Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    I just read on MSN some scientist believes the reason the U.S. has gotten so cold is because the Artic is warming ?? HUH ????
    makes one wonder doesn't it ?

osm
    There is some truth to the above. 45 degrees here today. Snow melting, and I have not used the snowblower once this season. Sure hope that statement does not bring me bad luck. We have had zero degrees a couple times in our area--but nothing into the lower double digits.

I sure hope Mother Nature is not just screwing a bit with us...

I won't mention "stupid" because I want to keep it non-political.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Cloud seeding?

Government has been seeding clouds for more moisture for how many years? As long as I can remember.
    2014 Pearl White RT, TriAxis handlebar, BaJaron Bar&Links, Spyderpops belt guard, bumpskid & stainless grilles, Seal Dlx boards, JT's Dash Mount, SmoothSpyder belt tensioner, HMT brake, TricFender led's, mudflap lights, air horn, Squared Away laser alignment

Spyder Garage

This isn't about what happens in one place during one season, but rather about an overall change that can effect the intensity and type of weather all over the world. I would very much like Global Warming to be wrong, but I don't think that's the case.

Here is a great article that applies to all of this (be it about global warming or immunizations):

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...achenbach-text

Spyder Garage

The world has been much colder than it is now, and it has been warmer than it is now. All long before 'Industrialization' took place.

If you do a study that supports Man Made Climate Change, then it gets published, you get pats on the back and opportunities for grant money.

If you do a study and find that Climate Change is not Man Caused, it will not get published, you will be ostracized from the 'Scientific' community, and you can forget any grant money.

Science based on RESULTS and not Method is propaganda, not science.

Therefore, Man Made Climate Change is a Mantra, not a scientific endeavor to find the truth.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

It isn't hard to find the money or the politics on either side of the conversation:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/us...=top-news&_r=0

I tend to think both sides here have a knee jerk reaction to believe what they want to believe, and find the data to support their position. I'm not a scientist, so I don't claim to fully understand climate change (or what those chemicals in vaccines do, but I damn well want them). The science of what is happening (or not happening) isn't political; it is a matter of figuring out the facts. Laws are political, but science at the very least should be looked at with a critical open mind.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    We may be influencing the weather to some degree but exactly to what degree is up for grabs and very difficult to exactly pinpoint.

The very nature of our world is extremely complicated with too many variables even for our best supercomputers to precisely model.
    Computers are dumb mathematical processors. The models they run are only as good as the knowledge and understanding of the people who wrote the program. GIGO is still the rule.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default HOPEFULLY

HOPEFULLY HE'S BURNING IN HELL WHERE HE BELONGS WITH HIS IDIOTIC'GLOBAL WARMING' BS......
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

C'mon Dan; tell us what you REALLY think!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    C'mon Dan; tell us what you REALLY think!
    come on bob!!! egg him on a little more!!! we all want to know what he thinks!!!

Spyder Garage

Default I am not going to get into a "Who shot JR"

Quote Originally Posted by Nor-Cal Spyder View Post
    Your sure, really. Let's hear you name a few...
    but here are a few.

These believe GW is a natural occurrence with humans having no effect

Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidTNDawg View Post
    but here are a few.

I guess he showed us the money.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Why isn't this in the Off Topic section?
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Al gore is busy in his bunker recounting chads

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

When ones attacks the people instead of making a meaningful challenge to the ideas, those who agree may enjoy the laugh, but those who disagree can easily dismiss the comment for the personal attack that it is.

Al Gore (sucks/fails/whatever) does nothing to prove or disprove a scientific question far too complex for most of us to have an opinion on outside of what we are told by those we trust (which, I would hope, are scientists rather than politicians).

There are good people and bad people on both sides of virtually all controversies. The thing is, discrediting Gore's character doesn't discredit global warming. Chances are very good that you share some positions with people you really don't like, and disagree with people that you like and respect very much.

Spyder Garage

Not sure if i wanted to chime in with this one but what the heck lol. Gore is a peahead, however i do not believe you cant keep burning and putting massive amounts of carbon into the atmosphere without it having some effect. We have done a lot to reduce the emissions, especially here in CA, but i think the burning of fossil fuels is no where near an end and will continue to increase the amount of carbon in the atmosphere. One day when they figure out how to put a meter on sunlight then Solar will be everywhere and be 10x as effective as it is now. The sun puts out more energy in 1 minute than all humanity has used since the beginning of time. Sure we only get 1% or whatever directed at the earth but that 1% i am sure can power most the world but unless they can charge you monthly instead of a one time fee we wont have it.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    Not sure if i wanted to chime in with this one but what the heck lol. Gore is a peahead, however i do not believe you cant keep burning and putting massive amounts of carbon into the atmosphere without it having some effect. We have done a lot to reduce the emissions, especially here in CA, but i think the burning of fossil fuels is no where near an end and will continue to increase the amount of carbon in the atmosphere. One day when they figure out how to put a meter on sunlight then Solar will be everywhere and be 10x as effective as it is now. The sun puts out more energy in 1 minute than all humanity has used since the beginning of time. Sure we only get 1% or whatever directed at the earth but that 1% i am sure can power most the world but unless they can charge you monthly instead of a one time fee we wont have it.
    In this case, there is no "them". To my understanding, solar companies compete with other forms of power.

I'm not saying that those in power may not try to slow down the process, but technology always finds a way (like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSpyder View Post
    Ignorance running rampant in this thread! Of course, Climate Change deniers know more than the scientists that study such things...
    Two PhD degrees here. Taught statistics at the university. If you use Gausian statistics to predict outcomes of a non-gausian system, you get erroneous results. This is why Gaussian statistics do so poorly when predicting the stock market. Climate change is a non-Gausian system. It is either mandlebrot or fractal. Climate scientists have been using Gaussian statistics in their models. Moreover, they cannot model the effect of clouds. Also, climate "warming" has received $35 BILLION in Federal grants. Other climate studies have received 0.1% of that ($35 million). If you were a researcher, where would you put your conclusions? (Hint: Follow the money)
    Last edited by Dan_Ashley; 02-26-2015 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Auto correct keeps messing up mandlebrot
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default Almost afraid to ask,

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    Two PhD degrees here. Taught statistics at the university. If you use Gausian statistics to predict outcomes of a non-gausian system, you get erroneous results. This is why Gaussian statistics do so poorly when predicting the stock market. Climate change is a non-Gausian system. It is either mandlebrot or fractal. Climate scientists have been using Gaussian statistics in their models. Moreover, they cannot model the effect of clouds. Also, climate "warming" has received $35 BILLION in Federal grants. Other climate studies have received 0.1% of that ($35 million). If you were a researcher, where would you put your conclusions? (Hint: Follow the money)
    I agree Al Gore is a peahead, but a very rich peahead. he has certainly "followed the Money"
    Seems the last time I went to Yosemite, standing at the canyon floor, was 1000 feet under ice years ago.
    For someone who had been out of school for many years, can you give a simple explanation for the difference between "mandlebrot or fractal"? I always thought they were similar.
    2014 Pearl white RTS

Spyder Garage

Now my head is hurting.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidTNDawg View Post
    but here are a few.

MidTNDAWG

Now your statement has some validity. See, that wasn't so hard.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Now my head is hurting.
    But...In a nice way for me.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Princeau99 View Post
    I agree Al Gore is a peahead, but a very rich peahead. he has certainly "followed the Money"
    Seems the last time I went to Yosemite, standing at the canyon floor, was 1000 feet under ice years ago.
    For someone who had been out of school for many years, can you give a simple explanation for the difference between "mandlebrot or fractal"? I always thought they were similar.
    by "mandlebrot" I intended to include Levy Distributions, scaling laws, non-Gausian (paretian ) as well as fractals. Mandlebrot developed only two of those, the Levy and fractal.

What is interesting is that much social science is non-Gausian, whereas most pure physical science is Gaussian. Climatology is not a pure physical science. It incorporates chemistry, physics, atmospheric studies, geology, astronomy, and possibly others. As a result of this complexity the temperature observations taken on land, at sea and in the atmosphere are not independent events.

Since the observations are inter-related--even in a minor degree--Gaussian statistics is not appropriate for the analysis of the climate data.

there is a very good study published in 2002 which describes in fairly readable English--if you have had college algebra and introductory statistics--what I am talking about. Let me know if you want the reference and I'll look it up. I just can't remember the journal, date and author off the top of my head. Sorry--retirement brain, you know.
    Last edited by Dan_Ashley; 02-26-2015 at 05:19 PM. Reason: auto correct changed math into CITIES!
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Seems many are confusing weather and climate.... Two entirely different things. We all trust science every time we go for a ride, yet many still think there's some kind of 'fix' by 90+% of the worlds scientists. Ugh.
    Okay... Fine.. Don't want to accept the factual data backing up climate change..... How about getting behind solar and wind energy just because it's good for our planet? Why not reduce emissions just because it's nice to breathe clean air? If that doesn't do it.... How about for saving tons of money?
    Who are you really going to believe on all of this..... Scientists.... Or big oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dan,
    Glad to see you again!!

*BING*