT
    7. POWER COATING
    8. ENGINEERING
    9. ABOUT 30 HRS. LABOR
    10. ALL THE ETC YOU CAN IMAGINE......
    IF I WERE TO GET INTO PRODUCTION, AS THE BIG GUYS DO, TOOLING COST ALONE IS ASTRONOMICALLY EXPENSIVE, THEY ADDVERTISING, SHIPPING/HANDLING, AND ALL THOSE ETC.... AIN'T CHEAP TO PRODUCE THINGS LIKE THIS... AT $500, I'LL BET HE'S ONLY MAKING BETWEEN $50 & $75 PER SET... AND HE'S TAKING ALL THE RISK TO SUPPLY US WITH A GOOD PRODUCT...

TOMORROW I WILL MOUNT THEM AND PROVIDE ADDITIONAL PICTURES... (if i can get to the hardware store to buy some fasterners, it's snowing like heck out there right now....)
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    I'LL TELL YA WHY....I'M JUST FINISHING UP BUILDING 'FLOOR BORDZ' FOR MY NEW F3-S... AND I'M HERE TO TELL YOU, HAD I HAD TO HAVE THESE BUILT MY A MANUFACTURING SUPPLIER, I WOULD EXPECT TO PAY $400 - $500 FOR THEM...
    HOWEVER, AT MOST, THESE COST ME LESS THAN $50... ONLY BECAUSE I HAVE THE ABILITIES TO DO EVERY ONE OF THE REQUIRED PROCESSES THAT IT TAKES TO BUILT SUCH AN ITEM...
    LET ME BRING YOU UP TO DATE ON HOW MINE ARE BUILT;
    1. PLYWOOD
    2. WELDING
    3. FIBER GLASS, and support items: resin, etc
    4. 1" X 1/4" STEEL
    5. BLOTS & NUTS
    6. PAINT
    7. POWER COATING
    8. ENGINEERING
    9. ABOUT 30 HRS. LABOR
    10. ALL THE ETC YOU CAN IMAGINE......
    IF I WERE TO GET INTO PRODUCTION, AS THE BIG GUYS DO, TOOLING COST ALONE IS ASTRONOMICALLY EXPENSIVE, THEY ADDVERTISING, SHIPPING/HANDLING, AND ALL THOSE ETC.... AIN'T CHEAP TO PRODUCE THINGS LIKE THIS... AT $500, I'LL BET HE'S ONLY MAKING BETWEEN $50 & $75 PER SET... AND HE'S TAKING ALL THE RISK TO SUPPLY US WITH A GOOD PRODUCT...

TOMORROW I WILL MOUNT THEM AND PROVIDE ADDITIONAL PICTURES... (if i can get to the hardware store to buy some fasterners, it's snowing like heck out there right now....)
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R
    What can I say, yours are a thing of beauty and a joy to behold.

your fan,
    John
    sealcreativeconcepts.com

Spyder Garage

As are yours John - I have put them on both of my RTs, and the comfort provided is worth every dime.

This is one of those things where someone else has done the development work and I paid a fair price for that, as I don't have the time or interest in doing it myself.

Thanks John.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post

5. BLOTS & NUTS

SPYD3R
    Spyd3r one thing that I imagine is that those Blots are pretty rare and expensive.

Now for any of you that don't get the value of this Forum, pay attention, Spyd3r can do a joint venture with John (Seal Floorboards) since he has done all of the R&D for the F3 and John has the connections for manufacturing.

That's capitalism at its finest.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Another one of my Facebook readers posted:

Barbara,I can understand where you are coming from however, the cost is in my opinion a result of quality you get what you pay for and also the machinery that makes the products also are expensive. I have researched and seen other product out there that are cheaper but I am saving for these.

My kind of guy. Ya don't spend all that money on you Spyder just to put inferior After Market enhancements on it.

Ride in comfort,
    John
    Sealcreativeconcepts.com

Spyder Garage

Default AS PROMISED

LOOK HERE FOR THE FINAL ASSEMBLY PIX.....
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...F3-S-FARKLIZED
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R