Thread: Ride On ?

Spyder Garage

Default Ride On ?

Has anyone every use this product to balance your tire? If so what were the results?
    Thanks,
    Mongo

Spyder Garage

Default Ride on

I have been using it for almost 2 years no issues, if I am shut down for a couple weeks it sometimes take about 5 miles to redistribute and smooth out but no problem
    Loving the RYDE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Used it but don't any more. Had it in my RT622 tires and got a flat tire anyway. Now I carry a patch kit and small compressor.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WOW

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Used it but don't any more. Had it in my RT622 tires and got a flat tire anyway. Now I carry a patch kit and small compressor.
    Well this is interesting, I thought besides balancing it was supposed to prevent leaks / flats ??????......Mike ( no colors, no emoticons )

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well this is interesting, I thought besides balancing it was supposed to prevent leaks / flats ??????......Mike ( no colors, no emoticons )
    Mike, that is what I thought also but in my case it didn't work. It wasn't a cut in the sidewall or a particularly large hole but it did not stop the leak. Another reason that I no longer use it is that I go through tires pretty quickly and it was a pain to have enough on hand and to put it in the tires. Much easier to carry the patch kit and compressor. We have used these items and they work.

Miss the colors and emoticons. Ann (no E)
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

i've used Ride-on (since purchase in 2013)

I think it helped with balancing, but at the worst.. it did no harm
    Make sure to use the correct amount for tire size

Recently replaced rear tire.
    Since rear tire was going in the garbage
    had the dealer put a nail in the rear tire, prior to changing it, to see what a happens
    - if the nail was left in.. no air leak
    - pull the nail out, are leaked out

I will put ride-on back in the rear tire
    (also carry a patch kit and compressor)

Spyder Garage

Default If I may...

When you say "patch kit" do you actually mean a chemical vulcanizing (gluing) patch or do you mean plug kit?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have used it for several years. I have had good luck with it, know for sure that it kept me from having flats on more than one occasion and that is the only thing balancing my current rear tire.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I read that Ride On doesn't work all the time. I use a plugs kit (few different kinds of plugs) kit, a can of fix a flat, and a small compressor. It has always worked in the past. That's IMHO.

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

used it and still do with the new rear rubber, had a screw in the rear took it out drove for a bit and it sealed, drove like that for the rest of the year, put on new rear rubber for my Oregon trip and new ride on as well. I WOULD DEFINETLY USE IT OVER AND OVER IMHO...

Spyder Garage

I'm having a rear tire mounted in the next day or so. All my research here told me that "ride on" was the way to go. So I'm having them not balance the tire ...we will see.

Thing is....every shop I talked to never even heard of such a thing as Ride On???

Whats up w that?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I'm having a rear tire mounted in the next day or so. All my research here told me that "ride on" was the way to go. So I'm having them not balance the tire ...we will see.

Thing is....every shop I talked to never even heard of such a thing as Ride On???

Whats up w that?

Personally, I'd avoid it. But that's just me. Get the tire balanced the right way.

Spyder Garage

I've already bought it.

Guess I'll learn if I like it or not.

Spyder Garage

I've already bought it.

Guess I'll learn if I like it or not.
    Have the tire balanced and use Ride-On. It's the best of both worlds. I have not yet had the opportunity for Ride-On to save me from a flat. But it works great to balance a tire as long as the out-of-balance isn't too great. That's why having the tire balanced is a good way to go (if you can).

A balanced tire is only 'Perfectly' balanced at some speeds with weight balancing. Then, as the tire wears the balance tends to go away some. Ride-On dynamically balances your tire as you drive. This tends to compensate for inherent out-of-balance conditions that a spin balance can't take care of.

Be sure to get the Car Tire version, NOT the motorcycle tire version. The Spyder runs car tires, not MC tires. Also the car version is better for balancing than the MC version.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Have the tire balanced and use Ride-On. It's the best of both worlds. I have not yet had the opportunity for Ride-On to save me from a flat. But it works great to balance a tire as long as the out-of-balance isn't too great. That's why having the tire balanced is a good way to go (if you can).

A balanced tire is only 'Perfectly' balanced at some speeds with weight balancing. Then, as the tire wears the balance tends to go away some. Ride-On dynamically balances your tire as you drive. This tends to compensate for inherent out-of-balance conditions that a spin balance can't take care of.

Be sure to get the Car Tire version, NOT the motorcycle tire version. The Spyder runs car tires, not MC tires. Also the car version is better for balancing than the MC version.

I'll see if I can catch them in the morning to balance as well then.

Man this stuff is confusing sometimes.

I did buy the recommended stuff for the Spyder, Which happens to be car stuff.

Spyder Garage

I'll see if I can catch them in the morning to balance as well then.

Man this stuff is confusing sometimes.

I did buy the recommended stuff for the Spyder, Which happens to be car stuff.
    Yes, it can be confusing. My guy can't balance the rear tire so I run with just Ride-On and it works fine. It really depends on how much out-of-balance you need to correct. If you get them balanced then Ride-On has less to do and it guarantees you that you'll be within the capabilities of Ride-On to do the job.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks, guess I'll give that a try.

My first tire change on a Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Well I didn't catch them in time to have it balanced after all, so I guess this tire gets the Ride On only.

Did find out that the local dealer now does laser alignments, although I don't know who's...there are a few companies out there now.

Was told a tire replacement w/ laser alignment was $170 plus tire. Not bad since I paid $45 just for the mount/balance. So another $125 would be worth not having to deal w/ it.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My Mechanic, Shawn, at Pro Caliber, on Vancouver, Or. uses it automatically when replacing tires.

Ride in comfort,
    John
    sealcreativeconcepts.com

Spyder Garage

Default Does or dosen't....

Lots of pros, cons and doubts. That it works..for sure it does. That it always works..no. From the point of view of those that actually change the tire (dismount and mount the tire on the rim) guess..!! any product inserted through the valve stem comes out like an allnighter from your stomach. Now seeing as this is not the ryders problem, unless the puncture does not seal up and your wheel wells get a bath, it's a choice. Many products like it out there and can work nicely for many. Ever mop up that stuff..?? jmo..and I know.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Lots of pros, cons and doubts. That it works..for sure it does. That it always works..no. From the point of view of those that actually change the tire (dismount and mount the tire on the rim) guess..!! any product inserted through the valve stem comes out like an allnighter from your stomach. Now seeing as this is not the ryders problem, unless the puncture does not seal up and your wheel wells get a bath, it's a choice. Many products like it out there and can work nicely for many. Ever mop up that stuff..?? jmo..and I know.

Nice post

LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your rims are already balanced from factory, check for the weights mounted to the inside of the rims. The RIDE ON smooths it out even more. If nothing else helps out with flat's, been there done that and IT WORKED FOR ME. Still use it today with new rubber.

Spyder Garage

I did not want the goo in the tires for just these reasons. I DO use the dry balancing beads. They balance as well as Ride-on and better in that they do so faster as the bike comes up to speed.

They also do not create any mess when dismounting the tire.

I had Discount tire mount my new rear tires. As they could not balance them, I did a static balance myself to get close then poured in the beads. Smooth as butter.

When they removed the Kenda tire, the beads were clean and dry in the bottom of the tire. The guy doing the work commented on them (had not seen them in a while) but they gave him no concern at all.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ride-on

[QUOTE=jcthorne;947628]I did not want the goo in the tires for just these reasons. I DO use the dry balancing beads. They balance as well as Ride-on and better in that they do so faster as the bike comes up to speed.

They also do not create any mess when dismounting the tire.

I had Discount tire mount my new rear tires. As they could not balance them, I did a static balance myself to get close then poured in the beads. Smooth as butter.

When they removed the Kenda tire, the beads were clean and dry in the bottom of the tire. The guy doing the work commented on them (had not seen them in a while) but they gave him no concern at all.

[ Ride-on does not make a mess inside the tire it forms a thin skin when in contact with the air between that and the tire is the liquid part which will fill small hole in the tire tread NOT Sidewall no plus or patch will fix sidewall puncture. I have run it for the last two years very happy am replacing the rear tire and will use it again. jtpollock]

Spyder Garage

Only got a couple rides in w the Ride On so far, haven't noticed any obvious balance issues.

Snoopy is broke right now and won't be back in riding condition for a couple weeks, hope the weather is bad.