Thread: Heat Issues??

Spyder Garage

Default Heat Issues??

Do the 2014 ST's have any Heat issues like the 2013"s?

Thanks
    Rich

Spyder Garage

Default No..!!

the 2013's (and only some of them) had the heat issues you are constantly reading about. Brp has come up with some patches and working on other modifications but you have nothing to worry about on the 14's....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry to say, the OP was referring to Spyder ST not RT.

The 2014 ST is nearly identical to the 13 except for 4 body panels that were replaced. The 2013s have already been updated for those and the ECM updates. At this point, 2013 thru 2015 Spyder ST are functionally identical.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rworell View Post
    Do the 2014 ST's have any Heat issues like the 2013"s?

Thanks
    Rich
    No heat issues with the 2014 ST.

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

it's 21 degrees outside, heat issue is the last thing to worry about

Spyder Garage

Default heat issue's

My 2 week old 2014 ST was picked up by the dealer last week. Limp Home mode and running hot kept showing up. Replacing the Fan motor this week.

Hope that corrects the problem.

Spyder Garage

I have a new 2014 ST and the heat on the right side is horrible. I had an Fan Can on my 09 RS but have been told it won't work on the ST. Does anyone have any suggestions for the heat coming out of the right side. I have highway pegs that are a bit longer than standard and even in boots, socks and jeans I can't stand the heat.

Help/Suggestions will be appreciated.

SpyderLady

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat Issues

I have a 2013 and used to have a lot of heat right in front of the seat and on the sides.
    Since getting all the updates and the new panels. I have no heat issues anymore.
    I was out for about 50 miles today. (In Minnesota) We don't get to do that much in March here!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderLady View Post
    I have a new 2014 ST and the heat on the right side is horrible. I had an Fan Can on my 09 RS but have been told it won't work on the ST. Does anyone have any suggestions for the heat coming out of the right side. I have highway pegs that are a bit longer than standard and even in boots, socks and jeans I can't stand the heat.

I can symtethise but your two options are to trade it in for an RT or F3 or mod the bike to direct the heat away from your foot/leg. While mine is an RT some of this is similar. We blocked the right side radiator discharge vents entirely, removed the lower underbody covers and revised the duct behind the radiator to direct the heat down at the road rather than out the side. For us, it solved the hot foot problem entirely.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Sorry to say, the OP was referring to Spyder ST not RT.

The 2014 ST is nearly identical to the 13 except for 4 body panels that were replaced. The 2013s have already been updated for those and the ECM updates. At this point, 2013 thru 2015 Spyder ST are functionally identical.
    Mine is not updated, and BRP is having me take it to dealer for analysis.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I can symtethise but your two options are to trade it in for an RT or F3 or mod the bike to direct the heat away from your foot/leg. While mine is an RT some of this is similar. We blocked the right side radiator discharge vents entirely, removed the lower underbody covers and revised the duct behind the radiator to direct the heat down at the road rather than out the side. For us, it solved the hot foot problem entirely.
    JT, Thanks but I can't trade it in I just bought it. Can you pm me with a little more detail on blocking the right side radiator discharge vents, removing the lower underbody covers and what you did to revise the duct behind the radiator. Just need a little guidance here.

Thanks

SpyderLady

Spyder Garage

SpyderPops air management system was developed for the RS which is similar to the ST. You should check out His site for possible solutions for the ST.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ZRCAT600 View Post
    I have a 2013 and used to have a lot of heat right in front of the seat and on the sides.
    Since getting all the updates and the new panels. I have no heat issues anymore.
    I was out for about 50 miles today. (In Minnesota) We don't get to do that much in March here!!
    I see references to updates and new panels, are those something BRP covers or is the owner responsible for the cost of those things?
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    I see references to updates and new panels, are those something BRP covers or is the owner responsible for the cost of those things?
    Some here had to buy the panels at first. BRP paid for my panels and I think most everyone is now getting them under warranty. The updates are all covered under warranty.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

My highway pegs were almost in front of the vent on my ST and I could barely keep my foot there, at highway speeds the heat just poured out of there.
    My GS has the same pegs and no heat issues on the right foot.
    After wondering what the difference could be I removed both right panels and discovered they had blocked off the space between the outside of the of the radiator and side panel with plastic on the ST.
    All the air was coming through the radiator where on the GS the ambient air was coming in the right front side vents and gap and kind of mixing and dissipating the hot air.
    I used a dremel and cut out the plastic piece to let air come in like on the GS.
    Then it was just as cool as the GS and never noticed any increase in engine temps at all.
    Wish I had taken pics, but if you look through the 2 front vents on both models you can see the GS is open and the ST is blocked off.

Spyder Garage

I have ordered the Fan Cam from ISCI. CaptJim, wish I had seen the information about the difference in the panels on the 14 ST and opening it up. Not an issue, tho because I have used the Fan Cam before and it is good.

Thank you all again for the assistance.

SpyderLady

Spyder Garage

I'm
    I have ordered the Fan Cam from ISCI. CaptJim, wish I had seen the information about the difference in the panels on the 14 ST and opening it up. Not an issue, tho because I have used the Fan Cam before and it is good.

Thank you all again for the assistance.
    Do they make a fan can for the ST?
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

Did anyone come up with a good method for the heat issue? SpyderPops air deflection redirect and the other company (whoever) has the fan can does not fit on the 2014 ST-S.

I know I can remove the bottom pan, but I'm not sure about blocking off the out-take for the radiator fan/heat. That seems like it would heat up the entire underneath part more than it should even with the bottom pan off.

Thanks for all suggestions!

FYI...I now have the highway pegs...Love them...hate the heat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!