Thread: iON 1025 Camera

Spyder Garage

Default iON 1025 Camera

OK, a different question. I have never owned or even used a "sports camera". I have an opportunity to get this camera at about 50% (or more) off. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for in a camera to be mounted on my Spyder? Thanks in advance.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

I'd say the big thing is, does it have a remote, for ease of operation? Then comes ease of mounting, and field of vision. I think most of these type of cameras are HD.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidTNDawg View Post
    OK, a different question. I have never owned or even used a "sports camera". I have an opportunity to get this camera at about 50% (or more) off. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for in a camera to be mounted on my Spyder? Thanks in advance.
    Kinda depends on what you want it to do and how sophisticated you want it to be. A couple of months ago I bought a couple of Garmin Virb cameras ( not the Elites) for about $100 each because they are being discontinued. I was looking for an on board screen/view finder that wasn't back lit (think power consumption), good battery life, variety of shooting modes, durability, stable mounting system with lots of options, and easy to use controls even with gloves on. I would suggest using Google to pull up a comparison review of different models, just to familiarize yourself with what's out there in terms of options. Then you can better decide what you want and need from an action camera.

P.S....checked the specs of the camera you're looking at and it looks pretty solid (no image stabilization though), especially at a 50% or so discount. Don't forget to factor in the cost of any mounts that you will want, depending on what's in the box. I don't have any personal experience with Ion products but I think they generally land on the positive side in terms of user reviews.
    Last edited by MEP; 02-26-2015 at 06:31 PM.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the replies

I tried to find a direct comparison of the 1025 with a Go Pro, but I was unable to do so. The camera pack had not been opened until today. it has several different mounts. I did not find a remote and that seemed a problem to me. Should the lack of a remote be a deal breaker?

More responses are welcome. Thanks again.
    Doug Barnes

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

there are many types of action cameras out there. the bigger question is how are you going to edit the video you shot? without user friendly software I don't care how much or how little you paid for your new camera, if you cannot edit the video easily then you've wasted your money.

always check on the use of software and if your PC has enough power and HD to edit with.

I have found the GoPro software fairly easy to use

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I tried to find a direct comparison of the 1025 with a Go Pro, but I was unable to do so. The camera pack had not been opened until today. it has several different mounts. I did not find a remote and that seemed a problem to me. Should the lack of a remote be a deal breaker?

It may not be a deal breaker for you, but as a GoPro user with a remote, I cannot fathom worrying about starting/pausing/stopping the camera without just grabbing my lanyard around my neck. It is not a requisite...but it sure is a heck of a lot more convenient. Often times i see our line of Spyders approaching a nice set of switchbacks and I can grab my remote ad stat the camera without a 2nd thought. I have forgotten my remote at home and had to start/stop manually and it is a pain it the Glutius Maximus to say the least. I popped for the LCD screen for the camera as well, and would recommend that if the 1025 has an option for one. I'd make sure it's HD 1080P and has variable FPS (Frame Per Second) settings. Otherwise, the rest is pretty much a matter of preference. There are plenty of universal mounts, so play with various mounting positions on your ryde until you find an obstruction-free location with little vibration from the Spyder. I'd also tether the camera to prevent losing it due to mount failure

Spyder Garage

I tried to find a direct comparison of the 1025 witcylindrical ro, but I was unable to do so. The camera pack had not been opened until today. it has several different mounts. I did not find a remote and that seemed a problem to me. Should the lack of a remote be a deal breaker?

Go Pro is a very good product, no doubt, but personally I like the form factor (cylindrical ) of the one you're looking at versus the box shape (and case) of the Go Pro. I also like the controls, as far as I could tell from the pictures, of the Ion. For me, the lack of a wifi remote is immaterial because I wouldn't use it anyway for my purposes. Just give some thought to what you want the camera to do and how you want to use it in making your decision. Some folks like and will use all of the bells and whistles and others won't.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ????

Just how much money $$$ are you talking about ????
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    It may not be a deal breaker for you, but as a GoPro user with a remote, I cannot fathom worrying about starting/pausing/stopping the camera without just grabbing my lanyard around my neck.
    I have the original gopro HD, and I was going to purchase the wired remote, which allows start and stop with the push of a button; but, I didn't feel it was worth the $99. And, I didn't want to do the wifi route because I don't have a smart phone. So, I set up my gopro for the one button mode.

However, I find the gopro LCD backpac very useful, and wouldn't be without it.
    Last edited by wyliec; 02-26-2015 at 07:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks again

Just how much money $$$ are you talking about ????
    Less than $150 plus it has some mounts not included with the original pkg. Best Buy sells the Camera pack for $299 not including the extras.

I'd make sure it's HD 1080P and has variable FPS (Frame Per Second) settings.
    Per the literature, it has both of these.

the bigger question is how are you going to edit the video you shot?
    A very good friend has some professional software he says can edit anything. Can it? I do not really know.
    I do know my PC has tons of fire power. This will not be a problem.

Thanks again. And I hope I have not missed anything
    Doug Barnes

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I have the original gopro HD, and I was going to purchase the wired remote, which allows start and stop with the push of a button; but, I didn't feel it was worth the $99. And, I didn't want to do the wifi route because I don't have a smart phone. So, I set up my gopro for the one button mode.

However, I find the gopro LCD backpac very useful, and wouldn't be without it.
    I agree with the LCD screen comment for the GoPro...invaluable. Should you decide to get a smartphone, there are apps that let you control the GPro with you cell...including seeing what you are filming, which is very nice on a large 5.5 inch smartphone screen.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    I agree with the LCD screen comment for the GoPro...invaluable. Should you decide to get a smartphone, there are apps that let you control the GPro with you cell...including seeing what you are filming, which is very nice on a large 5.5 inch smartphone screen.
    That's what I did, Tony.....I thought that the Go-Pro remote was overpriced and neither intuitive or easy to use as the screen is way too
    small for my old eyes to read comfortably. I bought a CTC 5.0" screen smart-phone £25 cheaper than the GP Remote, downloaded and installed
    the free GP software and the phone is great as a monitor and remote....it is also much easier to control the functions of the camera!
    The Go-Pro 3 Black also makes a great security camera when on a tripod through the window!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CTC-5-0-QH...3D271738736966